User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Gemini000 wrote:
WolverineDK wrote:

Removed by Qbix

Maybe... but you just announced your guess to the rest of the forum! 😜

If you want to actually submit one to potentially see your name in the credits, you need to use my ADG eMail address. You can find it in the credits of any ADG episode or on the Contact page of my website: http://www.pixelships.com/contact.html

I emailed my guess. I hope I used the right email address. I used adg@pixelships.com

Edit: Hey! How come when I went to the site I wasn't sent to the most recent episode? I just watched it again and realized I was sent to episode 47 instead of episode 50. Now my guess is no good. 🤣

Corrected guess sent in.

Reply 321 of 3355, by Gemini000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I still find it funny how some people think that when I say anything related to their guess they suddenly think they got it right. XD

Also... how did you get directed to episode 47 instead of 50? If it was from blip.tv/adg then I can understand why that might've happened, but I just checked my website and all my links for recent episodes are working fine.

...or did you just click the wrong button? :P

--- Kris Asick (Gemini)
--- Pixelmusement Website: www.pixelships.com
--- Ancient DOS Games Webshow: www.pixelships.com/adg

Reply 322 of 3355, by Gemini000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Season 2 of Ancient DOS Games has Begun!

Kicking off the second season of Ancient DOS Games is Episode 51 - Duke Nukem

I decided it would be a good idea to start the second season with a game everyone should be familiar with... and I'll be extremely surprised if anyone here has not at least heard of this game.

I still find it funny that I owned this game (and Duke Nukem II) for years and didn't even know it because it was stashed away on my Duke Nukem 3D disc. Go figure. ;D

I'm also uploading in a new format now that's better suited to the Blip.tv player, is higher quality without using that much more bandwidth (about a 10% increase in overall file size), and is less likely to die a sudden death at random points in time. If anyone has any issues playing back this episode, or any of my previous episodes, please let me know!

...and I'm not revealing how I got Duke to say what he did at the start of the episode. ;)

--- Kris Asick (Gemini)

Reply 323 of 3355, by WolverineDK

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Gemini000: I know how you "made" Duke say what "he" said. There are actually at least two editors that can edit, such things. TED5 is one, and the other I can not seem to remember the name of, but some years ago the forum member Frenkel (whom is a member of 3d realms website and a few others) he and his brother had an awesome site . Which sadly is no more, as far I am aware of. Where he had many links to info, cheats, and other cool stuff, and editors too. He was a programmer too, and one of his friends had made wombat tools, which also could extract and edit quite a few games and graphics. So there are quite a few ways to get Duke to "say" what ever you want 😀 Great episode none the less, and sorry for bursting your "bubble" of secrecy when it comes how you edit Duke and a lot of other old games 😀

Reply 324 of 3355, by Gemini000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I was more-so referring to his voice. The on-screen graphics and text were really easy to edit. ;)

Speaking of Duke Nukem, I finally did get the full PC version of DNF, and so far, I think it's a good game. Not a GREAT game, but certainly not deserving of the wrath being inflicted on it by reviewers... at least on the PC. (Considering I'm only getting about 20 FPS with high detail settings and my computer is more powerful than an X-Box 360, I can't imagine how bad the 360 version must be... My brother-in-law has the 360 version, I should take a look and compare.)

So far, my biggest complaint is having to wait through a complete reload of the level if you die in single player, which is stupid but doesn't detract from the overall experience... so long as you don't die repeatedly in the same spot.

BTW: No one's even attempted to guess next week's ADG episode yet, so I'll give everyone one more hint: It ripped off Doom's sound effects.

--- Kris Asick (Gemini)

Reply 325 of 3355, by WolverineDK

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Gemini000: oh that voice ? I actually think it is you who tried to speak deeper, or you could have asked LGR, who does a pretty good version of Duke. But I actually lean towards, that it was your voice. But then again, it is because it was basically the same overlaying voice. I am no scientist, or anything like that(but I am a good listener). But I believe it was your voice, and perhaps you could have used a filter. But it did not sound artificial.

Reply 326 of 3355, by Calvero

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

@Gemini000 Since you have played both Mega Man and Duke Nukem I was expecting some comment on the suspiciously similar looking crates, barrels and bricks in both games.

WolverineDK wrote:

some years ago the forum member Frenkel (whom is a member of 3d realms website and a few others) he and his brother had an awesome site . Which sadly is no more, as far I am aware of.

http://sfprod.tk seems to work. The site hasn't been updated in years though.

Gemini000 wrote:

The on-screen graphics and text were really easy to edit.

Did you edit the game files or did you alter some frames in you video with Windows Paint or something? The window with the text seems to be wider in your video than in my copy of Duke Nukem 1.

Reply 327 of 3355, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Gemini000 wrote:

BTW: No one's even attempted to guess next week's ADG episode yet, so I'll give everyone one more hint: It ripped off Doom's sound effects.

I know at least 4 of those for DOS, 2 on Linux, 13 on Windows. Sent my guess on one of them DOS ones, and I know i'm not confusing 'ripped off Doom' with 'also used Sound Ideas 6000'. When you rip off Bobby Prince's particular sound mixes of that library, it's obvious where the source is.

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 328 of 3355, by Gemini000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Calvero wrote:

@Gemini000 Since you have played both Mega Man and Duke Nukem I was expecting some comment on the suspiciously similar looking crates, barrels and bricks in both games.

Nah. I know they're similar and that the early Duke Nukem games "borrow" some elements like that, but I tend not to focus on comparisons between other games unless it's extremely blatant and easy to recognize.

Calvero wrote:
Gemini000 wrote:

The on-screen graphics and text were really easy to edit.

Did you edit the game files or did you alter some frames in you video with Windows Paint or something? The window with the text seems to be wider in your video than in my copy of Duke Nukem 1.

All of the menu graphics in Duke Nukem conform to an 8x8 pixel grid, so all I did was turn on the grid feature in Paint Shop Pro (one of the graphics editors I use) and abused copy-pasting. As for the flickering dot, I captured each frame of that and made GIF animations. The fade-ins don't actually show the text boxes so I just used the fades I had recorded from capturing gameplay footage.

--- Kris Asick (Gemini)

Reply 330 of 3355, by Gemini000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Err... I DID do Tyrian! ;D

Well, Tyrian 2000, which is basically Tyrian + more stuff. It was my fourth episode: http://www.pixelships.com/adg/ep0004.html

As for Duke3D, Tomb Raider and Blood, I'll add your requests to my requests list. ;)

--- Kris Asick (Gemini)

Reply 331 of 3355, by Gemini000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Ancient DOS Games Episode 52 - Cyberdogs is online!

I'm REALLY surprised at how few guesses rolled in for this one. This is a game I figured everyone would've played. As it stands, only three guesses came in, and only two of them were right, so that means all of you who haven't played this game really should because it's fun and awesome... a little easy, but still awesome. ;)

Hopefully next week's episode is a little more obvious. ^_^;

--- Kris Asick (Gemini)

Reply 332 of 3355, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yea most of the games you review are totally new to me. Which is good though! And part of the reason why I'm looking forward to your episodes.

I find the clues very hard to research. It's something you either know or you don't. Just like with Kings Quest 2 🤣

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 333 of 3355, by ripsaw8080

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

A couple of points about sound support in the 1.0 version of Cyberdogs reviewed on ADG:

- Tracker module music is supported, but it only works with a specific version of a specific module format. M2AMF.EXE version 1.6 can convert MOD and ST3 modules to the AMF module format that works. Other versions of M2AMF.EXE will likely not work, because the AMF format was evolving at the time. You can find the needed converter as part of the Dual Module Player 2.72 release (searching for DMP272.ZIP should turn up some downloads). Note: later versions of the game supported the more common MOD format.

- SB16 does work with the game in DOSBox. It's easiest to not put any IRQ or DMA settings in DOGS.INI so they are autodetected; but if you do put the settings, make sure to use dma=5, or whatever you have set as the high-DMA channel in the DOSBox config, because using the low-DMA channel (usually 1) will *not* work with SB16.

Reply 334 of 3355, by Gemini000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
ripsaw8080 wrote:

Tracker module music is supported, but it only works with a specific version of a specific module format. M2AMF.EXE version 1.6 can convert MOD and ST3 modules to the AMF module format that works. Other versions of M2AMF.EXE will likely not work, because the AMF format was evolving at the time. You can find the needed converter as part of the Dual Module Player 2.72 release (searching for DMP272.ZIP should turn up some downloads). Note: later versions of the game supported the more common MOD format.

I was aware of this, but because it's complicated getting music working, and there really isn't much point to doing so when you can just play music from something else, I didn't want to go into it.

Also, even the guy who made Cyberdogs isn't too keen about v1.1, which is why I covered v1.0. ;)

ripsaw8080 wrote:

SB16 does work with the game in DOSBox. It's easiest to not put any IRQ or DMA settings in DOGS.INI so they are autodetected; but if you do put the settings, make sure to use dma=5, or whatever you have set as the high-DMA channel in the DOSBox config, because using the low-DMA channel (usually 1) will *not* work with SB16.

I don't have any sound settings in my DOGS.INI file and yet SB16 support still didn't work. >_>;

Oh well. It sounds perfectly fine in SBPRO2 mode. :P

--- Kris Asick (Gemini)

Reply 335 of 3355, by ripsaw8080

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author
Gemini000 wrote:

you can just play music from something else

You can play music from something else with any game, but then you don't really get the change in music between the menu, levels, death, victory, etc. unless you're crazy enough to do that manually. Anyway, the info about the music was addressed to anyone that might want to play the game, not you in particular.

Gemini000 wrote:

the guy who made Cyberdogs isn't too keen about v1.1, which is why I covered v1.0

When I mentioned that later versions support MOD music, I was thinking more of C-Dogs 1.06; technically a sequel to Cyberdogs, but very similar.

Gemini000 wrote:

SB16 support still didn't work

The sfx quality is 8-bit, so no loss there from using SBPro2 instead; however, the music can benefit from 16-bit. Having tandy=on in your DOSBox config will interfere with SB16 detection in many games, as an example, but the point is that it works with default settings in DOSBox.

Reply 336 of 3355, by Gemini000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
ripsaw8080 wrote:
Gemini000 wrote:

SB16 support still didn't work

The sfx quality is 8-bit, so no loss there from using SBPro2 instead; however, the music can benefit from 16-bit. Having tandy=on in your DOSBox config will interfere with SB16 detection in many games, as an example, but the point is that it works with default settings in DOSBox.

...oops. Yeah, Tandy mode was set to "on". I set it back to "auto" and the SB16 support worked fine.

That's good to know that the Tandy sound support can conflict with the SB16 support. Thanks! ;)

--- Kris Asick (Gemini)

Reply 338 of 3355, by WolverineDK

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Gemini000: the hint you gave in this episode (good show by the way), made me think of two old (C64) games. And if you ask me, what game you maybe are hinting at, then my mind goes to two games. That I will probably PM you the names of, unless it is okay to write the names in initials ?

Reply 339 of 3355, by Gemini000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

If you want to submit a guess so you actually have a chance to appear in the credits at the end of the episode, you have to send it to my ADG eMail address: adg@pixelships.com

If you're worried about your name showing up you can always let me know how you would like to appear in the credits. Several people so far have provided me with alternate names to use for whatever their reasons may be. ;)

And telling me your guess without wanting to appear in the credits would be pointless since I can't reveal the game to anyone ahead of time no matter how much you beg or pay me. ;D

--- Kris Asick (Gemini)