Ancient DOS Games Webshow

Topic actions

Reply 181 of 3354, by Gemini000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
SKARDAVNELNATE wrote:

So the filler episode will be about the NES. How does that fit into DOS?

It doesn't. :P

I never actually intended for my filler episodes to focus solely on DOS stuff, but rather, anything about classic gaming, even if it's only minorly related. My plan was to use my filler episodes to talk about things I couldn't really fit into the ADG episodes themselves, or just to do something fun because I could. ;)

--- Kris Asick (Gemini)
--- Pixelmusement Website: www.pixelships.com
--- Ancient DOS Games Webshow: www.pixelships.com/adg

Reply 182 of 3354, by lazygamereviews

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Greetings!

I just saw your SimCity review and a few others, and I've gotta say it's a breath of fresh air to see someone else actually giving DOS games the attention they deserve! Excellent work, very professionally-done and I appreciate the depth and neutral take you provide.

I've been reviewing mainly MS-DOS games, using somewhat of a less serious tone, since 2009 on YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/user/phreakindee) and have just started expanding to other sites like blip. I've given your show a shout-out on my Twitter page and am sending links to several people I know that will enjoy it. Since I imagine we have somewhat of a similar audience I hope that some of my viewers will take a liking to your show as well.

Anyways, thanks very much for doing the videos and consider yourself having gained another big fan!

-Clint / phreakindee

https://www.youtube.com/lazygamereviews

Reply 183 of 3354, by Gemini000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
lazygamereviews wrote:
Greetings! […]
Show full quote

Greetings!

I just saw your SimCity review and a few others, and I've gotta say it's a breath of fresh air to see someone else actually giving DOS games the attention they deserve! Excellent work, very professionally-done and I appreciate the depth and neutral take you provide.

I've been reviewing mainly MS-DOS games, using somewhat of a less serious tone, since 2009 on YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/user/phreakindee) and have just started expanding to other sites like blip. I've given your show a shout-out on my Twitter page and am sending links to several people I know that will enjoy it. Since I imagine we have somewhat of a similar audience I hope that some of my viewers will take a liking to your show as well.

Anyways, thanks very much for doing the videos and consider yourself having gained another big fan!

-Clint / phreakindee

Now THIS is interesting... because I actually know who you are! ...I just haven't gotten around to checking out your videos yet. ^_^;

But now that I've got your attention, and you registered here on VOGONS just to let me know you were helping to get the word out about me, I feel I should return the favour. I've got my next filler episode coming up next Saturday, so it's the perfect time to give a shout out to a fellow reviewer. I'll be sure to check your stuff out by next Saturday and give a quick plug for you in the filler episode I've got planned! ;)

--- Kris Asick (Gemini)

Reply 184 of 3354, by F2bnp

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
lazygamereviews wrote:
Greetings! […]
Show full quote

Greetings!

-Clint / phreakindee

Whoa, LGR is here too? Vogons, connecting people! 😜

Clint your videos are seriously awesome! Have fun here in Vogons!

And also another great review by Gemini.

Reply 185 of 3354, by retro games 100

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
F2bnp wrote:

Agreed! 😀 I'd really like to see LGR doing some overclocking experiments on old PC hardware. And/Or, an old PC hardware "complete build" project.

Reply 186 of 3354, by lazygamereviews

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
F2bnp wrote:

Thanks, I'm sure I will!

I actually can't believe I didn't have a Vogons account until now. I use the site all the time in research for my show (have mentioned it several times in the show) and just general farting around. Love this place.

Reply 188 of 3354, by lazygamereviews

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Gemini000 wrote:

Now THIS is interesting... because I actually know who you are! ...I just haven't gotten around to checking out your videos yet. 😄

Hehe, awesome, I hope you enjoy them! Have one on the topic of Silpheed coming this Saturday that should be pretty fun.

Also mentioned you in my latest blog post, passing your way as many people as I can. The more I watch, the more I'm enjoying. Really liked the attention you gave Mega Man. For such a sub-par game, I wasn't expecting that kind of detail!

Looking forward to the next "filler" episode, which I'd guess pertains to NES10 chip disabling and/or using a Game Genie to play uncooperative games.

Last edited by lazygamereviews on 2011-02-14, 22:48. Edited 2 times in total.

Reply 189 of 3354, by WolverineDK

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

LGR: I think the reason why Gemini000, gave it so much detail. Is because not everybody can be an AVGN, or an HVGN or a Yakumo-sama who used to make a show named Retrocore, which now a days only comes once or twice a year, because he has work and what not to do .
Yakumo-sama is not his name or nickname, but his nickname plus the honourable prefix . Which is sama in this case. And he resides some where else on the internet. But he used to have in his shows, a category named "Shite Of The Month". Where the games he reviewed in that category were utter shite. And you had to be a masochist to play those games, or have an obsession about trying shitty games out, like AVGN is mostly doing.

Reply 190 of 3354, by Gemini000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
WolverineDK wrote:

I think the reason why Gemini000, gave it so much detail. Is because not everybody can be an AVGN, or an HVGN or a Yakumo-sama who used to make a show named Retrocore, which now a days only comes once or twice a year, because he has work and what not to do .
Yakumo-sama is not his name or nickname, but his nickname plus the honourable prefix . Which is sama in this case. And he resides some where else on the internet. But he used to have in his shows, a category named "Shite Of The Month". Where the games he reviewed in that category were utter shite. And you had to be a masochist to play those games, or have an obsession about trying shitty games out, like AVGN is mostly doing.

Actually, it's difficult for me to describe why I take the approach I do with ADG. It's primarily been a learning experience for me. Learning how to script myself so that I don't sound scripted, learning how to edit footage together so that it's consistent and flows, learning how to clean the audio up so that it doesn't have that staticy, echoness that pervades a lot of amateur videos, I also learned to up the bass because my voice is very low pitched and sounds better with enhanced bass. ;)

I realized the best thing I could do was to be myself, and myself is a game designer/programmer who's method of thinking is informational first and sarcastic second, so I do my reviews that same way, talking about all the little technical details while cracking jokes when I notice tiny little details that are funny in various contexts, while avoiding stereotypical things like calling a game a magical golden egg laid by a heavenly angel goose, or a giant POS muckspread by a satanic devil hippo... with fangs... and a pitchfork. >_>;

My first attempt at ADG three years ago was terrible. I've since removed the two episodes I made from the internet and I don't think anyone's got them archived since practically no one watched them. Now, I've got a good handle on where I'm going with ADG and as long as people are interested in seeing more episodes, there will be more episodes.

As for Lazy Game Reviews, I didn't actually know about it at all until a friend of mine pointed it out around my 15th or 16th episode of ADG, and even then I was having trouble finding the time to watch any LGR. (At the moment though, I'm only 40 episodes short of having watched them all! I'm having an LGR marathon so I can mention my favourite episodes in the filler on Saturday.)

I guess what I'm trying to say is I don't want to be the next AVGN or NC or ZP or whoever. They're all good, but I want to be ADG, regardless of if I have hundreds or millions of viewers. ;)

lazygamereviews wrote:

Also mentioned you in my latest blog post, passing your way as many people as I can. The more I watch, the more I'm enjoying. Really liked the attention you gave Mega Man. For such a sub-par game, I wasn't expecting that kind of detail!

Thanks for all the word spreading you're doing. You have no idea how much it means to me! :D

lazygamereviews wrote:

Looking forward to the next "filler" episode, which I'd guess pertains to NES10 chip disabling and/or using a Game Genie to play uncooperative games.

Close! You'll see soon enough. ;)

--- Kris Asick (Gemini)

Reply 191 of 3354, by FooAtari

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Just came to post in this thread to mention how much I enjoy your webshow Gemini. Excellent and thorough reviews. Perfect completement to LGR 😀 Hope you make them for a long time to come.

Reply 192 of 3354, by lazygamereviews

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Just saw the NES "Wiggle" video show up on blip as I was watching your other episodes, awesome stuff yet again. Thank you kindly for the shout-out! Hehe, I was hoping you'd enjoy the Top 17 Worst Games, after seeing several of those reviewed by you.

Reply 193 of 3354, by Gemini000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
lazygamereviews wrote:

Just saw the NES "Wiggle" video show up on blip as I was watching your other episodes, awesome stuff yet again. Thank you kindly for the shout-out! Hehe, I was hoping you'd enjoy the Top 17 Worst Games, after seeing several of those reviewed by you.

Yup. I'm actually enjoying most of them, but that one I got the most laughs out of, especially when you got to #1. I'm also cursing you for your Minecraft videos because up to that point, I was avoiding the game, now I'm waiting extremely impatiently for a PayPal transfer to clear so I can get it. It's kinda bittersweet that it exists though since it's so very similar to one of my own game ideas, yet someone else managed to do it first and get millions of sales in the process.

Ah well.

And yes, Ancient DOS Games Filler #5 - The NES Wiggle Trick is online!

Apologies for the lousy quality of the live video. A single 60w light in a large room at night does not make for good lighting. I have very little lighting experience so I have to learn how to do better. Hopefully the special effects make up for it. ;)

And no, the part with the NES glitching on unexpectedly was not scripted. In fact, it happened on the very first take, and then again on the fourth. Ultimately I used the fourth take but many more things happened too and I have more than enough material to do a bloopers video. If anyone wants to see me humiliate myself even worse, let me know! ;D

--- Kris Asick (Gemini)

Reply 195 of 3354, by WolverineDK

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Great episode.

Gemini000: I love your hair, cause I thought I was the only geek/nerd with a "heavy hairdo" . And I am planning on getting it even longer, so I can call it "Swedish Yarn" again , meaning the old heavy hairdo was the long haired hairdo. Also The Swedish Yarn reference is an "old" Danish expression when the band Europe became popular with the song The Final Countdown.

Reply 196 of 3354, by Gemini000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
WolverineDK wrote:

Gemini000: I love your hair, cause I thought I was the only geek/nerd with a "heavy hairdo" . And I am planning on getting it even longer, so I can call it "Swedish Yarn" again , meaning the old heavy hairdo was the long haired hairdo. Also The Swedish Yarn reference is an "old" Danish expression when the band Europe became popular with the song The Final Countdown.

I prefer my hair short or long. I hate it when it's middle-length. :P

--- Kris Asick (Gemini)

Reply 198 of 3354, by Gemini000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Ancient DOS Games Episode 36 - Tank Wars is online!

A lot of new people guessed today's episode correctly. I'll take that as a good sign that more people are watching the show! :)

The first time I played Scorched Earth, I hated it. I couldn't tell what I was doing because the tanks were so tiny, the shots were so fast (this was on someone else's computer just to note), and the sound effects were abnoxious. Then, a little later on when I first played Tank Wars, I found it awesome. Eventually I gave Scorched Earth another go and realized it wasn't actually as bad as I thought it was, but I still prefer Tank Wars because rounds in Scorched Earth can last MUCH longer, especially in the new 3D variation, thanks mostly to shields.

Then again, it's sooooooooooo incredibly aggrivating when you buy a Repulser and die from the very first shot in the next round... >:|

Also, for those who want to watch me embarrass myself, I also uploaded some Filler #5 Bloopers! ;D

--- Kris Asick (Gemini)

Reply 199 of 3354, by shock__

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Ooooh Tank Wars 😁
I usually use that for basic hardware testing on pre-486 machines (as I did last week with the old ass laptop I pulled out of the junk). Quite a cool game.