VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by OCcsdude

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi, I am having a go at texturing the TR levels. I am definitely not an experienced texture artist so don't expect quite the quality of TRX textures. His textures are incredible, and are definitely superior to mine objectively. This alpha texture pack is a little bit different style than the TRX textures. The texture style is appealing to my eye. I just thought I'd post it up to get some feedback. What you'll see is the two days worth of work I've done on the cave levels; no sprites are completed yet and there are still some misaligned/untiled textures. There are also 2-3 missing textures from the secret area which I forgot to get when gathering textures. Anyway, it's a working progress, and the textures are convincing enough for me. If anyone would like to comment that would be great; any constructive criticism or feedback of any kind is welcome ;o).

Link to Download:

http://files.filefront.com/TR1_Cave_Textures_ … ;/fileinfo.html

(Make sure to backup your current textures before zipping mine into the Glidos texture folder.)

Reply 2 of 6, by Guest

User metadata

I'm moving on to level 2 today. I'm going to do a texture pack of my own for every level. Expect level two within the next week. The reason I released only the Caves level was because I'm going to be busy the next few days studying for the CompTia hardware core exam, and I thought I would release what I have for feedback.

Reply 3 of 6, by Guest

User metadata

I think what Paul was asking is, why do the Caves when that level has already been done? Also, the two levels after it also have been done as well: the City of Vilcabamba and the Lost Valley. That doesn't mean, of course, that you can't do them again, and in fact, others may do that as well.
Of course, then it means that your level will always be compared to others, and then we'll have to decide which one we like better. If you work on a level that hasn't been done yet, it will be the only one available, so everyone will want it. I think it's great that I can already go through three textured levels, because of different efforts.
Still, any textured levels are great to have, and I have a lot of respect for people who do them.

Reply 4 of 6, by Jedi Ninja

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Did a quick run through and honestly it looks like your just applying some filters to the original textures. It's still better then the original in most cases but I would reccomend taking your time and making a few textures from scratch. It shouldn't be too hard to find a tutorial online if you need it. Don't be discouraged Quest was "a complete amatuer" when he started and now I love his work. Looking forward to seeing your work and skill progress in the future so good luck and have fun 😀.

Reply 5 of 6, by Guest

User metadata

Thanks for the feedback. Jedi Ninja, it is true, I'm just fooling around with different PSP filters. First I want to quickly zip through a few levels, then I will likely go back and redo some of the main textures or any that need improvement. Hopefully I will learn something along the way, I'm simply doing this for fun and because I want textures for all of the levels quick just as many of you do. Gambit's and other artists' textures are obviously quality textures but quality takes time. For those of you who wouldn't mind some quick amateur textures to hold you over (that's the reason I'm making them), there's me 😮). Level 2 is being worked on, friday I may have something to show. I could have kept this project private I suppose, but I thought some of you might like some quick updated texturers as much as I would. It is to be expected that some people will prefer waiting for quality textures made by real artists.

As for the reason I'm doing Caves even though it's already been done. Well, I didn't want the stand out like rusty nails in comparison to the excellent textures done by experienced artists. I'd rather have a unified package of textures by the end of this project, if you know what I mean.

Reply 6 of 6, by Gambit37

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

"Quality takes time." Quite!

I realise that you're an amateur 'Guest', but seriously, what is the point of simply applying some filters to the existing textures? In my opinion, you're not adding anything but some embossing and grain, and for me that simply isn't enough to qualify as 'new textures'.

It's not hard to start learning how to make new textures from scrath. Most of my stuff starts from a base photograph or by generating base textures in PhotoShop. As Jedi Ninja said, try searching on Google for decent texture tuorials -- you'll surely pick up the basics from there and then can move on to better things.