Topic actions

Reply 460 of 3355, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Cool, I made the credits 😀

Comments:
- The MT-32 soundtrack isn't dramatically better than the Adlib one, which I think is more a compliment to the quality of the latter than it is an insult to the former. Also, I'm shocked that Gemini doesn't have a real MT-32.
- I like 2D shooters a lot, but I'm not very good at them (the Japanese ones tend to kick my ass). This is one of the few I've beaten (at least the shareware version), probably due to a combination of the shield system and the short length.
- "I don't have much to say about X" (usually the gameplay) is a phrase that seems to appear in almost every episode of ADG, at least recently 😜
- What did other people guess wrong for this game that allowed me to make the credits?

Last edited by HunterZ on 2011-10-08, 16:32. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 461 of 3355, by Gemini000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Believe it or not, 90% of my computing equipment is hand-me-down stuff from my parents, since both of them liked to keep up to date with computing stuff for different reasons. (Heck, thanks to Mom's efforts, I was able to use the internet back when it was still relatively new! ...not that there was much of interest way back then, but it didn't take long for gaming sites to pop up.)

Since my first system was a Tandy 1000 SX, and my next two were both equipped with Sound Blaster Pro cards, I never needed an MT-32, nor did my parents, and thus I don't have one. :P

And yeah, once I stop picking the short, featureless games, you'll stop hearing that "don't have much to say" line. ^_^;

Wrong guesses this time around were all other old Epic titles like Kiloblaster and Jill of The Jungle.

--- Kris Asick (Gemini)
--- Pixelmusement Website: www.pixelships.com
--- Ancient DOS Games Webshow: www.pixelships.com/adg

Reply 462 of 3355, by VileR

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Overkill was one of the better scrolling shooters on the PC - very clever use of the EGA/Tandy's 16 colors, really solid game mechanics and balance, and it can hold its own very nicely against the big-name console titles that were dominating the genre back then.

what's funny is that Epic's other space shooter from the same year (Kiloblaster) featured 256-color VGA graphics, digital music and SFX... only to be comprehensively horrible in all departments! Huzzah!!

[ WEB ] - [ BLOG ] - [ TUBE ] - [ CODE ]

Reply 463 of 3355, by The Gecko

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Aw, you didn't pick up on it in the review, but in addition to nicking Hoth from Star Wars, Gallifrey is the planet of the Time Lords from the Dr. Who series... which makes their little blurb "Time is running out for the inhabitants of this planet" something of a terrible, terrible pun.

If all else fails, use fire.

Reply 465 of 3355, by Gemini000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Geeze, no one's letting me live this down! ^_^;;;

I never watched Doctor Who, which is why I missed the Gallifrey reference. Now that I'm aware of this though, I'll certainly be adding information about it on the Episode 62 page of my website once I get the next episode up!

To be honest though, as crazy as the number of comments I've gotten about this is, I think it's a good sign that the ADG audience is getting bigger and wants to be sure I get as many details right as I can. :)

--- Kris Asick (Gemini)

Reply 466 of 3355, by SKARDAVNELNATE

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
The Gecko wrote:

Aw, you didn't pick up on it in the review, but in addition to nicking Hoth from Star Wars, Gallifrey is the planet of the Time Lords from the Dr. Who series... which makes their little blurb "Time is running out for the inhabitants of this planet" something of a terrible, terrible pun.

I thought about mentioning this but then I figured it couldn't be the same Gallifrey. If it were, what does that make the enemies you're fighting? I'm not much for Star Wars so the enemies could be part of the empire for all I know. But are they also being influenced by The Master?

Reply 467 of 3355, by Novus

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
leileilol wrote:

Also Overkill had a Tim Wright (not Dan Froelich or Robert Allen) soundtrack. Compare this to Lemmings (DOS) and you'll immediately notice similarities.

Tony "Tiny" Williams, actually. You're very close, though. Tiny did the music for Oh No! More Lemmings and, as far as I can tell, the DOS conversion of Tim Wright's and Brian Johnston's Lemmings music.

This is hardly surprising since Overkill wasn't an Epic game until Tech-Noir ran into problems with their original publisher.

Reply 469 of 3355, by Gemini000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Ancient DOS Games Episode 63 - Wolfenstein 3D is online! (Please note that this is a mature rated episode.)

The guesses for this episode raced in pretty quickly and for once, unless I forgot the contents of my inbox, every single guess submitted was correct! :D

But yeah, Wolfenstein 3D is a pretty huge game and I knew going into it that I was going to be making a longer episode than usual (a little over 19 minutes) so I wasn't able to really show anything from the second half of the game, the Nocturnal Missions, but I'm hoping I did justice to the rest of the game. There's also LOTS of additional information posted below the video itself so be sure to take a look. :)

To be honest though, I'm going to be really surprised if anyone guesses next week's game correctly. Since today's episode is mature-rated, here's the hint for next week's game: Taito's Arkanoid was a sort of "upgrade" to the breakout formula, adding weapons and powerups, but Taito performed this upgrade to another game too! I'm going to be covering that upgraded game.

--- Kris Asick (Gemini)

Reply 470 of 3355, by WolverineDK

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Gemini000: I call bollocks, on the mature part of things. But then again, you know my stance upon that. So let us say, I am going to enjoy this episode. And I knew I was right about what game it was 😀

Reply 471 of 3355, by WolverineDK

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Gemini000: go to the doctor about your headache , also I would love you to delve into the Spear Of Destiny and its expansion packs. If you have access to them, since I seem to remember there were a few expansion packs (Return to Danger, Ultimate Challenge) to Spear Of Destiny that were some what official if I am not mistaken.

Sorry for re-mentioning myself. But please mention, you can make your own remarks, when it comes to Scorched Earth, and not just "there are two specific text files", since you can enable the game to use your own remarks back and forth from your own created text file.

Great episode by the way 😀

Reply 472 of 3355, by SKARDAVNELNATE

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'm not sure but I think you said gestaffle once. I didn't catch any other words that you stumbled on but there was a sentence got my attention. Zombies will gun you down before your brain can comprehend what just killed you. If you're attempting to understand what killed you it will have to kill you first. That's how the past tense works.

Gestaffles sound delicious.

Reply 473 of 3355, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

How to pronounce Wolfenstein:

http://www.forvo.com/word/wolfenstein/

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 474 of 3355, by WolverineDK

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Mau1wurf1977 wrote:

That is how I pronounce it too. But then again, I have always pronounced the name that way, and still pronounce it that way.

Reply 475 of 3355, by Gemini000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
WolverineDK wrote:

go to the doctor about your headache

I took a nap after I was done the voice over and my headache was mostly gone afterwards. :)

I was really pulling things close time-wise though. If I missed doing the voice-over when I did, it would've been lower quality due to having to record when external noise levels would be higher than minimal.

WolverineDK wrote:

also I would love you to delve into the Spear Of Destiny and its expansion packs. If you have access to them, since I seem to remember there were a few expansion packs (Return to Danger, Ultimate Challenge) to Spear Of Destiny that were some what official if I am not mistaken.

Alas, I don't have Spear of Destiny, so I can't do such a review anytime soon, but I'll add your request to my request list all the same. :)

WolverineDK wrote:

Sorry for re-mentioning myself. But please mention, you can make your own remarks, when it comes to Scorched Earth, and not just "there are two specific text files", since you can enable the game to use your own remarks back and forth from your own created text file.

It's kind of implied that if stuff is stored in a text file, a file that anyone with half a brain can open and edit, that they are customizable. ;P

SKARDAVNELNATE wrote:

I'm not sure but I think you said gestaffle once.

It's not impossible. Headaches + Foreign Languages = Fail

SKARDAVNELNATE wrote:

Zombies will gun you down before your brain can comprehend what just killed you. If you're attempting to understand what killed you it will have to kill you first. That's how the past tense works.

I just liked the way that sentence sounded; past tense be damned! :D

Mau1wurf1977 wrote:

German pronounciation tends to confuse me and everyone I grew up with (and even some other reviewers I've watched online) said "Wolfenstein" the way I did in the video, so I figured it was correct and didn't bother looking it up.

--- Kris Asick (Gemini)

Reply 476 of 3355, by Stull

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Gemini000 wrote:
Mau1wurf1977 wrote:

German pronounciation tends to confuse me and everyone I grew up with (and even some other reviewers I've watched online) said "Wolfenstein" the way I did in the video, so I figured it was correct and didn't bother looking it up.

It might not be correct, but I'm going to have to back Gemini000 here -- even Romero and Carmack pronounce it this way. I'm willing to bet the majority of North Americans do too. 😊

Reply 477 of 3355, by WolverineDK

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Well, fuck me . Just because the Yanks, and The Cannucks are pronouncing it that way. Then you are incorrect about the name, even if the makers such as Romero and Carmack are pronouncing it in another way. I call it the German way, cause even though there is NO real Castle Wolfenstein (actually there is a castle named something else which has been an inspiration to some of the games), then you bloody better believe Wolfenstein in other countries that are NOT English speaking, and perhaps closer to Germany will call it Vawlfenstein. And do not worry, I am not angry. I am just being straight about it.

Reply 478 of 3355, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Hehe at least now a few more people know about this.

Correcting the pronunciation of German words is a bit of a hobby for me. Living overseas you are always an ambassador of your culture to some extend.

Same thing with UBER which is über or ueber and pronounced differently. I think someone in the game is called UBER soldat or something along those lines.

If you pronounce it correctly in a video you will get mad street-cred from anyone who knows the German language to a certain degree 😀

Reply 479 of 3355, by WolverineDK

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Mau1wurf1977 wrote:
Hehe at least now a few more people know about this. […]
Show full quote

Hehe at least now a few more people know about this.

Correcting the pronunciation of German words is a bit of a hobby for me. Living overseas you are always an ambassador of your culture to some extend.

Same thing with UBER which is über or ueber and pronounced differently. I think someone in the game is called UBER soldat or something along those lines.

If you pronounce it correctly in a video you will get mad street-cred from anyone who knows the German language to a certain degree 😀

I know that, I think the German language is a wonderful language . Aber ich kann nicht denke in Deutsch, I can not think in German, which is why I do not speak it. But I can still pronounce the words in German 😀