VOGONS

Common searches

Glidos is good but

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

First post, by OmniBDA

User metadata

I hate registration schemes that generate a code based on your current PC.
I refomat, change and do all sorts to it regulary and have been burnt by this before. I bought Cheatmachine for Creatures 2 (another code generator), had to reformat and now the sites gone.

And another thing, anyone remember Alone in the dark pay-2-play cd?
Got burnt by that too.

So basically no, i'll not buy it like this... and I only want to play carmageddon/gta. Also Carmageddon freeses at random, not just on certain levels for me. Its annoying but worthwhile for free, but for pay, its only a matter of time before someone makes a free version of software like this.

And paypal is very annoying, having to check your bank statement to get registered, thats BULL. 😠 Impatience strikes.

Reply 1 of 18, by Glidos

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Ask anybody that registered for Glidos. I don't let people get burnt. You get an unlokcing account, and if you run out of unlocks for good reason, then I up your quota.

I'd rather not do it this way, but there is no other that avoids me getting burnt. If you only knew how much time I've had to waste designing this scheme.

I agree that its a bit poor for people that want only Carmageddon. I wish I knew what went wrong there. It looks like the gamecrashing rather than some part of Glidos.

I think you can pay through PayPal without completing the registration process. Actually, I'm forgetting, I have set up second PayPal account and dones so. Anyway, don't blame me for PayPal: if there was another way to take small numbers of small payments without hassle or big overhead, I'd take it.

Reply 2 of 18, by Kaminari

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

OmniBDA, here's the solution for you: just forget that you ever heard of Glidos in the first place, let's pretend it never even existed. In fact, you never visited this forum.

Ok, that's probably not the answer you were waiting for. I bet you never heard about dgVoodoo. And since you're the kind of guy to reformat your hard drive every day (huh?), why not installing Win98 onto a separate partition and run Carmageddon from there?

Reply 4 of 18, by Glidos

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Aagh Kaminari: I was trying to keep quiet about dgVoodoo 🙄 ...

but while we are on the subject, how can I set up a XP/W98 dual boot where both think their partition is called C: when they are running. I found some instructions for NT/W98 but they involve using RDISK.exd which seems to have disappeared with 2000 and XP. I tried using the recovery console under XP and FIXMBR to make the W98 partition bring up the XP boot menu, but it didn't work.

I think I can do it if I could do it if I installed a tiny Linux partition and then used lilo, but I'd rather not. I also might be able to do it by actually getting down to a bit of assembly code writing, but I don't want to reinvent the wheel, if there is an already exisiting easy way.

Reply 5 of 18, by Glidos

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Robertmo asked what I had against XP on D:, but somehow his post has disappeared. Well, as part of my work I use lots of bespoke development tools that aren't perfect yet. Some of them get confused if the system drive is D:. I currently have a triple boot system (Linux as well) in which 2000 (rather than XP) site on D:. Next computer I build, I's like to have XP on C:

Reply 6 of 18, by Guest

User metadata

OmniBDA here,
basically very glad to hear about dgVoodoo, nope never heard of that. I stopped searching for dos glide wrappers once i found glidos existed a few years back.

Also, Glidos uses the OpenGlide wrapper? GNU GPL?
as a major part of it, I may be wrong but doesnt that licence require that Glidos be released open source freely?

All the best are free,
VDMsound is pure class but free.

But now dgVoodoo's made an appearence, serves glidos right. Having to pay for it is bull, I bet the OpenGlide wrapper developer worked just as hard on his bit but decided to release it free.

Reply 8 of 18, by Glidos

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

GNU Yeh. I Have to release my changes to it, which I have. And actually, I've put a lot of work into making it support Red Baron and Sentinal, and that benefits Glidos not in the slightest.

But Glidos, the DOS communication side that's all mine. A lot of work, and a lot of lost earnings, because I often work on it when I should be doing my paid by the hour job. Actually Glidos has cost me thousands.

But anyway, why do you think you have a right to use my work free? I don't understand you. What you do for a living? I wouldn't be surprised if there are people that do what you do for charity. So does that mean you shouldn't claim a pay check?

And, I don't see that I'm taking anything away from you. Before dgVoodoo, there was Glidos or nothing. So what are you saying: nothing is better? Or somehow, after all the years of work I've put in it, you automatically have some right to it. I haven't the slightest idea wht you are moaning about.

Reply 9 of 18, by Guest

User metadata

My point is that you have a chance to allow many people to play their old 3dfx games on their new Pc's which would be nice, but not many people would be interested in paying. I told another freind about Glidos, he was interested but lost interest once he heard he had to register. Think of all the kudos you'd get if you did release a free version.

Reply 10 of 18, by Glidos

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Yeh, that's fair enough, but its up to the individual. And someone that thinks $10 is a lot, doesn't really want it. Its a pain about needing a credit card (or access to one), because that makes things difficult for a lot of people, but new methods of running this sort of thing are on the way.

Reply 11 of 18, by Kaminari

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Kudos may feed an ego, they don't feed a man.

OpenGlide is free, that's right. And guess what: Paul is co-developer of the library. All the best is free -- well, not quite. Magic Engine ain't free, nor Spectaculator. Yet the registering fee is reasonable for such top-class emulators. In my humble opinion, most of the people pissed off by 'commercial' emulators shouldn't deserve any serious attention since they would never consider donating for a good program in the first place (they all swear they would, but we all know that it never works that way).

Btw, dgVoodoo only works for 9x/ME, so it's not an option for NT-based systems.

Reply 12 of 18, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author
Anonymous wrote:

Think of all the kudos you'd get if you did release a free version.

Don't depend on it 😀 You'll get lot's of requests for stupid features and bugs which aren't bugs because they didn't read the documentation.

Futher they think the can ask and suggest everything.... and they even didn't pay for it.

By paying $10 (which isn't that much, compared to the original price of tombraider) you asure yourself you got a "movitated" audiance

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 13 of 18, by CraigG

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I can't believe this crap still goes on in this forum.

To the original poster,
You sir, are an Ass, and a first class one.
You don't deserve Paul's time of day.

The crap that Paul has to sometimes deal with, on regular days, and a few from complete morons from time to time. These people shouldn't be allowed anywhere near a computer, let alone Paul's hard work.

You sound like the type of person that visits newsagents, and will quite happily read magazines from start to end, but refuse to buy one _because_ you can read it for free.

I really hope you get problems with dgvoodoo, then when you come back here for help, you'll get completely ignored.

Athlon 64 3000+ stock
MSI NForce 4 K8N Neo Platinum
2Gb RAM
nVidia Geforce 6800GT stock clocks
SBLive! Platinum + Audigy ZS2 Drivers
WinXP Pro SP2

Reply 17 of 18, by CraigG

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

To our honoured guest, or should that be dickhead ?

Please leave the forum, as you are a total arse, and nobody really likes you or your pathetic little attitude.
I actually find it funny that even bothered to return.

Please close this thread Paul, as it's obviously a troll post, and nothing more.

Athlon 64 3000+ stock
MSI NForce 4 K8N Neo Platinum
2Gb RAM
nVidia Geforce 6800GT stock clocks
SBLive! Platinum + Audigy ZS2 Drivers
WinXP Pro SP2