VOGONS

Windows 11 has been released

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

Reply 120 of 252, by Bruninho

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Instead of WinMess 11, I just decided to expand my existing Win 10 Pro x64 VM to a few more GBs, installed the latest updates, the Adobe suite, upgraded a few apps that was already there, and now it's somewhat workable, decent temporary work env.

A little better than the confusion they made with Win 11. Now to find a way to disable UAC and later some time to add work bookmarks and iCloud extensions to Edge for a less painful experience. I think I did not miss anything this time.

"Design isn't just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works."
JOBS, Steve.
READ: Right to Repair sucks and is illegal!

Reply 121 of 252, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

All I'm hearing is... Blah blah.. I don't like Windows 11 just because so I'm not going to give it a chance.. blah blah whine whine.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 123 of 252, by Bruninho

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
cyclone3d wrote on 2021-10-10, 03:27:

All I'm hearing is... Blah blah.. I don't like Windows 11 just because so I'm not going to give it a chance.. blah blah whine whine.

I gave it a chance. An entire night trying to set it up and work with it. It didn't work.

kolderman wrote on 2021-10-10, 03:30:

Well I doubt anyone who skipped Vista/8 had any regrets, but I still hear people complain bitterly about them.

I used Vista for a while and I did regret it. Windows 8 it only lasted half an hour before I downgraded to 7.

I'd have stuck with 7 for a far more time than I did when 10 was around, but I hated the ribbons... and to my surprise, they were still there for 10.

JOBS, Steve.

Reply 124 of 252, by dr_st

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Well I doubt anyone who skipped Vista/8 had any regrets, but I still hear people complain bitterly about them.

Vista and Win8 were big UI changes. This always gets people to complain. Vista was also a rather big kernel change, which gave stabilities issue early on. Win11 so far seems not to be so far off from Win10; although the UI is different, it doesn't feel super-different.

https://cloakedthargoid.wordpress.com/ - Random content on hardware, software, games and toys

Reply 125 of 252, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Bruninho wrote on 2021-10-10, 03:40:
I gave it a chance. An entire night trying to set it up and work with it. It didn't work. […]
Show full quote
cyclone3d wrote on 2021-10-10, 03:27:

I gave it a chance. An entire night trying to set it up and work with it. It didn't work.

I used Vista for a while and I did regret it. Windows 8 it only lasted half an hour before I downgraded to 7.

I'd have stuck with 7 for a far more time than I did when 10 was around, but I hated the ribbons... and to my surprise, they were still there for 10.

I've got 11 running on 2 laptops and a desktop so far.... granted they are all officially supported platforms but I've been running 11 since early pre-release and only problem I ever had was with the audio volume changing by itself and telling me it was muted when it wasn't.... The volume issue went away after an update.

Getting ready to put it on my 4th gen XEON system as well.

What are the system specs of the computer you were trying to run it on?

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 126 of 252, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Hi! Does any of you testers know what's new in XI?
New Win32 API functions, new kernal, USB 4 support? New devices classes etc etc?
- I've been searching the news, but except for that demake of a GUI and some virtualization-based security "enhancements", nothing showed up.
Ok, support for Android applications (Win RT says hi!) somewhen in the future.

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 127 of 252, by xcomcmdr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Bruninho wrote on 2021-10-09, 22:12:

Because WinMess 11 sucks, that's it. I'm done with it. It's completely counter intuitive to use, hard to configure/customize, slow and UAC piss me off since its introduction ages ago. I don't wanna mess with this garbage again. Already deleted it.

UI wise, macOS sucks way harder.

Reply 128 of 252, by Azarien

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

8 was a joke. But fully updated, it's 8.1 and still supported, with Classic Shell or similar installed it's perfectly usable.

Now 11 I'm gonna skip or at least wait for a few years. I don't like the UI changes, but also simply because none of my PCs would run it without hacks, I believe.
Stupid move.

Reply 129 of 252, by dormcat

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Azarien wrote on 2021-10-10, 09:11:

8 was a joke.

Looks like the UI team of Microsoft incorrectly predicted that tablets would be the main computing device of the future, and all new monitors and laptop screens would be touch-capable.

Reply 130 of 252, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
dormcat wrote on 2021-10-10, 10:44:

8 was a joke.

Looks like the UI team of Microsoft incorrectly predicted that tablets would be the main computing device of the future, and all new monitors and laptop screens would be touch-capable.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Post-PC_era

In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 135 of 252, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

tonight I dreamt of pretzels with torns
eggs with feathers too

//My video channel//

Reply 136 of 252, by Errius

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Jo22 wrote on 2021-10-10, 12:26:
dormcat wrote on 2021-10-10, 10:44:

8 was a joke.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Post-PC_era

They deliberately made 8 as annoying as possible for desktop users in the expectation that people would junk their old machines and buy a Surface. In fact what mostly happened is that people junked their old machines and bought a Mac.

8.1 was intended to repair the damage. It's a good OS and what 8 should have been from the start. (I still use it on my main rig and laptop).

Is this too much voodoo?

Reply 138 of 252, by Bruninho

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
xcomcmdr wrote on 2021-10-10, 07:21:
Bruninho wrote on 2021-10-09, 22:12:

Because WinMess 11 sucks, that's it. I'm done with it. It's completely counter intuitive to use, hard to configure/customize, slow and UAC piss me off since its introduction ages ago. I don't wanna mess with this garbage again. Already deleted it.

UI wise, macOS sucks way harder.

I work as an UI/UX Designer, and I can tell you that this is not true. My years of experience with macOS has always been fast, intuitive, easy, smooth and straight to the point. Even Ubuntu was closer to that with much less effort.

Where as with Windows was always the opposite since Vista days. Do you want to know what really sucks way harder?

Android and Windows 11. Both have the worst user experience I have ever tested. Great fight…

I just reverted the VM back to Win 10 Pro. People here trying to blame my machine and everything else but it’s not a machine problem, not a performance problem, its an UX/UI problem with Windows 11. Worst first time experience ever with a “brand new” OS. An entire night trying to figure out where the things are, how to do this or that, hours searching on google when you couldn’t figure it out by yourself, this is a sign of bad UX, a good UI/UX is like a good joke, you shouldn’t have to explain it later. It should just work straight out of the box.

I couldn’t install any of my Adobe suite except Xd, but Xd was already an UWP app, while on Win 10 I was able to install pretty much smoothly all three apps I need for work (Ps, Ai, Xd). The “new” start menu is horrible because you can’t remove the “recommended” bullshit that appears below the pinned apps, you can’t do this or that anymore (there’s a review on WindowsCentral that pretty much sums up a similar experience with the UI) and last but not least, the UI is far from finished. I can spot several problems like one with the dropdowns; when you select “more options” it shows a new dropdown with a small blue bar when hovering the options, as opposed to the “standard” glass style dropdowns. I’d take a screenshot to show it if I hadn’t deleted the VM after spotting and being annoyed with several problems of usability.

I couldn’t easily get my work certificates to be recognized by Edge to access an website where I generate the monthly receipts for my employer to pay me, I had to google for some time to find out that I had to clear the cache completely and reopen Edge. While on macOS I just import them to Keychain Access and they’re recognized straight out of the box by all my installed browsers, not just Safari, which I need for cross browser testing.

I have to hack the registry to be able to customize the spacing of desktop icons. Really, ridiculous UX. While on macOS all I have to do is right click, open a small modal with slider controls to choose icon size and spacing, in an easy and intuitive way.

I won’t even mention the UX for the new Settings app…

The overall user experience from W10 to W11 has worsened much, much more than it was when Windows 8 came in. Windows 11 did not pass my UI/UX tests.

//End Rant

JOBS, Steve.