VOGONS

Quake2 + Acebot for DOSBox (128mb)

Topic actions

Reply 465 of 862, by _ggorts

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I couldn't reproduce your result, at least without introducing errors. I also don't have a 3dfx card to test with and probably dosbox 3dfx emulation is not ideal, especially with glide3 functions. I wonder if the emulation was tested against glide3, too.

Reply 466 of 862, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

You guys need some real hardware owners? There's several around, we can rattle some cages. Mind you, you'll probably have to build the binaries for them...

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto

Reply 467 of 862, by Maraakate

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have real hardware, just not an original voodoo 1.

I have a voodoo 2, multiple voodoo 3 cards and a voodoo 5 5500. The build you sent me would not work under the voodoo 2. I don't know if the detection routine for a voodoo 1 is slightly different compared to a voodoo 2? For kicks I tried copying a glide2x.ovl into q2dos directory and it still complained it never found a voodoo card so I have no clue how the code is detecting it being a voodoo 1. And as far as I know all the dos emulators are only emulating the original voodoo 1 card and not a voodoo 2. I also never bothered to own an original voodoo 1 because as I understand games like q1 and q2 were living in a world more targeted to the voodoo 2, especially because of the SLI capabalities. Though, I have read on here some games are very specific about wanting a voodoo 1 (3dfx Blood is notorious for such nonsense, but I have been able to get it to run hit-or-miss sometimes on voodoo 3s).

The biggest problem with the emulators is the stuff that is being done with QDOS, Q2DOS, and even leillol's graphics projects is that it's really pushing limits of what was even really being done at the time and emulators may be relying on game specific hacks and other things so it's really not the best way to test, but I think they are good starting points for seeing if the code even does anything at all (which you proved it is doing /something/).

If someone has an original voodoo 1 I'd love to know if ggorts binaries do anything at all on a real voodoo 1 in real DOS.

Reply 468 of 862, by Maraakate

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

My other thought of something that might be worthwhile to attempt is to null out every opengl function in ref_gl and slowly write a dos glide3x mini driver. That may or may not be easier than trying to rewrite the entire driver from scratch.

Reply 469 of 862, by Maraakate

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

And another thing is I think you should make a github or bitbucket repostiory. Fork q2dos from bitbucket and then copy and paste your updated stuff overtop it and then we can see the changes and then everyone here can collaborate instead of relying on PMs. Sezero may even be able to help, and he's one of the best guys I've seen out there who can catch very subtle mistakes. He's saved my ass plenty of times on some really stupid and easy to overlook mistakes that can manifest as total meltdown bugs.

Reply 471 of 862, by Maraakate

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Voodoo 3s tend to be the cheapest from what I've seen. Voodoo 5's can be had cheaply if you're dilligent on ebay for underpriced or mis-typo'd buy it nows, otherwise forget it.

In the past 5 years or so I noticed the prices on even really shitty hardware has skyrocketed unfortunately.

Reply 473 of 862, by Maraakate

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
leileilol wrote:

I have a V3 3000 in a Klamath 300 and a V2. Unfortunately my V2 recently died.

If the mesafx code he posted isn't relying on an external glide file then it appears someone here would have to test it on a real voodoo 1, which I don't think many people have bothered to keep around any more.

Reply 474 of 862, by _ggorts

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

In that earlier test binary, the opengl screen was not actually frozen. Instead, the last opengl screen didn't clear while the text mode was hidden, and the keyboard input was active. That led to a clue, and another minor code edit, which led to this next test binary for Voodoo1 only (attached). Please test.

Edit: removed binary (test #3) since result not reproduced yet. Working on another version.

Last edited by _ggorts on 2015-08-15, 09:33. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 475 of 862, by Maraakate

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Still freezes at the "images" part of loading a map. I still think you should focus your efforts on a voodoo 3 compile or voodoo 5. I cant really test any of this shit on real hardware otherwise. And nobody has even stepped forward to test any of this on real hardware. And I'm not paying $40-$50 for a piece of shit card.

Reply 479 of 862, by Maraakate

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

How long should something happen? I ran it like you said and it's just a black screen currently. I'm using that japanese enhanced dosbox port (Forget the name of it). Do you have the cinematics enabled? Default configs? etc?