VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by TRNovice

User metadata

Hi,

I was around the old forum a while back, struggling to get TR to work with Glidos on XP. I managed to get everything to work, then some problem required me to reinstall some element (can't remember which one - helpful I know) and I was back to problems after problems. At that point I gave up.

Leapt back into the water with the notice about the XP TR Launcher at http://www.tombraiderchronicles.com - I've downloaded the latest version of Glidos (1.24 right?) of VDMSound (1.0.0.7 right?) and the launcher (picking the with Glidos option). I got an error when running the launcher install about an error with install.exe. I think this might be because my DVD drive is E: but I have a ZIP drive labelled D: (just a guess).

Anyway - I get the following (and this now begins to feel awfully familiar): -

I don't get the Eidos / Core intro, or the following FMV, just black screens - however I can escape past these and get the game menu, start a new game and (though the FMV once again doesn’t run) the actual game graphics are accelerated fine. All is well with the ambient music as well, but I get no other sounds (guns drawing or firing or darts making whatever noise darts do). I know that this is a typical problem (and yes I did have it before), but I'm afraid I'm not technically savvy enough to figure out the solution (I've manually loaded VDMSound - no difference).

Also - somewhere in the process I've got back to the spinning Glidos text - I did pay for the kosher version (just after that brief time when it was all working (pre-whatever I had to reinstall - see above), but I don't think I have any record of the key.

HELP!!!!

Reply 5 of 8, by TRNovice

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

OK, a bit more information.

I was messing about trying to take bits and pieces from the 27 million different TR installs I now have on my PC and managed to hit an almost winning combination.

When I ran TR from Glidos, I got an error saying DOSDRV not found (as I didn't have the VDMSound files in this folder), but then the FMVs started fine and drawing the guns had sound and shooting as well.

I then copied the VDMSound files into the same directory and tried again. This time DOSDRV was found and VDMSound was loaded and lo and behold, no FMVs and not gun sounds.

Changing the name to ~DOSDRV.exe and all is well again. So I guess the problem is with VDMSound (or its configuration), not Glidos.

The only fly in the ointment is that the sound is pretty poor without VDM - very crackly and indistinct.

Can anyone advise on how I might set up VDMSound better so I can have it, Glidos and TR peacefully coexisting (and please remember that I don't understand too much about PCs) - thx.

Reply 8 of 8, by James Nix

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

TRNovice,

Did you perform an UPGRADE to XP (NOT a "clean install")?

I so from what OS did you upgrade?

It might help to check out my hair pulling session getting it to work:

Tomb 1 + VDM + Glidos = No Game Action Sounds .... at:

showthread.php?s=&threadid=1854&highlight=Glidos+VDMSound

Skip to the end and see problems with the AUTOEXEC.NT and CONFIG.NT in an UPGRADE from Win ME to Win XP that I ran into, it explains DOSDRV not being found on a GLIDOS start (in my case anyway).

Muad Dib