VOGONS

Ancient DOS Games Webshow

Topic actions

Reply 1440 of 3356, by SquallStrife

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Youtube receives 100 hours of content every minute. You couldn't hire enough people to review the monetisation requests in reasonable time.

VogonsDrivers.com | Link | News Thread

Reply 1441 of 3356, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
SquallStrife wrote:

Youtube receives 100 hours of content every minute. You couldn't hire enough people to review the monetisation requests in reasonable time.

you underestimate just how many people there are in India & China, sir.

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 1442 of 3356, by Gemini000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

You wouldn't have to:

1. Hire a team of people who's job it is to look after monetization situations.
2. Each time a particular channel exceeds a certain threshold of monetized views (such as the first 100,000 views then all increments of 5,000,000 following), a member of this team is randomly chosen to review the channel for 10 to 15 minutes, scanning through various videos and checking to ensure content is acceptable for monetization.
3. If there's any doubts and it's not clear one way or the other, a message is sent to the channel owner with specific videos questioned and the owner is asked to provide details about why they feel the content can be claimed for monetization.
4. If the channel owner doesn't respond or fails to provide an adequate explanation, to be reviewed by someone completely different, monetization is disabled.

YouTube's already got Content-ID in place so it seems even more ridiculous that now your videos have to pass TWO completely different levels of automated clearing to avoid getting flagged by YouTube's system. :P

Besides, Google may be a massive company compared to Blip, yet Blip is the one that can somehow afford to offer personal responses to ALL tech support inquiries any of its content producers have. I'm pretty sure Google could pull it off too if they threw a proportionate chunk of money at it and streamlined the process.

--- Kris Asick (Gemini)
--- Pixelmusement Website: www.pixelships.com
--- Ancient DOS Games Webshow: www.pixelships.com/adg

Reply 1443 of 3356, by SquallStrife

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
luckybob wrote:
SquallStrife wrote:

you underestimate just how many people there are in India & China, sir.

I think you underestimate how much "100 hours of video every minute" actually is. If it is indeed that high.

Gemini000 wrote:

Besides, Google may be a massive company compared to Blip, yet Blip is the one that can somehow afford to offer personal responses to ALL tech support inquiries any of its content producers have. I'm pretty sure Google could pull it off too if they threw a proportionate chunk of money at it and streamlined the process.

Proportionate to what?

According to Blip's press page, they have "2000+ independent producers".

According to Youtube's statistics page, they have "more than a million creators from over 30 countries around the world earning money from their YouTube videos"

VogonsDrivers.com | Link | News Thread

Reply 1444 of 3356, by Gemini000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Proportionate to that. ;)

Plus, YouTube's statistics are probably skewed a bit to be more impressive by counting absolutely anyone with monetized content, even if they only get 20 hits a week.

Still, my point there was that because Google is such a massive company it shouldn't be hard to create a solution to offer REAL tech support despite the massive number of people who use their service, it would just cost money, and Google probably figures the number of people having problems with YouTube does not negatively affect their income, so why bother throwing money at it? :P

It's all a numbers game with big companies: It costs X amount of dollars to offer tech support and it costs Y amount of dollars in lost customers if we don't. If X is greater than Y, continue to not offer tech support. If Y is greater than X, make it happen.

--- Kris Asick (Gemini)

Reply 1445 of 3356, by cdoublejj

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

More then likely when it marked them for "additional review" they were handed off to real humans who clicked the "okay". that's my guess at least.

Reply 1446 of 3356, by Gemini000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

In other news, my ultimatum is working out; The music update is once again almost ready to go! Just need to reconvert a few tunes to MP3 again after making minor alterations and copy-paste a bunch of stuff into some HTML pages, one page for the main index, one page for comparison tunes which showcase how my skills have evolved over the years, and one page for game-related music specifically. THIS time, now that I have unlimited bandwidth from my web hosting provider, there shouldn't be any concerns about running out of GB if absolutely everyone who watches the show downloads all 61 MP3s.

Yeah, I dunno if I mentioned before or not, but I'm uploading SIXTY ONE music files tomorrow, most of which are between 3 and 5 minutes long. I wasn't exaggerating about how much bandwidth could get eaten if every ADG fan were to download every music file! :o

--- Kris Asick (Gemini)

Reply 1447 of 3356, by cdoublejj

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Back tracking a bit, I also think my favorite Simcity is Simcity 3000 since it's the one i grew up with, I remember calling my cousin Vinny quite a bit when i played it.

Reply 1448 of 3356, by Gemini000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

SimCity 3000 is also my favourite because it's a lot easier to get into despite its complexities and because the landscape doesn't play nearly as huge a factor in building a functioning city as it did in SC2K.

I also enjoy the SNES SimCity because it's very well polished and has a lot of extra features over the original game, mind you I don't own a copy yet and the last time I played it on a real SNES was about 20 years ago. :P

--- Kris Asick (Gemini)

Reply 1449 of 3356, by cdoublejj

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

there are always roms and emulators for personal use. you can buy legit SNES controllers converted to USB, i found a guy who can provide the best condition SNES controllers money can buy on ebay but, that's if you really like plat formers. 🤣

If dos games get old maybe you can do classic games including but, not limited to Sim city 3k. 🤣

Reply 1450 of 3356, by Gemini000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Ancient DOS Games Filler #30 - Music Update & More is online... along with LOTS of music! :D

Sorry I'm running slightly late with this. My HTML editor crashed on me halfway through making the page listings for all my music, so I had to do it all over again... and it took five times longer than I expected it to either way. :P

BUT, all the music I intended to upload is uploaded now! Since I didn't have time to test everything out, if anyone finds any glitches or errors with the new music pages or the music itself then please let me know here or by eMail.

*stomach growls*

...and now to go have a VERY late dinner... ^_^;

--- Kris Asick (Gemini)

Reply 1451 of 3356, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

What was that flash of text around 5:30 in the video?

BTW, speaking of tracker music: I'd like to recommend xmp (not XMPlay, which is also good) as a modern open-source library/player for various track music formats: http://xmp.sourceforge.net/

The author is awesome: I've sent him a bunch of bug reports over the last year or to (usually with attached tracker files that demonstrate the issue), and he's used the feedback to improve xmp (usually with a surprisingly quick turnaround).

I usually use Un4seen's XMPlay on Windows, but xmp is unmatched on Linux and Android.

Reply 1452 of 3356, by BigBodZod

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
SquallStrife wrote:

Any thoughts on why Kroz is Zork backwards? Some kind of tribute? A good natured ribbing perhaps?

I bet it is, kind of like Redrum 😉

No matter where you go, there you are...

Reply 1453 of 3356, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
BigBodZod wrote:
SquallStrife wrote:

Any thoughts on why Kroz is Zork backwards? Some kind of tribute? A good natured ribbing perhaps?

I bet it is, kind of like Redrum 😉

I remember reading somewhere that it was a tribute.

Reply 1454 of 3356, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

How is XMP compared to Dumb? Low-end performance? DOS compiling?

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 1455 of 3356, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
leileilol wrote:

Never heard of Dumb. It blows Mikmod (and one other library/player whose name I can't remember) out of the water in terms of accuracy.

I'm not sure about DOS performance, but it runs fine on my obsolete 1GHz ARM based Evo 4G phone.

I think it's written in C, but I don't remember for certain.

Reply 1456 of 3356, by mr_bigmouth_502

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I know that you say that your early music is terrible and extremely hard to listen to, but I would actually be interested in checking it out. I mean, I enjoy listening to stuff like black metal and noise music, so I can't see how your compositions would be any harder to listen to.

Here's an example of some quality "Japanoise", by the incredibly prolific artist Merzbow. It has no melody, no rhythm, nothing like that, just pure harsh, unadulterated, NOISE. 😁 It is literally painful to listen to if you're not used to weird crap like I am 🤣 Be sure to turn down your volume if you're brave enough to give it a listen. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0xqZwZikRlY

Reply 1457 of 3356, by cdoublejj

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
HunterZ wrote:
Never heard of Dumb. It blows Mikmod (and one other library/player whose name I can't remember) out of the water in terms of acc […]
Show full quote
leileilol wrote:

Never heard of Dumb. It blows Mikmod (and one other library/player whose name I can't remember) out of the water in terms of accuracy.

I'm not sure about DOS performance, but it runs fine on my obsolete 1GHz ARM based Evo 4G phone.

I think it's written in C, but I don't remember for certain.

🤣 obsolete, let me show the specs of my phone that came in 2011, http://pdadb.net/index.php?m=specs&id=3059&c= … crossover_p8000

Reply 1459 of 3356, by mr_bigmouth_502

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have a Samsung Galaxy Ace with an 800MHz CPU and 256MB of ram, running Cyanogenmod 7. 🤣 That my friends, is obsolete. The funny thing is, I got it just over a year ago.