VOGONS

First post, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

http://arstechnica.com/journals/hardware.ars/ … in-vista-driver

After nearly two years of outright lying about Vista compatibility, Creative has finally released official X-Fi drivers that add […]
Show full quote

After nearly two years of outright lying about Vista compatibility, Creative has finally released official X-Fi drivers that add support for Dolby Digital and DTS decoding in Microsoft's newest operating system. Originally, Creative claimed that fundamental changes to the Windows sound driver model made it impossible for the company to offer certain features that were available under XP, including Dolby Digital and DTS decoding. Creative's user community wasn't happy with that answer, however, and various driver modding projects began, including one by infamous modder Daniel_K.

Daniel_K managed to restore the aforementioned capabilities to both Audigy 2 and X-Fi cards, which is when Creative stepped in early last spring, and ordered him to cease and desist from his activities. This went over extremely poorly with Creative's customers, who were of the opinion that Daniel and those like him were actually fixing broken software Creative refused to patch, in the hopes of forcing users to buy a new sound card. Creative held its stance for several days before backing down, but the damage appears to have been done—Daniel_K's software is still readily available, but the modder himself has vanished from the scene.

Creative's new drivers offer official support for what was once an unofficial hack. Creative's new driver set doesn't exactly come with a signed apology stating that the company is sorry for lying to customers about the possibility of Dolby Digital/DTS support for nearly two years, but hopefully the company is on its way to realizing that its current business model is fundamentally broken. Integrated audio isn't getting any worse, and Creative can't afford to keep handing its few remaining loyalists reason to leave.
Edit: I erroneously implied that this type of driver had only been released for the X-Fi. Creative released a similar driver for the Audigy 2 ZS a couple weeks ago.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 1 of 3, by DOS_Boy

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Ok, so maybe, with some luck, we'll see descent Linux drivers for the X-fi cards in the next 4 years or so... 😜

"But listen to me brother, you just keep on walking, 'cause you and me and sister ain't got nothing to hide..." - Scatman John

Reply 2 of 3, by franpa

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

there sound cards suck, the next one I'm getting will most likely be an auzentech. Just gotta browse there forums (if they have any) and compare how much negativity is there.

Creatives cards suck and there forums are flooded with new negativity every day. there cards also come with only 1 year warranty unless you pay an extra 25$ to extend it to a total of 3 years.... all other parts of my computer came with 5 or more years protection as standard.

AMD Ryzen 3700X | ASUS Crosshair Hero VIII (WiFi) | 16GB DDR4 3600MHz RAM | MSI Geforce 1070Ti 8GB | Windows 10 Pro x64.

my website

Reply 3 of 3, by dh4rm4

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

5 years is not realistic franpa. Most components are given a standard 3 year manufacturer warranty as all electronic technology depreciates to nil wihin a maximum of three years for tax purposes. All of that said, I totally agree on your opinion of Creative. What I find most annoying about their policy is that they obselete their products in an accelerated fashion without care or consideration to the customers who purchase them. This is really insulting because it was their loyal customer base which allowed Creative to weather the storm of competition from so many other competitive products (most used better components) during the 90s.