TRx Texture Feedback

Topic actions

Reply 22 of 193, by Gambit37

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

She's supposed to look like Lara!

What does that mean? Lara looks quite different in nearly every game, as well as very different between the game model and the one used for promotional purposes. Then there's the comic book Lara, the movie Lara, etc. etc. -- all looking quite different. This is just my take on it, and I don't think there's a problem with a bit of artistic license here and there. If you don't like it, don't use the high res textures! 😉 Anyway, what is it you don't like? Just saying you don't like it isn't very helpful.

Reply 23 of 193, by Kaminari

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

What about trying to make her lips a bit rounded on the edges, instead of covering them completely with lipstick (see my TR2 shot above)? Right now she just looks a tad too cheerful for a hard-boiled tomb raider 😘

Reply 25 of 193, by Gambit37

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Looks like I'll provide optional mouths then! It's only one texture, so you could have a few different ones depending on.... wait a minute, perhaps that's what I'll do! She starts off kind of jolly, excited to be on a new adventure and all glammed up (nothing wrong with a bit of lip gloss even in tomb raiding!), then as she works through the game, her expression becomes more hardened and her clothes diirty and torn.... heh, I like that idea although it does mean more work, and bigger downloads (assuming the shortcut thing is implemented)...

Reply 27 of 193, by Gambit37

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'm working on Lara's breasts at the moment (!) and they are proving to be a huge pain! (pun intended). It's not really possible to get something that looks correct from an oblique angle, so it'll only really look good from the front or the side. This is something we'll have to live with, but again, as longs as it's reasonably convincing, I don't think it matters too much as you rarely see Lara from those angles in the game. I've gone for a rather over the top look, as opposed to realistic... 😀 I'm not gonna post any more shots until I've done her backpack too...

Reply 28 of 193, by Glidos

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The breasts from the RudeRaider pack seem to work from an angle... not that I've ever looked at the RudeRaider pack, of course. 😉 I am of course mortally offended that Glidos should be used in that way.

Reply 29 of 193, by slube

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The breasts from the RudeRaider pack seem to work from an angle... not that I've ever looked at the RudeRaider pack, of course. I am of course mortally offended that Glidos should be used in that way.

Well, I'm offended by how bad the nude patch looks. I mean, if they're going to use it at all, they should at least use something like Glidos so that it doesn't look like a pink blob, like those old adult atari games.

Reply 35 of 193, by ableeker

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

What I mean with "She's supposed to look like Lara" is that even though ever incarnation of Lara looks different, she has a certain "look" within each version, and I feel that look shouldn't be changed, or you change the look of the version itself. I think the hires textures of the surroundings are great because they enhance and update the game, but when I saw your Lara's, my initial reaction was that she looked "wrong", because it not only enhances the game but changes it as well. I don't mean to say there's anything wrong with your versions, but they're different, and I feel that's wrong. The designers have gone in TR1 for a certain look, and we may not like it, but it's the one they've chosen, and it's part of the game. I think it can and should be enhanced, but not changed.

Couldn't you, if at all technically possible, include enhanced "original" textures to satisfy purists like me, and offer alternative textures with different looks as well? In this way you or other graphic designers could go wild, and really alter her appearance radically if you like without "forcing" their own personal taste on others.

Reply 36 of 193, by Glidos

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

There's no forcing of personal taste in this. TRX is just something Matthew is doing that he is willing to share with us. We can use it or not as we please.

Also, I've made Glidos in a way that allows anybody to do this - provided they have the skill. People who don't like a texture can make their own alterations. You can also just delete a texture from the pack, and Glidos will fall back to the original texture.

Reply 37 of 193, by ableeker

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hm, I might try that. What does it look like, is it noticeable? I mean if you mix original textures with hires textures, do the original ones look odd?