VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by crash.

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Greetings,

I just tried Glidos with Carmageddon and the Voodoo2 patch (as the original 3Dfx patch just crashed) and it runs terribly slow. I have the sound card disabled in the game in an attempt to rule that out. The game runs via software rendering in low-res with no problems.

Am I doing this right? 😜

I'm running Windows XP on an AthlonXP 3200+ with 512mb ram and an ATI Radeon 9700 Pro with the latest Catalyst drivers which "seems" to meet the OpenGL requirement.

Something I'm missing here? Perhaps it is the original 3Dfx version that I was supposed to get working?

Any suggestions or assurances would be greatly appreciated.

I would love to eventually get some of the old titles such as Carmageddon, Whiplash (AKA Fatal Racing), Archimedian Dynasty, etc... in a playable state.

Thanks!

Reply 1 of 7, by crash.

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

It seems that the problem is the opengl32.dll

I've tried running several versions of GLsetup that I could find, which tell me that they only work in Windows 98. GLsetup.com is apparently dead.

I downloaded some other opengl32.dll files that I found on the Internet, and tried these. One of them worked perfectly, although Windows quickly overwrote it with the "official" version thanks to the stupid windows file protection feature, and I can't find the .dll that worked properly.

I did try reinstalling the latest ATI Radeon Catalyst drivers with not success.

Any suggestions?

Reply 2 of 7, by Glidos

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Well at least you've diagnosed the problem. The fact that one version of opengl32.dll worked perfectly shows that broken OpenGL support is your problem. I think there are tools for completely removing every trace of ATI's drivers. I'd suggest using such a tool, then remove any spurious copies of opengl32.dll that might still be hiding somewhere, and then reinstall the drivers.

Reply 3 of 7, by crash.

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Woohoo! It worked!

I followed the instructions at this link to remove the ATI drivers:
http://www.rage3d.com/board/showthread.php?s= … readid=33606840

Then I re-installed the Catalyst 4.5 and now Carmageddon runs at full speed on the Radeon.

Thanks!

Reply 4 of 7, by Guest

User metadata

I think I am having a similar problem to crash: ie carmageddon running slowly (about 15fps I'm guessing). I'm not sure if my problem is related to faulty opengl drivers or not as this is a recently set up system, and the programs I have on it aren't known to mess with them.

I don't think its a problem with the way Glidos is set up (as tombraider works with it superbly).

Can anybody give me clues to what's causing the slowdowns (as i have tried setting carma to run with minimum detail/sound settings to no effect.

System:

AMD T-Bird 1.1Ghz
512Mb RAM
Abit KT7E Systemboard (VIA 4in1 4.35)
Ge-Force 3 Ti 200 (Nvdia dets 56.64 +DX9b)
SB PCI 128 drivers dated 30/3/2000 (latest!)

Windows 98 (original)
Glidos 1.28

Reply 5 of 7, by crash.

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Very strange! I gave up on Tomb Raider since it was running so slow on my Voodoo5, while Carmageddon runs fine. I doubt that it is your game configuration (such as in game detail settings).

So far, the only titles that I have gotten running properly are Carmageddon and Redguard. Others have a variety of problems: Tomb Raider (upper half of screen only, very slow), Blood (exits at first mouse click), Extreme Assault (upper half of screen only, very slow). I've also tried some other Glide titles, Resident Evil and Carmageddon Splat Pack with no success.

Perhaps each version of Opengl and each version of Glide2x may work with only certain titles? Alternatively, perhaps each video card may be suited to some games vs. others?

If anyone is running several of these titles without problems, I would be interested to hear what your system configuration is.

Thanks!

Reply 6 of 7, by crash.

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

BTW, I did notice that Carmageddon is significantly slower on my 2100+ than it is on my 3200+ - assuming that there isn't any other problem, perhaps Carmageddon needs more processing power? This wouldn't explain your success (and my failure) with Tomb Raider though... Hmmm...

Reply 7 of 7, by Dark_one

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi all i have a little problem i have the old dos version the Hard Disk version not the CD !!!!!

I did all the stuff thats on the glidos site !!!
I have XP Fast PC

But if i wanna run that carmav.exe i get a:

FATAL ERROR: Couldn't open general setting file

So What is wrong ?

I have instal that sound thing and 3dfx patch and glidos With no logo..!