Common searches

TRx Texture Feedback

Topic actions

Reply 100 of 193, by Glidos

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Ah no actually: that was exactly the thing I was saying a while back I was thinking I may be able to do. Glidos intercepts the Glide commands. In the case of Lara, the texture being used is enough to work out what bits are being drawn. And there's enough info in the command to work back to the 3D coordinates (I think). So I could draw a replacement, perhaps consisting of several commands.

Parts of Lara are untextured, and might be a problem, though. In any case, this is so hard, I bet I never do it, and even if I did, the job of the modder would be extremely hard too.

One nice thing it would let us do is roughen the rock faces to get rid of the blockiness.

Reply 102 of 193, by Gambit37

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

There's some new randomised screenshots on the home page for TRX if anyone missed them.... updated caves stuff. I'm much happier with it now...

http://www.resonantedge.com/trx/

Reply 104 of 193, by Gambit37

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Heh, I tried loads of different things for that tall plant and nothing looked right. In the end, I photographed my prayer plant (Maranta leucoreura) from lots of different angles and painstakingly cropped out various leaves necessary to have it look vaguely like the original plant.

( Prayer Plant Pics on Google )

You can see why this is taking so long....

At some point, I think I might write a little tutorial for the site so you can see how I go about these things. But that's more time away from creating the actual textures...

Last edited by Gambit37 on 2005-01-27, 14:15. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 106 of 193, by Kaminari

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Gambit37 wrote:

At some point, I think I might write a little tutorial for the site so you can see how I go about these things.

It will be definitely appreciated -- but first things first, the levels! 😁

Reply 107 of 193, by Gambit37

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Bit bored of texturing at the moment, so played a bit of TR3 for the first time in years. I'd forgotten how much I liked Lara's pose in title screen, so I went off and made a similar one for TRX:

tr3title.jpg

title_screen_original_5.jpg

I made Lara's face look more like the face 'll be using in the game.Does anyone like this, or do you prefer the current title screen, the one that's like the original TR but with the AOD lara face?

Reply 108 of 193, by Kaminari

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I like it very much (Lara's face is grate!), but it doesn't convey the TR1 spirit as much as the original title screen (or for that matter, your version of the original one). Concerning the latter, the AOD look doesn't really bother me -- but it doesn't have much in common with TR1, does it? I wonder if it would be possible to replace Lara's face with your much improved version for TRX... Mmm!

Reply 109 of 193, by Gambit37

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yes, I'm still keeping my existing title screen for the main TRx project. I might offer this one as an 'alternative.'

I might have a go at replacing Lara's features in my existing title screen so that they match the in game ones. It's tricky though. While I'm great at texturing and manipulation, I'm not much of an artist, and getting my new eyes and mouth onto that face is tricky 'cos it's not straight on...

Reply 110 of 193, by Gambit37

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

samples_tr.jpg

I found a high-res image of the original TR Title screen Lara and replaced my AOD Lara -- this looks much better. Not going to fiddle with the face though -- too much effort!

However, which lettering do people prefer? I had the TR style originally, then used a sparkly one to signify "new and improved" -- but I still quite like the original. Anyone?

Reply 113 of 193, by JC

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I love your first title screen - glitzy stuff is alkways an instant winner for me! - but the original lettering does seem to "sit" better with the original Lara in this new version. On another note.... the glimpse of Lara's new butt that you gave us elsewhere looks fantastic...is she likely to be revealed to us in all her glory anytime soon?

Reply 114 of 193, by Gambit37

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

But I like everything you do

Aw, shucks. 😊 Thank you! And yes, you're right, It's more important to release the actual texture packs. Damn fiddly though -- I'm trying to get all the little bits and pieces of all the weapons and sprites done so that The Caves will be completed -- this will really help for the other packs as I don't need to do that work again.

Although, hgaving said that, the capturing of levels and working out which of the newly captured images relates to which new image is quite a frustrating and a very time-consuming task. I could move on and do the walls and stuff for other levels quite quickly, but would rather have every further pack utterly complete before releasing it.

Reply 116 of 193, by Gambit37

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

But one needs to know the captured folder names to put into the masterfile to begin with -- capturing an as yet un-captured level wouldn't work as you suggest unless one is psychic... 😉

Reply 118 of 193, by Guest

User metadata

Would it be possible to make Glidos extract textures from the levels so I wouldn't have to play through each map capturing old textures before replacing them? As I said earlier I've taking the lara model from TR2 and replaced the model from TR1 but now I have to play through each level and rename the custom texture folders to use them 🙁