Ancient DOS Games Webshow

Topic actions

Reply 360 of 3347, by VileR

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
leileilol wrote:

Doom II had that same problem since "imp encounter", as if notorious pwads TOONDOOM.WAD and FURRYSEX.WAD wasn't enough for it, it just had its fanbase permanently vindicated with fur.

yeah, this shit has definitely gone too far. Even cult classics like Star Control II have been infected - the awesome factor of SC2 being re-released for free was marred only by its discovery by the dreaded 16 Year Old Weeaboo [*insert Encyclopedia Dramatica links of your choice*], whereupon fan sites began to see a worrying increase in less-than-wholesome interpretations of "inter-species relations" with the green, squid-like VUX.

[ WEB ] - [ BLOG ] - [ TUBE ] - [ CODE ]

Reply 362 of 3347, by The Gecko

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

No. Just no.
Nobody ruins my Star Control 2. Star Control 2 is pristine, pure, sacrosanct.

(Although I'm pretty sure Admiral ZEX was a little... different)

If all else fails, use fire.

Reply 363 of 3347, by Gemini000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Ancient DOS Games Filler #8 - VVVVVV is online!

Really, is anyone surprised? ;D

I figured since VVVVVV was recently updated to include a level editor, and since that feature alone just made the game about a zillion times better, and since I made my own custom level for it, and because the game is relevant as far as retro gaming is concerned (even though it's a modern game), I should take a quick look at it just to make people aware of it if they weren't already. ;)

--- Kris Asick (Gemini)
--- Pixelmusement Website: www.pixelships.com
--- Ancient DOS Games Webshow: www.pixelships.com/adg

Reply 364 of 3347, by WolverineDK

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Gemini000: C64 letter V 6 times ? You could also have called it an insane (but nice chiptunes) C64 inspired "I Wanna The Guy" clone. Cause that is what it is more like, than really a hard retro game. Cause I have played quite a few real retro games, and not many of them were as hard, as IWBTG or this game. But great episode Sir 😀

Reply 365 of 3347, by 5u3

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Nice episode, as always 😉

And thanks for showing the solution how to get the energy core in your "The Things we Die For" screen. I have to admit I was a bit stuck there, despite the hints scattered around 😅

Reply 366 of 3347, by cdoublejj

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

You actually do a pretty decent job with good production value for the most part. it's not just some kid with a mic and fraps it's ADG.

EDIT: i don't know if you take suggestions or not but, if you do could you review street rod 1 and 2. they are pretty old classics and still have small following. ATM I'm helping out with an open source sequel to these games and though it might cooling to see you review the first two dos games.

Reply 367 of 3347, by Gemini000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
cdoublejj wrote:

You actually do a pretty decent job with good production value for the most part. it's not just some kid with a mic and fraps it's ADG.

I don't even have Fraps. XD

cdoublejj wrote:

EDIT: i don't know if you take suggestions or not but, if you do could you review street rod 1 and 2. they are pretty old classics and still have small following. ATM I'm helping out with an open source sequel to these games and though it might cooling to see you review the first two dos games.

I'll add them to my requests list, and I noticed too that the Street Rod 3 website has free downloads of these games (although the links are mangled) but, I can't find any information on whether those downloads are legal or not. Perhaps you'd care to enlighten me on the current distribution status of the first two games.

--- Kris Asick (Gemini)

Reply 368 of 3347, by The Gecko

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hmm, I remember when I was much younger, and going to a summer programming camp at the local university (nerd alert!), there were all sorts of games that the students (and other camp attendees) had left on the network drives. Ah, the halcyon days of computer science, back when it was still a wild, untamed wilderness.

Anyway, there was a bunch of gold there. I distinctly recall my first 4X game - Armada 2525. But more to the point, they had Street Rod 2 on there. It was pretty popular, but not so much my thing.

If all else fails, use fire.

Reply 369 of 3347, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Gemini000 wrote:
I don't even have Fraps. XD […]
Show full quote
cdoublejj wrote:

I don't even have Fraps. 🤣

cdoublejj wrote:

I'll add them to my requests list, and I noticed too that the Street Rod 3 website has free downloads of these games (although the links are mangled) but, I can't find any information on whether those downloads are legal or not. Perhaps you'd care to enlighten me on the current distribution status of the first two games.

People who record with FRAPS are idiots, anyway. The record feature of FRAPS destroys your framerates so it defeats the purpose of having FRAPS in the first place, which is to see exactly how fast (or slow) your games are running. It's better to use FRAPS for displaying the framerate and some less taxing method of recording the output so your framerates don't fall off a cliff.

Reply 370 of 3347, by cdoublejj

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

well i meant that as compliment "It's not just some kid with a mic and fraps" of you look at you tube it's full of that stuff. SR1 and 2 are abandon ware the company and i believe the publisher went out of business a long time ago.

SR 1 and 2 should be too hard to find seeing as they are abandon ware as for the broken links i'm trying to get a new site going but, i'm not an experienced coder.

Reply 371 of 3347, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
sliderider wrote:

People who record with FRAPS are idiots, anyway. The record feature of FRAPS destroys your framerates so it defeats the purpose of having FRAPS in the first place, which is to see exactly how fast (or slow) your games are running.

Use a multicore CPU and a well defragmented second physical hard drive.

It doesn't stop the 'idiot' problem though. I'm an idiot 🙁

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 372 of 3347, by Gemini000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
cdoublejj wrote:

SR1 and 2 are abandon ware the company and i believe the publisher went out of business a long time ago.

"Abandonware" is a highly ambiguous and debatable term and one I refuse to use on my show. I need more evidence than just having a couple random places hosting a download to figure out its true licensing state.

These games look interesting though so I'll definitely try to figure it out.

--- Kris Asick (Gemini)

Reply 373 of 3347, by Gemini000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Ancient DOS Games Episode 56 - Abuse is online!

I don't think I've ever come across a game with such a bizarre legal status before. I'm not even 100% sure I demystified it correctly. x_x;

In any case, this game has always been a curiosity to me, since a lot of people SAY they like it, but few people actually sit down and play this game for any length of time. That's another thing I've hopefully demystified through the course of the episode. ;)

--- Kris Asick (Gemini)

Reply 376 of 3347, by Gemini000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
SKARDAVNELNATE wrote:

When looking for this game is there any way to tell which version (Ants or Prisoners) it might be?

Not sure about other parts of the world, but in North America, just look to see if it was published by Origin Systems or not. If it was, it'll be the version with multiplayer support and the 2009 prison storyline.

Not sure why you would want the older version though, unless it's just for the sake of collecting.

--- Kris Asick (Gemini)

Reply 377 of 3347, by SKARDAVNELNATE

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yep, I like to have both versions in my collection.

Sometimes it's a difference between 3.5" and CD. Other times it's the same game under 2 different titles. For Master of Orion 2 the DOS and Windows 98 versions were separate though both listed Windows 95 compatibility.

The trouble with finding Abuse is most sellers don't give enough information to distinguish the two versions. Several times going through Amazon or Ebay I didn't know if I was ordering the CD or floppy version of a game. When looking for Isle of The Dead one seller sent me a shareware compilation disc with it featured on the insert instead of the actual game.

I wound up with 3 copies of Darkseed 2 because of seller ineptitude. The first one I bought was for Macintosh. The second turned out to be a Butterfly Media disc with an internet rip and a bunch of other pirated games.

Finding a seller that knows who published their copy of a game is an astounding task given previous experiences.

Reply 378 of 3347, by Gemini000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

http://www.mobygames.com/game/dos/abuse/cover … meCoverId,7465/

I just took a look on Mobygames and it seems THIS is actually what the box of the original version looked like before Origin picked it up, but since it was only sold directly I seriously doubt you're going to easily find a copy.

--- Kris Asick (Gemini)

Reply 379 of 3347, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Gemini000 wrote:

I don't think I've ever come across a game with such a bizarre legal status before. I'm not even 100% sure I demystified it correctly. x_x;

Only the shareware demo data is released under the public domain, however this excludes the sounds, so only abuse shareware levels, source code and abuse graphics were made under the public domain.

apsosig.png
long live PCem