VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Guest

User metadata

After a bit of digging, I found out that the Sold Out version of Tombraider I has no sound tracks! These tracks supposedly play music from the CD, but for some unknown reason Sold Out doesn't include them. That is, the tracks are there, you can see them with CD track player software, but they don't contain any sound.

Does anybody have these tracks as WAV files? Or know where I can download these? It should be possible to recreate a fully workable CD using these. Sold Out should have provided these of course, but they didn't, so there you are!

Thanks,

Aldo Bleeker

Reply 1 of 18, by SYS

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

...a voice from the darkness.....

Aldo,

A suggest: don't buy SO-versions, because You may still find even the original releases for sale, especially if You're livin' in the USA... They still sell the original triangular shaped version of TR1 at www.cdaccess.com and there's the Platinum version also (for both TR1+Gold!) at some US-shops. If You're living in the UK for instance, then things may be a bit difficult (ordering online from abroad), but it works: I'm from Hungary and I have a huge original TR-collection, half of them is from www.chipsbits.com (highly recommended online shop)... 😀

I have the SO-version also (yeah, for my collection..why not? 😁 ): that has the tracks, but all of them is completely silent. There was a copyright problem earlier with TR1 if I'm informed well. I'm not sure about TR2, but as I know, it has all audio-tracks even on the SO-CD...

SYS "Still alive Ms Croft. You are resilient."

Reply 2 of 18, by ableeker

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Yes, I know *now* that I shouldn't have bought the Sold Out version, but how was I to know it wasn't complete? It wasn't that easy to find, as TR1 is, you know, Sold Out, and most sites offer only that, Sold Out. Even worse, I'd have preferred Gold, I didn't want it to be too expensive, and I definitely didn't want to buy in the USA, as I live in the Netherlands, and shipping costs would more or less double the total cost. The UK was fine as well, so in the end I decided to buy it at http://www.play.com, a UK based web shop that includes the shipping cost in the price. But, you've guessed it, it was the Sold Out version...

Thanks for the tips, but as I don't live in the USA, most of them aren't really an option. Take Chips & Bits for example. They want $ 7.95 for Tomb Raider PC, which seems quite reasonable, but the total cost after adding shipping balloons to an outrageous $ 35.95! Other sites aren't as bad as that, but shipping most of the time doubles the total cost for small orders.

I have the Sold Out edition of TR2 as well, but I've heard that that one's OK, it includes the sound tracks, anyway. I also own the original Eidos versions of TR3, TR4, TR5, and TR6, so these should be fine.

So, I was thinking, if anybody has the missing tracks, I can use these to restore my incomplete version of TR1, incomplete through no fault of mine, I may add... Anybody?

Aldo Bleeker

Reply 3 of 18, by Guest

User metadata

I'm not 100% sure if this applies to what you are talking about, but sometime back, it was discussed how the PC version of Tombraider I is missing most of the music tracks that the Playstation version has. For some reason, this was only done with Tombraider I. The PC version has a couple of music tracks, but most of them are missing. Instead, there are three ambient tracks that are only on the PC version, and not on the Playstation version.

Interestingly, it turns out that the PC version of Tombraider I (or glidos) doesn't actually care what cd is in the first drive, as long as there is one there. It will attempt to play the track numbers no matter what. This led me to start mapping where all the sound events occur in the game on the Playstation version, and give that information to Paul (the creator of Glidos), so that he could potentially trigger those tracks to play in the pc version. Then, if a cd was made with all the proper tracks from the Playstation version in the right place, it should restore all the music to the game.

I'm still in process of mapping all these places, but I'm making progress. It will be done one of these days, certainly before the texture project is complete. That doesn't mean that Paul will have the time to program all the sound triggers into the game, but we'll see what happens.

Reply 4 of 18, by Glidos

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I'm very pleased to hear you are doing this, but two warnings.

1) I'm not sure when I will find time to look into this.

2) I would need a Save game for each position where the sound occurs.
In fact the save game would need to be a little before the sound. So I could play through the position without first backing up.

Reply 5 of 18, by slube

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

1) I'm not sure when I will find time to look into this.

2) I would need a Save game for each position where the sound occurs.
In fact the save game would need to be a little before the sound. So I could play through the position without first backing up.

No problem. As to number 1, if you do, great, if not, oh well. It will be a bit complicated to make all the tracks work out, but I'm going to try to work all that out ahead of time. As to 2, that's definitely how I'm doing it. I save each position before the sound, and then include an instruction that says exactly where you walk, jump, drop, pull a lever, or what have you to make the sound trigger.

Again, I don't exactly know when I'll be done, but I think I'm well over half way - I just got by that area where there are the four bridges that you have to lower. Anyway, it's an interesting excercise in and of itself. It would be a nice addition to the admittedly much more impressive and difficult project of the enhanced graphics that are being developed. That's a nice job, and you did great to make that possible, as well as tweaking Glidos to make it work better.

Reply 7 of 18, by slube

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Might be worth letting me have some stuff before you've finished. I might get a chance to have a little look.

I'm happy to, if you want, but I don't want you to have to end up duplicating work. The thing is, the tracks on the final sound cd will have to end up moving around somewhat, because some sounds are triggered by the PC version that are also on the PSX version, but at different tracks. Also, it might be nice to see if there's some way of incorporating the tracks on the PC that aren't in the PSX version.

So if it's not a big deal to change the track number later, let me know and I'll send you what I have. Tell me what email address to send it to.

Reply 9 of 18, by slube

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I was thinking the positional info rather than the audio tracks. I might get a chance to do a feasibility study.

Sure thing. I'll send you the save games and the other info. What email address should I send it to?

Reply 12 of 18, by batracio

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Anonymous wrote:

Interestingly, it turns out that the PC version of Tombraider I (or glidos) doesn't actually care what cd is in the first drive, as long as there is one there. It will attempt to play the track numbers no matter what. This led me to start mapping where all the sound events occur in the game on the Playstation version, and give that information to Paul (the creator of Glidos), so that he could potentially trigger those tracks to play in the pc version. Then, if a cd was made with all the proper tracks from the Playstation version in the right place, it should restore all the music to the game.

That sounds really amazing. I own both PC and PlayStation versions too, and it would be great to join PSX soundtrack and Glidos gorgeous graphics (ePSXe improves original graphics very much, but brings console's Z-buffer issues to PC).

Should we expect some progress in next Glidos versions?

Reply 13 of 18, by guest

User metadata

The work has already been done guys.As long as the tracks are placed in a cd in the right place they will play automatically. You can get the tracks in 1 pack from here:

http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/simulation/temp/TR1/tr1music.htm

or read more about it here:

http://www.tombraiderforums.com/cgi-bin/ultim … 11;t=001121;p=1

Good luck - i had the same sold old version - used this pack to burn a new cd with the data from my cd and audio from the pack.
Works with glidos no probs.

Reply 14 of 18, by batracio

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
guest wrote:

The work has already been done guys.As long as the tracks are placed in a cd in the right place they will play automatically.

Well, actually I wasn't talking about the trouble with the Sold-Out version, which has almost none of the audio tracks available in TR/TR Gold for PC. I think this thread was about the difference between PC version, with tracks 2 though 10, and PSX version, with tracks 2 through 57; many of these contain brief sounds or Lara's sentences in training level, but there are also some tracks with background sound or ambience music that I've never heard on PC.

Reply 15 of 18, by Guest

User metadata

the difference between PC version, with tracks 2 though 10, and PSX version, with tracks 2 through 57; many of these contain brief sounds or Lara's sentences in training level, but there are also some tracks with background sound or ambience music that I've never heard on PC.

This is definitely the case. While it's true that many of the tracks on the PSX version are generated internally on the PC version (such as the training, the secret sound, and most of the dialogue), there are many tracks that are music that are only on the PSX.

However, there are also three or four ambient tracks on the PC that aren't on the PSX, which add a lot to the game (such as the heartbeat sound). The PC calls these tracks. Therefore, if you put the PSX cd in there while playing Glidos, it will call the track number, but it will be the wrong track. And it won't call all the tracks from the PSX at the right places.

So, as I said, I'm mapping where all these points are, and hopefully, time permitting for Paul, he can use Glidos to trigger those sounds by texture, and at the same time, the game will also be calling the PC tracks, and we will get the best of both worlds.

Of course, so the tracks don't run into each other, it will be neccessary to make a new hybrid with both the PC and the PSX tracks. The PC tracks should be the same as they are on the PC, so that the program knows where to get them, and the PSX tracks that are needed should also be put on there, though many of them that are redundant can be skipped. I'll be sure to come up with a configuration for this before I send the info to Paul, in case that will be useful.

I'm nearly through the game! Just a bit longer.

Reply 18 of 18, by slube

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hey the work you're doing sounds even better - when you've done the mapping list would you be able to make the psx tracks available for download for those people who don't have the psx version?
Thanks

I would like to do that, but it's a commercial product and those tracks are copyrighted, and despite the fact that the product is old I just don't want to get into any legal issues.

Also, I don't have a website, and since the tracks are actually full audio, they are rather large.

However, it can be gotten for as little as $3 (plus shipping) on ebay, and probably less from other sources, if you know where to look.