VOGONS

First post, by beachboy1122

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello everybody. I’ve got a wonderful PC set up with original system files and original accessories. It is a Windows Millennium, HP VLi8 Slim Form, also known as the HP Vectra. It has a real Floppy Drive too. This must be worth a fortune. The internet connection is via LAN. It is true that the RetroZilla Browser works. Yet I am more interested in having enjoyment with the Windows software and features with the World Wide Web. Would you guys mind creating a list here of all software features that would still connect to the internet?

By the way, here’s the good part. Windows Millennium’s embedded DOS mode can be 100% functional where upon editing and adding to the other ‘config.sys’ and ‘autoexec.bat’ files in the C:\Windows\ path the SET SOUND, SET MIDI, SET CDROM. Apparently the MIDI command tells DOS to recognize an analog joystick. I will post more specific updates when I wake up.

Sincerely , Mike.

Reply 1 of 4, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Not really sure which programs will still work, even 20 years ago I can only remember using email and lesser extent ICQ and MSN messenger oh and I spose Napster.
Don't know/care if these can still work.

You can use old browsers (something that is kind of interesting for me) using a proxy service.
WebOne - proxy for old browsers to make them Web 2.0-capable

Reply 2 of 4, by beachboy1122

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
chinny22 wrote on 2023-01-23, 12:08:
Not really sure which programs will still work, even 20 years ago I can only remember using email and lesser extent ICQ and MSN […]
Show full quote

Not really sure which programs will still work, even 20 years ago I can only remember using email and lesser extent ICQ and MSN messenger oh and I spose Napster.
Don't know/care if these can still work.

You can use old browsers (something that is kind of interesting for me) using a proxy service.
WebOne - proxy for old browsers to make them Web 2.0-capable

Why is the internet not working all of a sudden? Putting aside what I was asking at the top. The concern now is to at least just load Google.com. The browsers I have installed are Opera 10.01 and RetroZilla. I think I need the instructions again on the security settings. By the way my LAN cable is plugged into a router on the other side. Please advise, I don’t know why Google stopped connecting.

Reply 4 of 4, by Vic Zarratt

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Good luck with the matters of security on this machine... Norton discontinued xp support in 2020 and i'd imagine most other "mainstream" security packages have done the same.
Apart from that, looking at old pages on wayback machine should be fun on your retro PC.

I manage a pot-pourri of video matter...