Ancient DOS Games Webshow

Topic actions

Reply 1061 of 3354, by Gemini000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
SKARDAVNELNATE wrote:

I see floating brick slabs. I thought slabs always default to the lower position. Was that updated?

Yes. You can also place stairs upsidedown and logs at any angle.

SKARDAVNELNATE wrote:

At 7:45, what was that room? You got distracted just as you were going to explain it.

Just a Cocoa Bean farm. Those pods hanging off of the Jungle Tree logs provide them and you can plant them the same way.

The game has changed a LOT since the days of Beta. The next version coming out is introducing even more things including new enemies and an Anvil item you can use to merge enchanted items together, which is a welcome addition. Most of the new features that get added are neat though I've noted the game gets increasingly more CPU/GPU intensive with every update. Without the OptiFine mod, it's unplayable on my system, yet with that mod I get 60 FPS without changing the look of the game. :P

Jungle biomes also tend to exhaust available RAM on 2 GB systems like mine, so I have to be sure to avoid them when I can. x_x;

cdoublejj wrote:

What episode is the one where they go in the "necell tube"?

The seventh season episode "Eye of the Beholder". ;)

--- Kris Asick (Gemini)
--- Pixelmusement Website: www.pixelships.com
--- Ancient DOS Games Webshow: www.pixelships.com/adg

Reply 1062 of 3354, by cdoublejj

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

In a hurry i updated to 1.4 on my client but, craftbukkit hasn't updated so i can't play on my server with my main computer. I'm physced about the content though been meaning to try the single player.

Reply 1063 of 3354, by Gemini000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Ancient DOS Games Filler #23 - GemCraft: Labyrinth is online!

...and yes, I just covered a Flash game. But you know what? If a game's good, a game's good, regardless of what it was made in. Heck, Spelunky was originally made with Game Maker! :P

But yeah, I know not everyone is into tower defence type games, and it doesn't help that 90% of the ones out there are junk (or just way too generic), but this is definitely one of my favourites and has a lot of features going for it, plus an atmosphere that really helps set the game apart from the crowd. Lots of numbers and stats too, something I find many tower defence games are lacking in.

I'm also going to be looking at a Windows 3.1 game in my next filler. ;)

--- Kris Asick (Gemini)

Reply 1066 of 3354, by Gemini000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Ancient DOS Games Filler #24 - Castle of the Winds is online!

...also, could someone please get Skardavnelnate out of my head. ^_^;

I've actually been wanting to do a filler on this game for awhile now, but I kept running into other things I wanted to mention in my fillers so it kept getting pushed back. :P

Plus recording it was a bit interesting, since I can't do HD footage and don't have the ability to record off of a Windows 3.1 machine, so what I had to do was first, drop Windows back into 96 DPI mode, (I normally run at 125 DPI), then I had to resize the CotW window to precisely match the middle of the screen for screen capture. That's also why I was playing on Easy skill, so that I could get from the start to halfway through the second part in one sitting, which took about 3 hours, then get Windows back into the state it's normally supposed to be in. :P

Also, I had an idea about how I might be able to keep ADG going longer than another 50 episodes. There's a lot to it but what it basically comes down to is not having enough games to go on for a Season 4... at least, if I continue doing things the way I have been.

If I slow down the release of episodes slightly: 3 episodes a month instead of one every Saturday, and take the last two months of each year off, that equates to 25 regular episodes for the year and 5 fillers, though I'd probably release some extra fillers during the off months. That pace would not only give me more time to work on my games, but it would also make it easier to keep my selection of DOS games stocked with the ad revenue that comes in and it should be possible to do a fourth season given that pace. (Plus it would mean new ADG episodes for the next four years!)

Anyone have any thoughts on this?

--- Kris Asick (Gemini)

Reply 1067 of 3354, by Merri

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Sounds like a brilliant idea, I don't mind a slower release pace if it means quality content and more years for the show!

I guess I could also recommend an idea of having episode buffer so you'd always be two or three episodes ahead of release. This would let you be sick every now and then without the need for resorting to easy-to-do backup plan episodes. It might be a bit hard to get used to if you like to push things out as soon as they're done, a programmer mind tends to love showing new stuff to everyone right away it's done 😀

Reply 1068 of 3354, by Gemini000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Merri wrote:

I guess I could also recommend an idea of having episode buffer so you'd always be two or three episodes ahead of release. This would let you be sick every now and then without the need for resorting to easy-to-do backup plan episodes.

...I am so blaming you for jinxing how I feel right now. XD

But yeah, came down with something overnight. Hopefully it's nothing too major as I've been mostly OK today, but the first day of being sick is never a good indicator of how I'll feel a couple days from now.

Incidentally, I've been sick more times this year than normal which is somewhat worrying, but I guess that's just life. :/

--- Kris Asick (Gemini)

Reply 1069 of 3354, by SKARDAVNELNATE

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

When I played Castle of the Winds I got to the boss in part 2. I could barely defeat him because he kept teleporting away every time I hit him. Eventually he died and dropped a helmet that revealed all the monsters on the current level. I was going to work my way up the levels exterminating monsters but I think I sold it by accident since I was switching between that and another helmet that offered combat stats.

Reply 1070 of 3354, by Merri

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Gemini000 wrote:

I've been sick more times this year than normal which is somewhat worrying, but I guess that's just life. :/

Life tends to be quite unbalanced. But I guess you noticed that I noticed a certain pattern while watching the episodes :D I tend to be sick in a more annoying way... just enough to push my mind to the junkyard while being physically in perfect condition. Meaning I have to go to work as I won't be getting time off simply by trying to convince I have a brain flu again! However in the past year or so I've been "lucky" to be sick enough to get time off.

Hopefully you'll figure out what keeps making you sick so you can try fixing it. The most common things these days are lack of physical exercise (should do more myself) or eating properly (should prefer those carrots a bit more than meat'n'pasta... sniff). Human body really isn't made for computer life, which is sad. Mind also tends to get a bit depressed if all the time is spent on the Internet.

Reply 1071 of 3354, by Gemini000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
SKARDAVNELNATE wrote:

When I played Castle of the Winds I got to the boss in part 2. I could barely defeat him because he kept teleporting away every time I hit him. Eventually he died and dropped a helmet that revealed all the monsters on the current level. I was going to work my way up the levels exterminating monsters but I think I sold it by accident since I was switching between that and another helmet that offered combat stats.

Surtur's tough. The trick to winning the battle against him is to just be persistent. It also helps to use speed potions and slow him down with magic. Casting Resist Fire several times also helps I believe, though it's been awhile since I've fought him. I just remember the last time I did he wasn't nearly as hard as I remembered him being because I took steps like that. :P

Merri wrote:

Hopefully you'll figure out what keeps making you sick so you can try fixing it.

Well, half of the times I do get sick it never lasts more than a few hours, which are the times I never talk about since they're inconsequential. I just woke up from my first day of being ill and so far, my throat feels slightly uncomfortable, but doesn't hurt, so that's a good sign. If I was going to be ill for the next two weeks I probably would've had a sore throat by now. :P

Whenever I get even remotely sick, I immediately start a regimine of a lot of water, mixed in with a lot of juice high in Vitamin C. Not sure how effective this tactic is but I've noticed since I started doing it a few years ago that at the very least, it helps weaken whatever it is I've got.

--- Kris Asick (Gemini)

Reply 1072 of 3354, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

vitamin c is a key part of the fuel for our immune systems. Personally I go with a orange/pineapple juice. For good measure, I start adding vodka after dinner, and I don't stop until I feel better. ^.^

Also, zinc inhibits the common cold from reproducing. But I haven't found any alcohol that goes with it.

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 1073 of 3354, by Gemini000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Actually, I've been drinking cranberry juice every day since I was 10 years old. Not the cocktail stuff either but the 100% stuff that's loaded with Vitamin C, doesn't have sugar added and is blended together with other pure juices. It's a developed taste to be sure but then I like sweet and sour things. (Except for the sweet and sour sauce you get with Chinese food... surprisingly.)

Though... considering what we know about antioxidants now that we didn't know two decades ago, I recently began to wonder if this is a part of the reason why I look and feel as young as I do for being almost 30 years old. I mean seriously, I'm in my final weeks of being 29 and yet I STILL get asked at least once a year by someone going door to door if my parents are home. ^_^;

--- Kris Asick (Gemini)

Reply 1074 of 3354, by rcblanke

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Gemini000 wrote:

...I'm in my final weeks of being 29 and yet I STILL get asked at least once a year by someone going door to door if my parents are home. 😅

Haha 😁 😁

Keep it up Kris, enjoy your show!

Reply 1075 of 3354, by The Gecko

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Gemini000 wrote:

I'm in my final weeks of being 29 and yet I STILL get asked at least once a year by someone going door to door if my parents are home. 😅

You are clearly in need of an epic, manly beard. BEEEEEARD.

If all else fails, use fire.

Reply 1076 of 3354, by Gemini000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

My facial hair doesn't grow all that fast and when I do let it grow out a little due to being lazy, it grows pretty unevenly. Also, it's already starting to go white, mostly at the sides above my upper lip and on my chin. o_o;;;

Trust me, I look much less disturbing without facial hair. :P

--- Kris Asick (Gemini)

Reply 1077 of 3354, by SKARDAVNELNATE

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Gemini000 wrote:

I'm in my final weeks of being 29 and yet I STILL get asked at least once a year by someone going door to door if my parents are home. 😅

I have a few similar experiences. While helping a relative of my landlord with a computer problem she asks if I'm a senior. I tell her I just started college. She responds that she thought I was in high school. I had graduated 6 years earlier.

While in college there was a woman I kept running into between classes and we got to know each other for a while. Turns out she was 7 years younger than me. I don't think she learned my age. Several times she referred to me as "this kid".

Reply 1078 of 3354, by Gemini000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Ancient DOS Games Filler #25 - Gemini's Music Showcase is online!

Total amount of work that goes into a typical ADG episode: 20 Man Hours

Total amount of work that went into today's filler: 4 Man Hours

This week has been really hectic. Between working on Vectorzone and dealing with things going on off the net, I didn't have much time to think of what to do for a filler, much less make it in the first place.

That said, I've had a few requests now to get a music section up on my website, and while I do intend to get one up eventually, this will at least pass some of the time and curiosity surrounding my musical skills until then. Eventually I'll need to start a ModArchive account too since that would be a good place to deposit my tunes as well. :)

--- Kris Asick (Gemini)