VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Glidos

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

New Glidos version 1.42. Two main changes:

1) Set up to work under 32bit Vista "straight out of the box".

2) Much faster Glide emulation from the Direct3D. At last I've
worked out what I've been doing wrong all this time. psVoodoo
is now really fast. This also makes psVoodoo a good option for
Redbaron (where you just need Glide2x.dll and no other part of
Glidos).

Reply 1 of 14, by Zebius

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

High Paul!

Nice new icon 😉

Glidos is not working for me with TR1 on Windows 7 beta, any plans to make it W7 compatible? I could test it for you.
VDos32 just hangs with standard error window: VDos32 MFC application has stopped working...

I tried both OpenGL and Direct3D mode. VDMSound installed.

Reply 3 of 14, by Zebius

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

There are 32 and 64-bit versions. I'm using 32-bit.

I tried running Glidos without Vdos32, and I got error:

Program is already loaded (vddloader.dll). Please unload before attempting to reload.

Restarting Windows doesn't help. When I try to close this error window it still reappears.

Reply 4 of 14, by Glidos

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Oh, this is going to be more hell. When Vista came out, I bought the 64bit version hoping to make VDos32 work on it, only to find that Microsoft had made that close to impossible. I had no other use for Vista, so it's sitting on the drive of my old PC doing nothing. I really don't want to buy a copy of W7 and have the same experience.

Can you get any more info from the error window? Possibly it could point to something that isn't too bad to fix.

Reply 5 of 14, by Zebius

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

There are no details unfortunately, so I've made screenshots with and without VDOS32. Maybe if you write log version for testing it would show what is wrong. And if you think about getting W7 - the RC version will be released for public testing in May'09, so everybody can download and use it for free until 1 June'10 (probably).

No VDos32:

Attachments

Last edited by Zebius on 2009-03-27, 13:42. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 10 of 14, by Zebius

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

When I set audio to 'Play mp3 tracks' trackfake is run. In remaining cases (Control CD and None) the window looks exactly like on the screenshot in my previous post.

In all cases the 'VDD Error' window pops up exactly in the moment when an inscription 'Loading VDDloader.dll'... appears in Tomb window.

I tried uninstalling VDMSound and then I manually put all VDMSound files in C:\program files\VDMSound folder. But in that case when trying to run TR by Glidos I got error 'ntvdm.exe has caused a problem and need to be closed' (something like that, i don't remember exactly).

Reply 11 of 14, by Glidos

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Zebius wrote:
High Paul! […]
Show full quote

High Paul!

Nice new icon 😉

Glidos is not working for me with TR1 on Windows 7 beta, any plans to make it W7 compatible? I could test it for you.
VDos32 just hangs with standard error window: VDos32 MFC application has stopped working...

I tried both OpenGL and Direct3D mode. VDMSound installed.

A recent update to Windows XP caused VDos32 to stop working for me. I've fixed the problem; perhaps I've fixed what stopped it working under Windows 7. Might be worth trying the new version (v0.8b)

Reply 12 of 14, by Zebius

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Well done, Paul! 😀
It works now, both psvoodoo and openGL - Windows 7 beta build 7000, Radeon 3850 with Catalyst drivers 9.4.

The only thing I would change in Glidos is adding better support for widescreen resolutions. I have 19'' LCD with 1440x900 native resolution and using 1024x768 (or other 4:3 resolution) gives me black borders on the left and right side. It's probably due to driver GPU scaling/maintain aspect ratio option enabled by default. However on Win7 this option is not displayed in Catalyst Control Center so I can't switch it off. I know there is an option 'Inhibit mode change (wide screen)' in Glidos but when I activate it I get black borders on all sides so the game is displayed in window.
Could you do something about it?

Anyway it's a great news that Glidos works on Win7, now I'm sure I will upgrade my XP when Win7 will be released 😉

Reply 13 of 14, by Glidos

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Oh amazing. I didn't really expect that to work. I thought the problems with W7 were likely to be something a lot more complicated.

Concerning playing widescreen. I don't think it's possible to solve. The game itself cannot generate the content for widescreen, so either it's black borders at the side, or bits lost top and bottom, or scaling that ,makes Lara fat.

Reply 14 of 14, by z9d10

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Paul if you would like I have an ISO of the W7 beta release candidate ( and an actual MS issued key ) that I haven't had time to fool with and would be happy to forward . It is suppose to work until september of this year . Although I heard that for developers and some MS partners MS is releasing a w7 release canidate I saw the link here : http://tech.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=09/04/18/2354218