VOGONS

Common searches

TR1 on 64-bit Vista problem

Topic actions

First post, by tommypou

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I've got Tomb Raider 1 working, but the in-game cut scenes have no sound.

I know there'd be a solution to this if I were using Glidos and VDos32 but since i have 64-bit, not 32-bit Vista, I can't use them.

Does anyone know if Glidos is working on a 64-bit version of these? 😢

Reply 3 of 53, by Glidos

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
batracio wrote:

We were already trying to help you here:

Tomb Raider I

Why do you open another thread, without even bothering to reply gidierre and me?

If he was looking to contact me then it makes sense to post also here. I don't subscribe to anything other than the Glidos and OpenGlide forums.

Reply 6 of 53, by Glidos

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I don't know if it helps, but you can tell your dad that the author of Glidos vouches for DOSBox. There's no way it can harm your computer. It runs as an ordinary Windows app. If anything VDos32 works in a more weird way, although that is also perfectly safe.

Reply 9 of 53, by batracio

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Tommypou, does your dad know that he will have to pay $10 in order to let you use Glidos and VDos32, while DosBox is completely free?

Does he know that DosBox is open source software, that is, you can download the source code and check that there is no way it can harm your computer, while if you try to download an illegal copy of Glidos to avoid paying $10, you could install a hidden virus that will certainly harm your computer?

And finally, do you know that Paul hasn't found yet the way to make Glidos and VDos32 work in Vista x64, while DosBox is able to run TR1 right now?

Reply 10 of 53, by gidierre

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Glidos wrote:

I don't know if it helps, but you can tell your dad that the author of Glidos vouches for DOSBox. There's no way it can harm your computer. It runs as an ordinary Windows app. If anything VDos32 works in a more weird way, although that is also perfectly safe.

at any rate the above sentences are the perfect epitome of fairness and personal straightforwardness by Paul, if ever need was to stress it again which isn't

particularly since everyone realizes Dosbox is a direct Glidos' competitor of sorts, freeware to boot,
so I guess hardly anyone is seen (at least, that I've seen) who praises his rival this way, not even when there were no shareware (money) considerations involved

so, someone had to say it and I'll be the one:
chapeau to Paul (excuse my French 😉 )
you're THE man 😀

finally Tommypou:
if Paul's and Batracio's words were not authoritative enough 😜,
I'm going to add my rusting cent and emphasize that Dosbox won't hurt your machine and is the only piece of software able (ok, so far) to run TR1/UB on a 64bit machine, period

all other tools honorably working under Xp/Vista 32bit
are still left wondering at the sound of that tune:

Will you still need me, will you still feed me,
When I'm 64
(bit)? ♪♫

We often forgive those who bore us, but we cannot forgive those whom we bore. (La Rochefoucauld)

Reply 11 of 53, by Glidos

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
gidierre wrote:

Will you still need me, will you still feed me,
When I'm 64
(bit)? ♪♫

🤣. I love it.

Anyway, I have plans for 64bit. For ages I've been planning to add DOSBox support to Glidos, and I might have the time in the next month or so. It looks like I just have to add VDD support to DOSBox, and it'll all just work. I think it's worth the effort so that people can use the TRX textures and the stereo anaglyph support under 64bit OSs.

It's a pain that it's so hard to get VDos32 working under 64bit. It's hard because VDos32 is a virtual DOS environment rather than an emulator. It needs to access the LDT, and there's no support for that in the 32bit subsystem of 64bit OSs. Plus patchguard stops anyone adding LDT access.

Reply 12 of 53, by tannerstevo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I am really looking forward to 64-bit support in GliDOS. If you need anyone to do some testing for you, be sure to let me know. I will help you in any way that I can.

Reply 13 of 53, by tommypou

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I showed my Dad everything you guys wrote but he thinks people go on DOSBox and mess up the programme so that it destroys other people's computers. He also doesn't believe that there is any way of testing if using DOSBox will harm the computer.

So it looks like I'll have to wait for Glidos to support 64-bit Vista, although I may be able to try a few more things first. 😖

Reply 14 of 53, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Well if GliDOS does integrate DOSBox into his program then you would be using DOSBox anyway so you wouldn't be able to use it......

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 16 of 53, by Glidos

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
tommypou wrote:

I showed my Dad everything you guys wrote but he thinks people go on DOSBox and mess up the programme so that it destroys other people's computers. He also doesn't believe that there is any way of testing if using DOSBox will harm the computer.

Strange. I wonder where he's heard that from. Certainly a malicious person could create an infected version of DOSBox, but that's true of any program. If you download it directly from sourceforge, then you know you are getting a copy built by one of the authors. Another trusted source is gidierre's TR installer (which will also set it up to run TR for you).

Your Dad is definitely right to be careful, and I respect the stance he's taking. The web is a mine field, and I've seen many computers heavily infected with spy ware and viruses through lack of care in what the users install. But programs like DOSBox which are so well known and have well-defined locations for download are perfectly safe... provided that's where you download them from, of course.

Reply 17 of 53, by batracio

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
tommypou wrote:

Actually there is at least one: run DosBox inside a Linux session inside a virtual machine without neither shared folders nor networking. If DosBox harms your host system in this setup, I'll buy you another computer.

But, of course, this doesn't solve the problem as those Linux guys mess up all distros to destroy other people's computer, and so do those Microsoft and Sun guys with their Virtual PC and VirtualBox malware.

Reply 18 of 53, by BigBodZod

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I get the feeling that his dad is of the opinion that *all* open-source software is hacker tools and hence no way it will work on his computer.

My suggestion is to save up enough funds to purchase your own computer instead 😉

Check you local Goodwill Stores and School Auctions for older machines that are still capable of running XP Home and then add some RAM and DOSbox to it....

No matter where you go, there you are...