Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

http://boxer.washboardabs.net/

WHAT’S NEW Version 0.86 beta: […]
Show full quote

WHAT’S NEW
Version 0.86 beta:

• Better importing of game folders from Good Old Games and Steam: file paths and CD images should go to the right places now.
  • Auto-detected game settings are now applied along with a gamebox's saved settings: this lets new compatibility fixes work for existing gameboxes.
  • Added Boxer shortcut keys for taking screenshots (Cmd-S) and recording movies (Cmd-Opt-S).
  • Prettier, friendlier, more helpful messages for all DOS commands.
  • Removed unmaintained DOSBox-only localisations (Czech, Danish, French etc.) as these no longer match Boxe's DOS behaviour.
  • Fix for Fallout map-change freeze.
  • New disk image icon for beta versions.

REQUIREMENTS
Mac OS X 10.4.7 or later.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 1 of 11, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

I like this blurp on the Boxer home page:

Boxer home page wrote:

NOTHING TO SEE HERE.

Boxer has no esoteric configuration panels to pore through, no big fat library interface squatting between you and your fun. It’s the unobtrusive DOS butler that configures and launches your games as discreetly as possible. So here’s some screenshots of them instead.

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions

Reply 3 of 11, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

17MB looks like a big fat library anyway though

That's a "problem" I noticed with a lot of programs on OS X, just look at Dosbox itself, the OS X download is 4.8MB, the Windows Installer is 1.4MB big (the Dosbox app itself is 14.4MB big on OS X) . With my now 4 Weeks OS X experience I *think* this is due to most programs being universal programs, so binaries for both intel and ppc platform and when you rely on many libraries that are not in OS X default installations, you have to build and include static libraries in the programs (and again universal). So 17MB is not THAT big for OS X stuff 😀

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 4 of 11, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

I assume there are tools on Mac OS X to strip out unwanted code??

Reply 5 of 11, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

not really, since, again afaict, the static libs are normally compiled into the binary.
Rhoenie the OS X maintainer could probably tell you more

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 7 of 11, by rcblanke

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Wonder what will happen when both 32 and 64bit versions are packaged in the universal binary 😀

What I find strange is that Boxer apparently comes with the full version of Commander Keen 4, which AFAIK is not freeware?!

Reply 8 of 11, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

Full? There is a shareware version: ftp://ftp.3drealms.com/share/4keen.zip

Reply 9 of 11, by Vigil

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Unfortunately MacUpdate picked up that 0.86 beta without my input or me actually wanting them to, grr - it wasn't intended as an official release and hasn't been fully localised or tested. That's also why the what's-new changelog is ridiculously brief (it's the changelog since the beta 5 days before it), and doesn't include more important info like it being updated to use DOSBox 0.73. But, no sense closing the stable door now I suppose.

The reason it's 17MB (rather than 4.4MB) isn't because of universal binaries but because the default install includes the shareware episode of Commander Keen 4 and demos of Epic Pinball, X-COM and Ultima Underworld, each of which also have 512x512 cover art. (and yes, they're all shareware/freeware.)

Some will call it bloat, but the sample games have proven to be a very popular addition to the package and help first-time users get a good idea of how Boxer gameboxes work. I'm planning to push automatic application updates without the sample games though to save space. Users can delete the games afterwards if they wish, of course.

Reply 11 of 11, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank
rcblanke wrote:

Thanks for clearing this up Vigil. Great work, great tool, great site!

Seconded! I enjoyed reading the blog with the narrative about how the "Make fake CD" dialog box came to be.