VOGONS

Common searches

Movie or not movie?

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

First post, by Unregistered

User metadata

I'm having trouble with movie sound in Tomb raider. Or is it movie sound. Those fancy widescreen movie bits are fine, but I had no sound when I finished level 4, shot a guy and then he (I assume) reveals the plot.

Any help?

jim

Reply 1 of 11, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by Unregistered I'm having trouble with movie sound in Tomb raider. Or is it movie sound.

Ah...so it's either "movie sound" or "movie sound" that's the problem. Hrmm...

Those fancy widescreen movie bits are fine, but I had no sound when I finished level 4, shot a guy and then he (I assume) reveals the plot.

Ok, now we're getting somewhere. You're apparently referring to what some people call "in-game cinematics". Now here's what I find odd: if you're not getting audio there, you shouldn't be getting sound effects within the game.

The only other thing I can figure is that maybe your playing the early version of TR, where the audio and/or dialog for these scenes was played off of the CD instead of the hard drive. Of course, if that was true, you should also be missing the music on the game's start screen as well as the atmospheric background audio in the game.

Reply 2 of 11, by Schadenfreude

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Nicht Sehr Gut wrote:

Ah...so it's either "movie sound" or "movie sound" that's the problem. Hrmm...

NichtPick:
I realize you are picking on a weird American English turn of phrase that rarely sees itself printed.

But here's what he's saying:

Originally posted by UnregisteredI'm having trouble with movie sound in Tomb raider. Or is it movie sound.

Read as:
"I'm having trouble with movie sound in Tomb Raider - or IS it INDEED movie sound?" 😮

Not:
"I'm having trouble with movie sound in Tomb Raider. OR, INSTEAD, is it (could it be) MOVIE SOUND which is the trouble?"
(At least, I don't think Unregistered is that... dense...)

Don't ask me why I'm good at these things. Part of the problem with online communications is lack of inflection, people are left to assume their own ideas.

Or were you trying to be humorous? Another problem with online communications. Was the "Hrmmm." supposed to indicate this? There was no 😉 or 😁 appended!

Hrmmm. 😉

Reply 4 of 11, by Kaminari

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

If we're talking about Larson spitting the beans in the ingame cutscene (not a FMV) at the end of Vilcabamba, then yes, the dialog is read from the CD.

Either it's another victim of the 'too slow starting / too fast spinning' issue with modern CD drives (which can leads to total desync or even cutscene skipping like in TR2), or it's the problem described by Nicht about the CD audio being actually silent (Unregistered could confirm this by checking whether he gets the title tune playing or not).

The former problem may be partly resolved by using CD-ROM Tool.

Reply 6 of 11, by Kaminari

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hi Jim,

Look into your VDMS folder and edit your autoexec.vdms file with Notepad. We're interested in this part:

REM Install CD ROM extensions - to enable, uncomment the line immediately below:
REM lh %SystemRoot%\system32\mscdexnt.exe

Just uncomment the second line as stated (ie. delete the REM command), save the file and you should be fine.

REM Install CD ROM extensions - to enable, uncomment the line immediately below:
lh %SystemRoot%\system32\mscdexnt.exe

Reply 7 of 11, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by Schadenfreude NichtPick:

Ooooo...aren't you the witty one. *heh*

But here's what he's saying:
Part of the problem with online communications is lack of inflection, people are left to assume their own ideas.

I kind of figured that. It's just that there's no indication of inflection with the text. So it looked funny.

Or were you trying to be humorous?

Apparently "trying" is the key word.

Was the "Hrmmm." supposed to indicate this? There was no 😉 or 😁 appended!

I avoid smileys. Besides, Hrrmm... means I'm pondering. Whether I serious in my pondering is meant to be a mystery....also to be pondered. Hrmmm...

Originally posted by Glidos I think one of the dialogs is on the CD

The Gold version installs the dialogs to the hard drive and plays them there. The earlier versions had the dialogs as audio tracks, which were played from the CD.

Reply 8 of 11, by fridgeraider

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

.......well I wondered why I couldn't get ingame movie sound

Hi chaps - I posted here last year and eventually got Glidos to work & it's absolutely thrilling to play TR1 ( first time) with the smooth look of II & III so I'm playing it very slowly, (at least until AOD is selling half price).

Having completed Europe so far, there are just a couple of minor niggles with the cut scenes and movies - (which I'm posting elswhere about being too dark to see important details which are not rendered that fantastic as it is).

Can't hear any sound in the end of chapter movies (This is the only absence of sound) and I have to confess my woeful ignorance in trying to follow your remedy above re. editing VDMS file

What is VDMS?
Where can I find this autoexec.vdms file? (in order to asforesaid edit)

I bought my TR1 CD from Electronic Boutique's "Sold Out software" series - id that helps.

this Glidos server is the business - it would be great if I could tweak things to get the sound running in the movies (and the cut scene quality brighter too) 😎

A pair of glasses go up to the bar and ask for a drink ~ The barman says, "Sorry sir, I can't serve you - your'e off your face!".

Reply 10 of 11, by Guest

User metadata
Kaminari wrote:

If we're talking about Larson spitting the beans in the ingame cutscene (not a FMV) at the end of Vilcabamba, then yes, the dialog is read from the CD.

Either it's another victim of the 'too slow starting / too fast spinning' issue with modern CD drives (which can leads to total desync or even cutscene skipping like in TR2), or it's the problem described by Nicht about the CD audio being actually silent (Unregistered could confirm this by checking whether he gets the title tune playing or not).

The former problem may be partly resolved by using CD-ROM Tool.

Reply 11 of 11, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I was going to delete that post, but since the topic is already locked I'll just mention how much I ***HATE*** seeing anonymous posts on forums that are either empty or just a quote of a previous post with nothing added.