VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by DedHed

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

At first, video for the whole game was so bad it was unplayable. Then I installed the latest version of Glidos, and now the game levels lookoutstanding (Nice job, Paul! Watch for my $10 soon). But the video cut scenes are still unwatchable. There's sound, but the picture is kind of smeared across the screen. I have an ATI Radeon 7200.

I installed Escape Player, and can successfully view the cutscenes, even in full screen mode. Ideally, I'd like to get the game to show the cutscenes, rather then save, exit, run Escape Player, then load my game again.

I seem to recall having this same problem with the cutscenes in Wing Commander III, but can't remember what I did to fix it.

Any tips are appreciated!

CQ

Reply 1 of 5, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by DedHed At first, video for the whole game was so bad it was unplayable.

Compared to...? Unless you're using the lower-res mode (for under-powered PC's), it's reasonable.

Then I installed the latest version of Glidos, and now the game levels lookoutstanding (Nice job, Paul! Watch for my soon). But the video cut scenes are still unwatchable. There's sound, but the picture is kind of smeared across the screen. I have an ATI Radeon 7200.

Might try changing the DosGraphics setting in your GLIDOS.INI file.

Quit GliDOS and load up the GLIDOS.INI file. Look under the entry for "Tomb Raider". Try changing the setting from Yes to No and save the file. Then try running it with GliDOS again.

Reply 3 of 5, by fridgeraider

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Might try changing the DosGraphics setting in your GLIDOS.INI file.

Quit GliDOS and load up the GLIDOS.INI file. Look under the entry for "Tomb Raider". Try changing the setting from Yes to No and save the file. Then try running it with GliDOS again.

😕

I'm trying to follow this as I'm can't see the cut scenes too well - they have sound but are rough & pixelly

The cut scenes are rendered really crappily by TR, and there's not much Glidos can do to improve them.

OK

but they are also very dark so what detail there is I miss..... I have altered the brightness for the game with the Glidos server but the cut scenes *sigh*:(

How does one "load up the GLIDOS.INI file."?
I'd like to improve the quality somehow

Reply 4 of 5, by Glidos

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

If you are using Windows 95, 98 or ME then Gldios can't do anything to improve the cut scenes. Even when Glidos does take them over, they look pretty bad. But the cut scenes are a tiny part of the game.

Reply 5 of 5, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by fridgeraider I'm trying to follow this as I'm can't see the cut scenes too well - they have sound but are rough & pixelly

They always were rough & pixelly and will continue to be that way in the future.

...but they are also very dark so what detail there is I miss..... I have altered the brightness for the game with the Glidos server but the cut scenes

This sounds familiar. Have you replaced your monitor yet?

How does one "load up the GLIDOS.INI file."?

*pause*
Double-click the GLIDOS.INI file. If it doesn't load into Notepad for you will get the "Open with" window. Choose Notepad from that window, then click OK. From that point forward, it should open the file every time you click on it.

I'd like to improve the quality somehow

Like Paul said, it probably won't help in Win98/ME.