Forgot to post this, I made some benchmarks with FastDoom 0.666 in one of my testbenchs.
FastDoom 386 build, Doom shareware 1.9 WAD, Demo3, default fullscreen + hud.
CPU: Cyrix CX486 33Mhz (8Kb L1 WB)
Mainboard: CH 498B (512Kb L2 WB)
RAM: 32Mb EDO
Video card: Generic S3 805i VLB (1Mb)
Sound card: None
I/O card: Generic IDE ISA
HDD: Generic CompactFlash 256Mb
- FastDoom 0.666 is 20% faster in high quality, and 28% faster in low quality compared to Doom shareware 1.9 (fullscreen + hud)
- FastDoom low quality is ~1.7 times faster than FastDoom high quality (fullscreen + hud)
- FastDoom Potato quality is ~2.5 times faster than FastDoom high quality (fullscreen + hud)
- Flatter surfaces isn't faster compared to flat surfaces with low quality and high quality. Flat surfaces gives 20% extra performance in low quality, and 17% in high quality. Flatter surfaces is faster with potato quality, giving 26% extra performance.
- Reduced screen size gives an important boost
- The other visual optimizations have minimal impact in performance