VOGONS

Quake2 + Acebot for DOSBox (128mb)

Topic actions

Reply 600 of 862, by Maraakate

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Amigamerlin is the guy who was maintaining 3rd party drivers for Voodoo cards about a decade or so ago. Not sure if he's still active.

Personally, I always used the WickedGL mini drivers whenever I could because they usually beat Amigamerlin drivers and the original mini drivers as well.

There's no source to WickedGL, so we'll never be able to get those kinds of optimizations, whatever they did.
But, being able to play all of this in real DOS with good framerates with 3D acceleration is crazy! I can't believe you figured out the right combo for getting it all to work 😀

Reply 601 of 862, by Maraakate

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Anyways, here's all the 3DFX builds: https://bitbucket.org/neozeed/q2dos/downloads … _3DFX_LATEST.7Z

Maybe you want to update the first post in the thread (if you can).

Reply 602 of 862, by __ggorts

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I think we are fortunate that the djgpp developers stayed active for a while after dos6. I'm also really glad for this and having your port with a stability and relevant features that are unmatched. You made fast work of all this, I'm looking forward to actually trying this out on a few maps. 😀

Also, if a moderator would be kind enough to add your link above to the front page.

Reply 604 of 862, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Wow, you guys cracked it: congratulations!

Since it's been a while since anyone has built MESA or Glide for DOS, I'd also like to host the built libraries and source patches on VOGONSDrivers besides this thread here. Can you tell me which attachments to snag and descriptions I can use?

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto

Reply 606 of 862, by __ggorts

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

That's great work on the driver, thanks! Even the frame rates have improved with the latest changes. Also, appreciate the additions of new variables like the color depth. That's probably the first time someone has looked at the gpci code in over a decade. 😀

Reply 607 of 862, by Maraakate

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I was also able to get the updated ref_gl that knightmare made to compile now as well. The only real advantage there is that it enables the multitexturing (it's ignored otherwise in the original ref_gl you ported unless its win32). Afaik, the only cards that support multitexturing properly in hardware were the V4 and V5 boards. Enabling it actually slightly decreased performance and I noticed no difference in image quality or special effects. I'm unsure if anything in Quake 2 uses multitexturing for an effect.

In Daikatana, the shiny weapons effect relies on multitexturing a transparent'ish skin texture over top of the already skinned weapon model. It relied on the deprecated SGIS multitexture extension. We had to convert that to ARB multitexture and Knightmare did the same for this ref_gl.

Reply 608 of 862, by __ggorts

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

That's very interesting. Your documentation of the library is invaluable, and the extensive testing of these gl functions! On a more minor note, I noted from the headers that the library could be built in an alternate namespace, so the function names are prefixed with m_*, or so I recall. If so, then two opengl libs could be attached, one for fxmesa, and another for opengl. This may allow for software only functions that extend beyond hardware spec. But I guess this is probably not realistic or even possible (instead just a comment on the mangle_* header files). 😀

Reply 609 of 862, by Maraakate

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I just moved all the stuff in dos/3rdparty/ where the other libs and includes are so its not so much of a mess any more.

I hope to get some parts of the menu done today or tomorrow. Then sezero is going to help somehow make it all work as a DXE and audit your diff changes to mesa 5.0.2 and glide3x.

Knightmare's OpenGL version had some issues with doing vid_restarts and the vid_gamma was no longer adjustable so I'll have to investigate that at a later date to find out what I missed there. It also had some kind of issues with aggressive mip map dithering. I remember having that kidn of issue with his driver before in Windows and had to use WickedGL to solve that issue.

Another interesting thing is because the renderering is up to the card now I can set the s_khz to max on a GUS (44khz) and if the frame rate gets low the sound won't get choppy. Which is pretty neat to see.

Reply 610 of 862, by __ggorts

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

That's wonderful! I look forward to all your work. That's interesting, too, how the card impacts the gus sound under heavy requirements.

I hope the menus and dxe work in easily (I think there are quite a # of gl functions!). It will be unique to have all these options under one roof. I also appreciate any work on mesa/glide. I did try a "diff" file for teximage.c between mesa5 and mesa6; it would have been perfect if all the changes were stored under a modern versioning system, but their occasional updates may be a treasure trove.

Glad to hear about knightmare's opengl work. I hope it updates with no trouble. It should be of interest to hear about the dithering application, too.

Reply 611 of 862, by Maraakate

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I just submitted a commit a little while ago that finally has a dedicated menu with vid modes to select from. There's a slight bug where it seems to run vid_restart twice. Something must be trigger immediately as ->modified and not being reset right afterwards. I'll have to check around the code to see, but otherwise it works fine.

Reply 613 of 862, by Maraakate

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I fixed it. It was related to the glimp_set_mode you added at the end of R_SetMode. So essentially it was setting the mode twice every time. I assume it was a leftover from before I added the video table for the resolutions and you were forcing 640x480 even if it was a bad mode #.

Reply 616 of 862, by Maraakate

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Well, I did quick a search for you on ebay. Theres a couple of Voodoo 3's that are under $10 with 0 bids. If you want to wait and snipe them, there's a couple that are about $15-$20 buy it nows plus about $10 shipping or so.

Reply 619 of 862, by __ggorts

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Should be for x86 path:
FX_GLIDE_HW ?= sst1
USE_X86 ?= 1

I recall that this path worked better than x86=0, but I'm going on recollection. I think it's in an archive posted earlier, along with the makefile, so I can verify.

And used djgpp204/gcc295. I wonder if that's why I reverted back to that environment?

Edit: Quake2 + Acebot for DOSBox (128mb)

Edit2: also I tried the latest q2dos and it worked great, along with the menu options for the hardware acceleration.