Common searches

TRx Texture Feedback

Topic actions

First post, by Gambit37

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'm working on Lara at the moment -- it's taken bloody hours just to get her eyes working, and I'm still not happy with them.

I've made some variations of her eyes and mouth -- I'm trying to get a look that is somewhere between TR1 and AOD. I'm not going for complete realism as I still want to retain that cartoony image she's always had. However, I've pulled her eyes straighter and slightly closer as I never liked the expression she had in TR1.

Here's a comparison shot of eyes and mouths. I haven't done any work on the nose yet! Comments and feedback very welcome; feel free to be critical as I know these are far from perfect yet! Shading on the Eyes 2 sample is incomplete.

NOTE: Because Lara's head is always moving, the screengrabs may show her in a slightly different position each time -- this can affect the way her face looks so please bear this in mind.

http://www.resonantedge.com/trx/temp/face_compare.jpg

Reply 2 of 193, by Gambit37

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It's funny that -- the Old mouths were ones I did ages ago and was never happy with. But now that I did some new ones, I think you're right -- it does look pretty good. Probably because it's the most feminine!!? Do you have comments on the eyes?

The other links were me testing out that my revised hotlink breaker was working properly. I've removed them now anyway.

Reply 3 of 193, by Gambit37

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Here's a more or less finalised face using the mouth Old 3:

face_complete.jpg

What do people think? Are the mouths/ alternate eyes in the comparison shot better? I rather like this one, but it's not quite Lara -- if there's a general consensus about problems or better possibilities, I'll change it.

Reply 6 of 193, by Gambit37

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yeah it is a problem -- the nose looks a bit weird from the side, but I think it's OK. It's mainly only the engine cut scenes when you'll see Lara from different angles anyway, so I think I can get away with it.

One very strange thing that Core did was to have different sized textures for the same area that gets swapped when you're carrying and/or firing a weapon. It makes sense for things like eyes and mouth, but ears??!! Even the redundant side of the backpack changes textures when you've got the shotgun -- doesn't seem to be a good reason for it!

Reply 8 of 193, by Gambit37

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I can't change the neck because it's not a texture. TR1 uses flat colours for some parts of models -- Lara's legs, arms and neck for example. That's why I have to work around it. Nothing I can do about it I'm afraid!

I would imagine that you're not gonna notice issues like that while playing the game though.

Reply 9 of 193, by SYS

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

...a voice from the darkness.....

WOW Gambit, Your work is truly AMAZING! 😎 I'm very happy to see that You're continuing it. I also like this "new" face of Lara - She looks great! Just one thought: everything's fine, but I think, She could be perhaps a bit dourer, like on the very first picture (what shows Her original face). She is an adventurer who has to deal with some weird happenings/powers and other things (deathtraps, deadly enemies, and so on), so I think the original version of Her face was great to show this kind of attitude (and almost that what She thinks). What do You think? Again, the face is already great, and this is just my opinion... 😀 Anyway, I'm curious about Her wild-face too..what we can see while She's shooting... 😀

Keep up the good work! 😎

SYS "Still alive Ms Croft. You are resilient."

Reply 10 of 193, by Gambit37

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I know what you mean, and I did think about that quite a bit. But in the end I decided to spruce her up a bit! When I do the 'wild face', there will be more of a difference, so it's like she's gone from the elegant, upper class, well mannered woman into a gun-crazy explorer...

I'm going to concentrate on other parts of her now, but if other's think a more dour expression would be better, then I'll review it.

Reply 11 of 193, by Gambit37

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Just a quick example of a retextured UZI. It's not perfect because Core were completely inconsistent with how they rotated the same texture on different parts of the model! Nothing I can do about that, but I think it's passable:

http://www.resonantedge.com/trx/temp/lara_uzi.jpg

You can also see the work in progress of her top. Yes, I know her breasts are too high! There's also the problem of the wonky mapping due to this polygon being a trapezium -- any tips on that Paul?

Reply 14 of 193, by Gambit37

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

But it's not even Christmas yet! 😀 Thanks, I try. In fact, I tend to underplay my 'gifts' quite considerably. It's causing me a right problem with a job I'm applying for at the moment -- they aren't offering me much money, so I've asked for more -- causes a big discussion when you're already downplayed you're own worth!!! I'm such an idiot sometimes!

Reply 15 of 193, by slube

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I tend to underplay my 'gifts' quite considerably. It's causing me a right problem with a job I'm applying for at the moment -- they aren't offering me much money, so I've asked for more -- causes a big discussion when you're already downplayed you're own worth!!!

Just show them these pictures, with the before and after!

Reply 16 of 193, by Kaminari

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I like Mouth Old 3 the best too.

Now I'd honestly say that I'm not really satisfied with her new face. As you said it, it may have to do with the fact that I don't recognize Lara myself. My personal favorite has always been Lara's face from TR2/TR3. She has a kind of slightly Indian look which I find just lovely, and it's not too inconsistent with her British origins either. May have something to do with her almond-shaped eyes, her slightly bent eyebrows, her delicate nose, her fuller lips...

tr2_05.jpg

In any case, just keep on with your initial choice and please show us some in-game shots 😀

Reply 18 of 193, by Gambit37

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Well, I'm gonna leave the face for a while, but I might revisit it and make the eyes a little more almond shaped. I actually used a photo of Natalie Portman's eyes for the most part, but it's been quite modified to fit in with the shape of the head. Actually that's another point, the shape of Lara's head in TR2 is a bit different from TR1 which also changes it. The problem of course is that I have no control over the mesh or the areas that are made in a solid colour, so everything is a compromise.

Her new mouth does look very strange from below BTW. I'll post some shots later.