VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Wildman

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I just got my unlock codes for Glidos this morning , Tombraider and Lara looks real sweet ! It took less than six hours from when I paid , thanks Paul !

MY Question is......... I have version 1.17(c) , and I saw version 1.18 is now available. What was changed ? Do I need to update to V 1.18 ? If I need to update , is there a sticky somewhere on how to do it ?

I did a search here about updating Glidos but didn't find anything I understood.

Thanks,

Soyo K7V Dragon+
Athlon 2100XP
512MB DDR PC2100 Crucial
WinXP pro
Radeon 8500 retail
CMI 8738 onboard sound
TombRaider1 & UB
VDMsound
Glidos

Reply 1 of 8, by Glidos

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

There isn't a proper uninstaller. The best thing to do is make a safe copy of authority.txt from the Glidos folder. If you have made changes to glidos.ini, make a safe copy of that too. Then delete the Glidos folder, and reinstall with v1.18. Put the authority.txt file back in the new Glidos folder and maybe remake your changes to glidos.ini by hand. All should be well.

I'd recommend upgrading. v1.18 has VESA support so that Glidos
handles the FMV sequences, making them a bit brighter and more colourful, and also lessening the chance of crashes caused by DOS fullscreen mode.

Also v1.18 supports Extreme Assault, so you can grab the demo of that and have a play if you like.

Cheers,
Paul.

Reply 2 of 8, by Wildman

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks for the directions Glidos ! I'll have to take a look at that glidos.ini to see whats in there to change , I'll do a search here on it and your site before hand. Sounds like some great stuff .

I'm real happy I didn't throw away TR1 , it's just like a newly released game for me, I never finished the game before because of the grotty grahics, and I didn't have my Voodoo3 2k card in my machine long enough to try it.

Soyo K7V Dragon+
Athlon 2100XP
512MB DDR PC2100 Crucial
WinXP pro
Radeon 8500 retail
CMI 8738 onboard sound
TombRaider1 & UB
VDMsound
Glidos

Reply 3 of 8, by Glidos

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Great! Have fun.

Note, there is no need to worry about what is in the Glidos.ini file,
unless you have made changes to it in the past using a text editor. If you didn't know the file exisited then just don't worry about it.

And, get yourself a copy of Redguard; you know it makes sense 😀

Reply 4 of 8, by Wildman

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Bad news , I followed your directions , which where easy for me to understand , but when I launched the updated version (1:18), I didn't get a full dos screen when all the dos writing is going across sreen . Instead I get a smaller dos screen , a smaller windowed one on my desktop that does have VMDsound launching and a bunch of other dos print , quite a lot of writing , HeHe , thats the best I can describe it , bear with me.

Then a small grey window pops up and says this;

Glidos.exe - Application Error

The instruction at "0x691d3f32 referenced memory at "0x000000000".

The memory could not be "read".

and then;
Click on OK to Terminate the program
Click on CANCEL to debug the program

Good news , after spending hours of trying this and that to get version 1.18 working , yeah , everything I know , I reinstall version 1.17 and everything works like it did before.

1.17 works like a charm , and I'm gonna stick with what works , unless somebody here would like to take my upgrade to 1.18 further, I'm patient.

Soyo K7V Dragon+
Athlon 2100XP
512MB DDR PC2100 Crucial
WinXP pro
Radeon 8500 retail
CMI 8738 onboard sound
TombRaider1 & UB
VDMsound
Glidos

Reply 5 of 8, by Glidos

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

That's the wonderful new VESA support I've put in. Good hey! You can get back to 1.17 behaviour by deleting the line that says

VESASupport: Yes

from the Glidos.ini file. This is very disappointing. I don't know why that isn't working. Before deleting that line, could you retry after deleting the following files from you Tombraid folder.

Glidos.pif
Glidos.bat
Glide2x.ovl
PollPpie.dll
GldVESA.exe

Also look out for messages in the server window, especially "protocol error"

Reply 6 of 8, by Glidos

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I've experimented a bit more with the Glidos VESA support and I've found that I can cause problems on my setup here by slowing the frame rendering. So maybe speed is the problem. It seems that slowness in the video rendering can make the Tomb Raider movie player overrun its audio buffer, or something like that.

I've put a new version of GldVESA.exe in the forum's files area. This version displays only every forth frame, and hence eases the speed problem. Can you give it a try?

Reply 7 of 8, by Wildman

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I tried all those things Glidos , it didn't work. I'm using a program called Rage3D tweak for my Radeon 8500 , I went into the 3D OpenGL part of the tweaker and disabled VSync , wich caused all kinds of problems , like not being able to save games reload games , and video lockup exiting the game. (ver 1.17(c) )

I clicked the defaults button in this program , and turned off some things and viola , the version 1.18 launced , I didn't know changing settings in the OpenGL settings of this tweaker would have anything to do with Glidos? Is Glidos a voodoo wrapper or emulator ? Or is this correctly called OpenGlide , a combination of OpenGL and Glide ?

Right at this moment I don't know which setting was keeping Glidos from working , but after a few days of use , I may be able to duplicate the problem by trying each setting one at a time, there's nineteen different settings and up to six different varitions for some settings. That's what is going to take time.

Right now ver 1.18 works, the into videos have some bad color banding in them , it seems worse , like looking at 256 color or less. I don't know if thats normal or not , hehe , I never took notes from before , I think it may be more pronounced with the deeper colors.

Thanks for your help , it doesn't seem to be a fault of Glidos but my OpenGL settings? More to come when I find out more.

Oh , another thing , I tried the new GldVESA.exe in ver 1.18 and I got the protocol error you talked about , so I put the safe copy I made back in , and it worked correctly again.

Soyo K7V Dragon+
Athlon 2100XP
512MB DDR PC2100 Crucial
WinXP pro
Radeon 8500 retail
CMI 8738 onboard sound
TombRaider1 & UB
VDMsound
Glidos

Reply 8 of 8, by Glidos

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Thanks. That's very useful info. It is also a relief that the VESA side is working.

I made a stupid mistake with the GldVESA.exe I posted. I forgot
I had changed the protocol a bit, so I'd actually caused the protocol error.