VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Maxp

User metadata

Hi everyone!, I need some help with TR 1 and Glidos...
When I launch TR through Glidos it gives me a black screen on the game´s main menu with a blinking DOS cursor on top. After that (when I return to windows by pressing the windows key) a message appears telling me that ¨Screen mode change failed¨. I can hear the tomb raider theme song playing in the main menu but I can´t see anything but that black screen. I´ve already updated my video drivers, tried turning on and off the vesa support but nothing happened. The main menu appeared right when I overwrite the glide2x.dll with the ¨Red Baron version¨, but when I entered the training level that pesky message appeared again and the program froze... I´ve tried to run the game with a previous version of Glidos, but I got the same problem...

Please if anyone knows a solution then let me know!
Thank you very much in advance!!

System Spec:
Pentium 233 mhz, 64 Mb RAM, Win 98 SE.
nVidia TNT2 m64 (w/ 71.84 drivers), Sound Blaster 16 ISA,
CD ROM Sony 52x

PS. Ah! I don´t know if this helps but I´ve got the Gold Edition of TR...

Reply 1 of 3, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Some things I'm noticing.....

1. Your using 71.84 drivers. Later revs of NVIDIA drivers for older hardware are known to not work well for D3D/OGL.It's generally recommended to try the NVIDIA Dets that were developed around that time to see if the application works.

2. Would it be possible to get your hands on a V1/V2 card? With that old of a computer your wouldn't have any trouble and you wouldn't have to pay for GliDOS.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 2 of 3, by Guest

User metadata

"Screen mode change failed" Check what screen mode your desktop is in. Having your desktop in a 256 colour mode (which is very unusual) can lead to that type of failure.

Another thing to try is use the main Glidos dialog to disable "full screen" mode. That way there wont be a change in screen mode.

Reply 3 of 3, by MaxP

User metadata

Everything OK, reinstalling my original drivers and switching off full screen did the trick...

I regained my good ol´ Diamond Monster 3D II, the poor fella was waiting for me in a forgotten vault in my closet... It is a Voodoo 2 so it went perfectly, the game looks great!

Anyway Glidos is a VERY useful program, my congrats to the author!

And thanks a lot to you both for taking the time to answer me!

Good luck!