VOGONS

First post, by doomer

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Finally EA does something right! They have released the two C&C Gold iso images for free. Amazing news. 😁

http://www.commandandconquer.com/intel/defaul … ?id=61#NewsMain

Reply 1 of 19, by franpa

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

holy crap, there must have been some firing of some people for doing this 🤣, im sure that EA never realized this was being done.

AMD Ryzen 3700X | ASUS Crosshair Hero VIII (WiFi) | 16GB DDR4 3600MHz RAM | MSI Geforce 1070Ti 8GB | Windows 10 Pro x64.

my website

Reply 2 of 19, by Zup

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

They've realized. It sais 404 - Not found.

[EDIT:] Sorry, it seems they're reallocating the files. Now I can download the "good boys" disc. I guess later "bad boys" disc will be available.

Last edited by Zup on 2007-09-02, 11:04. Edited 1 time in total.

I have traveled across the universe and through the years to find Her.
Sometimes going all the way is just a start...

I'm selling some stuff!

Reply 5 of 19, by Dr. Riptide

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

This story made it to the Digg front page pretty quickly, so the servers were indeed being hammered for several hours.

Intel Q6600 (2.4 GHz) | 4GB RAM | GeForce 8800 GT | Windows 7 64-bit

Reply 6 of 19, by Zup

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It seems that it is the Windows version of Command & Conquer. It seems that it needs a patch to run in Windows XP, patch that disables network playing...

I have traveled across the universe and through the years to find Her.
Sometimes going all the way is just a start...

I'm selling some stuff!

Reply 7 of 19, by doomer

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Command & Conquer Gold is the Windows 95 version. It has never supported IPX play in Windows XP and requires that patch in order to run properly in Windows XP and later.

Reply 8 of 19, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

"supposedly" (from another forum I'm in) it refuses to run under the 64bit Windows XP/Vista flavors... (quite likely since I assume it to be a 16bit Windows version or at least the installer is)

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 9 of 19, by franpa

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

theres nothing there oO all it is is a page with the "news" and "all news" yet there is no text in tho's segments of the page (the rest has loaded like the background picture, the EA toolbar at the top etc.)
-----
well, thats what i was going to post, but yea, now it loaded fine and dandy 😁

AMD Ryzen 3700X | ASUS Crosshair Hero VIII (WiFi) | 16GB DDR4 3600MHz RAM | MSI Geforce 1070Ti 8GB | Windows 10 Pro x64.

my website

Reply 12 of 19, by doomer

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Miki Maus wrote:

You really don't know? 😳

There you go: 😎
How to play Command & Conquer 95 online

Looks like a nice guide. Unfortunately, it does not work on Vista. About LAN play you should also know that IPX/SPX is no longer supported in Vista. The protocol simply cannot be installed.

I'm glad that the game itself works though.

Reply 13 of 19, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I play the game in Qemu. Works just fine. Haven't tried networking with it but I don't see why it wouldn't work.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 14 of 19, by Freddo

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Ugh, what a dissapointment 🙁 It would have been much nicer if they included the DOS version so it was easily playable in DOSBox. There's no way to play it in DOSBox at all?

Reply 15 of 19, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The data files should be the same. All you need is the DOS executables for the game and sound and possibly the configuration file.

That's what I did to turn my Win95 ver into a "DOS" ver. (Took the DOS files from the expansion for Win95 but there was only the game executable not the config executable)

Reply 16 of 19, by njaydg

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I like your way of thinking DosFreak! 😎

Had the same doubt as Freddo, but the "conversion" you did probably runs like the ol' DOS game. Did you play it in DOSBox a little bit? How are the videos/sounds doing?

Reply 17 of 19, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Freddo wrote:

Ugh, what a dissapointment 🙁 It would have been much nicer if they included the DOS version so it was easily playable in DOSBox.

They can't, because the DOS version was distributed by Virgin. Virgin's logo shows up in the intro. EA doesn't want to see that. The MOVIES.MIX on the Windows version also has the virgin logo, though the binary only plays one frame from that movie only showing Westwood.

DosFreak wrote:

The data files should be the same. All you need is the DOS executables for the game and sound and possibly the configuration file.

You'll need more than that. You'll also need GENERAL.MIX and other mix files from the DOS release as well.

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 18 of 19, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Hmm, those may have been included with the expansion which is why I didn't need them. I'll have to see if I saved any notes when I did it.

Reply 19 of 19, by doomer

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Yay, I got it working online. I even played two games 😀 Won the first and lost the second. I am really happy. 😁

So here how I got it working under Vista.

First you will need this guide

http://strike-team.net/nuke/html/modules.php? … =article&sid=82

Read the instructions and get the thipx32.dll from the link there and put it in your c&c95 directory.

Then go here:
http://forums.ea.com/mboards/thread.jspa?thre … 247656&tstart=0

There's a vista online section with help there. Basically you need to download these two files:

http://frankaz.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/cncfilez/wwshrd.reg and
http://frankaz.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/cncfilez/Internet.zip

Then unpack internet.zip in a directory, you can make an internet folder inside your c&c95 dir. Then you need to edit wwshrd.reg and fix the entries there that should point to your files in the internet folder, and then import it in your registry. You also need to get this http://xwis.net/downloads/Westwood_Chat-4.221.exe and install it. Also don't run it in administrative mode. Don't run c&c95.exe in administrative mode either. C&c95.exe just needs its compatiblity set to Windows 95, and visual themes, desktop composition, and high dpi scaling disabled. Wchat.exe does not need any additional configuration.

From then on you can follow the strike team guide, it explains how to register a username and play the game.That's about it. Once again please remember that this is a Vista guide for making c&c95 run online. I got it running by trial and error and with the help of those two sites. If you are running XP or older you probably just need the strike-team link which Miki Maus kindly provided.