VOGONS

Reply 40 of 47, by javispedro1

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
mbsystem wrote on 2024-05-20, 14:33:

Could you do an update for the safe mode in case it is not possible to load the DOS driver ?

Can you elaborate? In safe mode it won't load the drv either, as it will ignore your system.ini .

Reply 41 of 47, by mbsystem

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

In safe mode windows load system.cb if present (not system.ini) .
Example:
[boot]
mouse.drv=mouse.drv
*DisplayFallback=0
386grabber=vgadib.3gr
display.drv=vbemp.drv

[386Enh]
display=vbe.vxd

Reply 42 of 47, by javispedro1

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Are you saying you have edited system.cb to force-load vbmouse.drv in safe mode ? .... why ?
The .drv can't spawn the .exe , by the time the .drv is loaded it's too late for a global TSR to load.

Reply 43 of 47, by mbsystem

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Yes, vbmouse.drv not work in safe mode, but mouse.drv seems to work a bit.
The only solution I found in safe mode is to use NumpadMouse06c.

Reply 44 of 47, by javispedro1

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Another alternative for your case is to use the older vbmouse, which was "standalone" and doesn't require the DOS driver .
I kept it separately archived as now I remember someone was using it for win9x : https://git.javispedro.com/cgit/vbmouse.git/about/ .
Here is a floppy image https://depot.javispedro.com/vbox/vbmouse1.flp .

mbsystem wrote on 2024-05-20, 17:10:

The only solution I found in safe mode is to use NumpadMouse06c.

I still don't understand what is that you want to do. Can you elaborate? Why are you changing system.cb _at all_? Why do you want a custom driver in safe mode ?

Reply 45 of 47, by mbsystem

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I like things to work, even safe mode. For me, your old driver no longer works on the latest version of VirtualBox (even blocks safe mode from loading)

Your vbados_0_70 alpha work normaly in normal mode. I see no difference with 0.67.

Thanks again for your work.

Reply 46 of 47, by javispedro1

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
mbsystem wrote on 2024-05-20, 18:28:

I like things to work, even safe mode.

Are you saying that the normal Win9x mouse driver doesn't "work" ? That would be a much more important problem to diagnose. What hardware do you have ? What does "not work" mean ?
I believe it completely defeats the purpose of safe mode if you just copy your regular setup & drivers to it.
Not to mention there may be some hardcoded behavior in safe mode that you can't disable.
Maybe you want hardware profiles?

I can't recommending messing with safe mode. vbmouse.drv always requires the old-style mouse drivers (with vkd, vmd and without vmouse) and I'm not sure if safe mode will allow that. EDIT: As seen below, it apparently does, though.

For me, your old driver no longer works on the latest version of VirtualBox (even blocks safe mode from loading)

For the sake of avoiding roundtrips, can you provide details every time you say something works or doesn't work ? At this point I'm not even sure which OS are you using.
What did you do? How do you see it doesn't work? Instructions to reproduce, etc.
I just tested right now on VirtualBox 7.0.18 and a fresh Win95 osr2 using 9xsetup.inf -> right click -> install method and it works for me.
I also tried safe mode: all I had to is copy system.ini system.cb.
Don't understand why you'd want to do that, but it works.

Your vbados_0_70 alpha work normaly in normal mode. I see no difference with 0.67.

This is in progress work for 5 button mouse and horizontal wheel support. I only tested it in win3.11 so far.
There was some interest in extending the DOS int33 API to support 2nd wheel, so I'm proposing a spec -- see https://github.com/joncampbell123/dosbox-x/is … ment-2119335773
0.70alpha implements this spec.

Reply 47 of 47, by mbsystem

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

it's windows 98 se afterwards I don't really know. You can send me a VirtualBox hardware profile (.vbox) if you want. Thanks.