VOGONS

First post, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

http://www.ngohq.com/news/16265-sapphire-laun … d-4650-agp.html

Delivering breakthrough performance and enhanced capability to users of computers with AGP based graphics, Sapphire Technology h […]
Show full quote

Delivering breakthrough performance and enhanced capability to users of computers with AGP based graphics, Sapphire Technology has just introduced the HD 4650 AGP.

The Sapphire HD 4650 AGP brings the features of the highly acclaimed HD 4000 series to the users of older PC systems with the AGP graphics bus. In addition to dramatically increased graphics performance, this means support for all the latest generation of games with DirectX 10.1 and the ability to smoothly play HD and Blu-Ray DVD’s with the built-in hardware UVD decoder. It also allows users to accelerate tasks such as video transcoding (converting video formats to play on portable devices) and other new applications supporting ATI Stream technology.

With its 320 Stream processors, 128-bit memory interface and 1GB of on-board memory, the Sapphire HD 4650 AGP brings the power of the latest graphics architectures to the AGP bus. This new card supports 24x custom filter anti-aliasing (CFAA) and high performance anisotropic filtering. Connected via the standard AGP bus with support for AGP 8x/4x, the Sapphire HD 4650 brings exciting new levels of performance and image quality.

The board has 2 DVI connectors and TV-out and is supplied with a variety of connectors to simplify use with any type of monitor. Display on an HDMI device such as flat screen TV is also supported with a dongle supplied, but due to limitations of the AGP bus, audio over HDMI is not supported. Supplementary power is required via a standard 6-pin connector and a 4-pin molex to 6-pin adapter cable is provided for users who do not have this type of connector on their system PSU.

All Sapphire graphics cards in the HD 4000 series incorporate the latest ATI Avivo HD Technology for enhanced Video display and feature a new generation built in hardware UVD (Unified Video decoder) considerably reducing CPU load and delivering smooth decoding of Blu-ray and HD DVD content for both VC-1 and H.264 codecs, as well as Mpeg files.

Sapphire HD 4000 series graphics cards are Microsoft Windows Vista Premium certified and supported by the ATI Catalyst suite of software, ensuring customers have ongoing access to software updates for performance, stability and added features. These cards support DirectX 10.1 for enhanced rendering performance and lighting effects. With the latest drivers, the Sapphire HD 4000 series also offers ATI Stream processing for the acceleration of video transcoding and other supported applications.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 1 of 17, by temptingthelure

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Like all AGP cards released nowadays, this one will have an extra premium added to its price for being AGP, which sucks.

Rise of the Triad modding site!
http://rott.s4.bizhat.com

Reply 2 of 17, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

And probably have loads of driver issues. There have been serious problems with ATI's other recent PCIe-to-AGP bridged cards... They have had special driver builds (aka hotfixes) just for them. Ugly stuff.

Actually this flaky AGP thing has been going on for years, through many card generations. I had an AGP-bridged X800XL for a while years ago. They actually broke AGP support in their Catalyst releases for like 5 months, I remember.

It is definitely time to move on to PCIe instead of playing with these cards.

Reply 3 of 17, by Kiwi

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Actually, AFAIK, Newegg has been selling HD 4650 AGPs for a couple of weeks or more. The announcement they were coming goes back maybe 3-4 months, though, so they certainly weren't in a hurry!

TTBOMK, the price premium is only truly justified in the case of the motherboards, for which AGP actually is a great deal more complicated and expensive to implement (than ISA, PCI, or PCI-e), which is why Dell, HP, and Sony made it a habit to omit it entirely from their cheapest PCs.

Regarding the comment about the X800 XL, it has always been my own understanding that neither the AGP nor the PCI-e versions were directly related at the circuit board level. I thought that they were supposed to have been designed separately. The low end X** cards were remakes of the prior year's Radeon 9600s, but once again, I understood that they were fully re-engineered, not merely equipped with a bridging chip, like nVIDIA's PCX versions of the horrible FXes.

Kiwi

Reply 4 of 17, by temptingthelure

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I dont know who to believe when it comes to problems, or lack of them, when running this "new" ATI 2000, 3000 and now 4000 cards. Some write in their reviews that they are a scam, that the hotfix drivers dont work and they have nothing but problems. Others write that the cards work amazing, and they havent run into any problems with their cards. I have an old computer P4 3GHZ HT with a d865perl intel board, which I would like to get an AGP card for, but I dont want to spend on these cards and find that they dont work.

Rise of the Triad modding site!
http://rott.s4.bizhat.com

Reply 5 of 17, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I bought a 3850 awhile back for my brothers A7N8X motherboard. It previously had an X800 from 2002 in there. Seems to work fine, it can even play Crysis at low resolutions fairly decently whereass with the X800 I think it could get like 2-3fps. 😀

but yeah it's way past time to move on. I just had to put a new video card in there to extend it's life a bit more.

Reply 6 of 17, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Kiwi wrote:

Regarding the comment about the X800 XL, it has always been my own understanding that neither the AGP nor the PCI-e versions were directly related at the circuit board level. I thought that they were supposed to have been designed separately.

The X generation was the one where ATI first went PCIe. The original X800s (R420/R423) are purely AGP chips. However, R430 and R480 are pure PCIe. R430 is what the X800XL cards used usually (some were a crippled R480). To make an AGP X800XL, they had to use a PCIe->AGP bridge chip called RIALTO and that is what they are still using today I believe. You can see that chip on the boards, on the backside. Apparently using a bridge chip is not a transparent affair because it has absolutely caused lots of problems.

Reply 7 of 17, by eL_PuSHeR

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Let's face the fact: PCIe is a lot better than AGP. AGP is dead.

Remember all problems with "agp settings in bios". That's because AGP was some sort of PCI bus patch rather than a real bus altogether.

Intel i7 5960X
Gigabye GA-X99-Gaming 5
8 GB DDR4 (2100)
8 GB GeForce GTX 1070 G1 Gaming (Gigabyte)

Reply 8 of 17, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
temptingthelure wrote:

I dont know who to believe when it comes to problems, or lack of them, when running this "new" ATI 2000, 3000 and now 4000 cards.

From what I've gathered over the years, it is a problem that is also affected by mobo chipset. I haven't personally used anything with a PCIe->AGP bridge since the X800XL that I had. I used it with a VIA K8T800-based mobo. Like I said there was a period of about 5 months (5 Catalyst releases or so) where the drivers wouldn't work in D3D at all. It was back during the Catalyst 7.x era. I think people on some other chipsets were ok, but I had to stick with old drivers and then it worked perfectly fine.

A web search for ATI AGP problems will find you lots of tales.. 😀 Their purely AGP cards are completely fine. It's just the bridged things that are problematic.

Reply 9 of 17, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
eL_PuSHeR wrote:

Let's face the fact: PCIe is a lot better than AGP. AGP is dead.

Remember all problems with "agp settings in bios". That's because AGP was some sort of PCI bus patch rather than a real bus altogether.

PCIe had better be better cuz it's TEH NEWERER!!!! 😀

Really though, AGP was perfectly fine once we got into the AGP 4x age. Early on it sucked a lot for many reasons.

Reply 10 of 17, by temptingthelure

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
swaaye wrote:
temptingthelure wrote:

I dont know who to believe when it comes to problems, or lack of them, when running this "new" ATI 2000, 3000 and now 4000 cards.

From what I've gathered over the years, it is a problem that is also affected by mobo chipset. I haven't personally used anything with a PCIe->AGP bridge since the X800XL that I had. I used it with a VIA K8T800-based mobo. Like I said there was a period of about 5 months (5 Catalyst releases or so) where the drivers wouldn't work in D3D at all. It was back during the Catalyst 7.x era. I think people on some other chipsets were ok, but I had to stick with old drivers and then it worked perfectly fine.

A web search for ATI AGP problems will find you lots of tales.. 😀 Their purely AGP cards are completely fine. It's just the bridged things that are problematic.

Yeah, i was talking about the new AGP cards that use the bridge thing. So i suppose it's pure luck depending on whether you have a board that plays nice with it. I suppose the one i had, this 865 intel board, didnt play nice with the 6800XT card i bought for it. It wouldnt show any signals or post at all. I dont know if that card was already a bridged one. An older 6200 works fine. That board is 3.3v, meets all the requirements for the 6800 card, why it wouldnt work is still a mystery to me. And i dont want to spend in a new bridged card and find out it doesnt work either. Maybe i should just get a whole new pc here. But that's more expensive. 🤣

Reply 12 of 17, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I don't get the point of buying a current generation AGP card when any system wiith an AGP slot is likely to be more CPU limited than GPU limited anyways.

Edit: Also, for those who don't want to read the article, it says the card should sell for $75.

Reply 14 of 17, by cdoublejj

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

ooh for that much i'll get one, i'm sure i can find a good machine with agp to put it in i think i have p4 system that has agp wich i've been neglecting.

Reply 15 of 17, by BigBodZod

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Here's an interesting article on getting what is left on your older AGP rig from Toms Hardware Guide.

Also another article on this same Radeon AGP GPU.

No matter where you go, there you are...

Reply 16 of 17, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I do agree that the 3850 is a good card. That Athlon XP I threw it in loves it.