TRx Texture Feedback

Topic actions

Reply 80 of 193, by Glidos

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Gambit37 wrote:

Actually, I have an idea for putting more detail in the meshes using Glidos, but I'm not sure I'll ever get the time to try it out. It should be possible to recognise any particular triangle, by the texture it uses, and replace it by several.

Phewpp!! Trying to create new textures for lots of little triangles would be a bit much I think....

In most cases the texture could stay the same, relevent parts of it being mapped to the new triangles. Its just a way to crinkle an existing rectangle. I'm not sure it is possible though.

Gambit37 wrote:

Well it does look a little poorly, I hope not dead.

Nope, not dead -- just resting. Although, I did some work on the caves again this week -- tidied up the overall 'base' texture and have started work on the sprites now...

It's quite interesting that I've been using photographs for all my refs -- but in fact, somhow a lot of the photo sourced stuff doesn't really look right once it's in game, especially plants. That's why my textures are ever so slightly 'not real' to be more in keeping with the original game's feel.... if anyone was wondering...

Great news! It would be lovely to see some of this new stuff.

Reply 83 of 193, by Glidos

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

That's amazing. My linux server has no monitor - damn! Wonder if it'll play at reasonable speed via VNC.

Probably no easier to mod now. From a clean start, it would be easier to get openraider to load alternative textures, than make Glidos intercept. But now that jobs done, I woudln't imagine it would make the texture selection any easier.

Reply 85 of 193, by Gambit37

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

See my posts above....

I agree, no update for 6 months on a commercial site would be very poor -- bit this is a hobby and I simply haven't had the time to give the project the attention it deserves. I do bits and pieces here and there.

There will be no more *official* (ie, my texture packs) updates until The Caves level is 100% complete. However, I have some material other people have sent me which might be uploaded soon. Watch this space.

Reply 92 of 193, by Gambit37

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yes, John used some of my textures for consistency, which is fine. However, since then I have actually changed some of mine, such as the vines and the general cave floor texture -- you can see that in the new examples on the TRX site.

Reply 94 of 193, by Guest

User metadata

Very nice textures from both of you. Will you still be doing level 2 now Gambit or are you guys working together, just wondering since John skipped the level you did. Either way would be great but I do prefer Gambit because he stays closer to the original texture so I feel the nostalgia from playing my beloved TR1.

About openraider I'm not quite sure what it does. Is it just an emulator to play the Tomb Raider series on linux and PS2 or is it for modifying them. I really just want to port the Gold games to PS2, would this be possible once more work is done on it? Thanks for helping and thanks Gambit and John for the great textures 😀

Reply 98 of 193, by Gambit37

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Glidos can't do that -- it can only replace content of the generated sreen, not any of the internal assets. Glidos is described as a 'wrapper' but the word 'interceptor' might be more appropriate.

It simply looks at the frame buffer -- the Tomb Raider screen effectively -- and says 'What's being drawn here, here, here, here...." and remaps that to your normal graphics card driver. I don't understand it fully, but basically, the answer is no -- you can't replace models using a wrapper like this.

Reply 99 of 193, by Gambit37

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The reason the custom textures wouldn't be applied is that the folder names that Glidos uses to store textures have their names generated somehow from the level data. Your level has changed from the original, so the folde rnames will be different.

Try running Glidos in capture mode with your custom level to see what folde rnames it uses. Then you could copy custom textures from my packs into your folders to see if it till works....