Topic actions

Reply 1161 of 3347, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
SKARDAVNELNATE wrote:
F2bnp wrote:

He's talking about Dinotopia I think, but anyway.

Oh... It wasn't clear. Sliderider quoted the whole thing so I went with the last title mentioned.

Yes, it was Dinotopia.

Reply 1162 of 3347, by Gemini000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Ancient DOS Games Episode 104 - Roketz is online!

I've actually been debating for over a year whether or not to cover this game on my show. What finally tipped me onto the side of doing so is when I found out the game runs at 360x350 display resolution... seriously... o_O

Also, I've been pretty busy with things and I didn't have too much to say about this game so it made for an easy episode to make. Next week's game's a bit bigger, but another inventory-based adventure game, and they're pretty easy to cover since it's not good to spoil too much of them. Then comes a filler. I'm gonna be needing all that extra time to catch up on making Vectorzone and for anything that comes up offline.

--- Kris Asick (Gemini)
--- Pixelmusement Website: www.pixelships.com
--- Ancient DOS Games Webshow: www.pixelships.com/adg

Reply 1163 of 3347, by lazygamereviews

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Awesome, another one I've never even heard of. Reminds me a wee bit of Crazy Gravity, at least in regards to ship control and such. Not much else though, as that's more of a puzzle game. Looks a tad infuriating to be honest, haha.

https://www.youtube.com/lazygamereviews

Reply 1164 of 3347, by Gemini000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
lazygamereviews wrote:

Looks a tad infuriating to be honest, haha.

It is. :P

--- Kris Asick (Gemini)

Reply 1165 of 3347, by SquallStrife

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
sliderider wrote:

This game had very limited release, as the company went out of business and game went out of print almost immediately upon it's release, making this an extremely rare and hard-to-find game.

Really? My best friend has a copy of this.

Very interesting.

VogonsDrivers.com | Link | News Thread

Reply 1166 of 3347, by Gemini000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
SquallStrife wrote:
sliderider wrote:

This game had very limited release, as the company went out of business and game went out of print almost immediately upon it's release, making this an extremely rare and hard-to-find game.

Really? My best friend has a copy of this.

Very interesting.

It's always fun when you find out something that just seems normal to you is actually pretty rare, like my copy of Bubble Bobble Part 2 for the NES. I expected it to be worth maybe $15 or $20, not $240! ;D

--- Kris Asick (Gemini)

Reply 1168 of 3347, by Novus

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Gemini000 wrote:

Ancient DOS Games Episode 104 - Roketz is online!

I've actually been debating for over a year whether or not to cover this game on my show. What finally tipped me onto the side of doing so is when I found out the game runs at 360x350 display resolution... seriously... 😮

Pinball Fantasies and Pinball Illusions can use this mode as well. It has several neat features:

• All the goodies that come with Mode X, such as hardware scrolling with screen splitting
  • Standard VGA monitor compatibility (can use EGA 720x350 text mode timing with double width pixels)
  • Hardware page flipping between two screen pages (memory use is 126000 bytes, which is barely less than half the 256 kB in VGA).

Reply 1169 of 3347, by Gemini000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Novus wrote:
Pinball Fantasies and Pinball Illusions can use this mode as well. It has several neat features: […]
Show full quote

Pinball Fantasies and Pinball Illusions can use this mode as well. It has several neat features:

• All the goodies that come with Mode X, such as hardware scrolling with screen splitting
  • Standard VGA monitor compatibility (can use EGA 720x350 text mode timing with double width pixels)
  • Hardware page flipping between two screen pages (memory use is 126000 bytes, which is barely less than half the 256 kB in VGA).

That makes sense. It's still a weird resolution. :P

BTW: My page views so far today are FOUR TIMES what they normally should be, and still growing! I've tried looking through my statistics data but I can't figure out where all the views are coming from! Anyone know something I don't?

--- Kris Asick (Gemini)

Reply 1170 of 3347, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Gemini000 wrote:

BTW: My page views so far today are FOUR TIMES what they normally should be, and still growing! I've tried looking through my statistics data but I can't figure out where all the views are coming from! Anyone know something I don't?

I'm going out on a limb and suggesting the video with the pony brought a LOT of people online.

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 1171 of 3347, by Gemini000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
luckybob wrote:

I'm going out on a limb and suggesting the video with the pony brought a LOT of people online.

*checks*

Nope. That particular video's only been viewed 3 times today so far, compared to the 4500 page views presently reached by today alone. (Normal page views for a Tuesday are about 700ish, so yes, it's now up to 5-fold between when I made my previous post here and now.)

--- Kris Asick (Gemini)

Reply 1172 of 3347, by Gemini000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I found the source of the massive number of page views I started getting yesterday...

Some Linux box somewhere is constantly requesting my about.html page.

...yeah. Lameness. :P

--- Kris Asick (Gemini)

Reply 1173 of 3347, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Gemini000 wrote:

I found the source of the massive number of page views I started getting yesterday...

...yeah. Lameness. 😜

See? You should have just taken me at my word and be happy.

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 1174 of 3347, by kolano

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Gemini000 wrote:

...yeah. Lameness. 😜

Definite lameness, there doesn't even seem to be anything regularly updated there to scrape from that page. Hrm, this reminds me that it's been a while since I looked at the logs for my site.

Reply 1176 of 3347, by Gemini000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
RoyBatty wrote:

block the ip...

I don't have direct control over this, my web hosting provider does. Also, I think they did, because as immediately as the page hits started, they were halted around 6 PM PST yesterday. :P

--- Kris Asick (Gemini)

Reply 1177 of 3347, by VileR

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Happened to me at work recently; same symptoms (huge spike in view counts), same cause (a single ip/useragent requesting the same static page twice a second). Easily solved by blocking on sight, but it didn't look like a bot or a crawler, and wasn't doing anything else suspicious, so I failed to pinpoint the specific brand of stupidity behind it. Makes you wonder about the kind of stuff people run on their computers and why...

[ WEB ] - [ BLOG ] - [ TUBE ] - [ CODE ]

Reply 1179 of 3347, by Gemini000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Ancient DOS Games Episode 105 - Star Trek: 25th Anniversary is online!

Almost everyone sent in guesses for Realms of the Haunting this week. I ALMOST made the switch to that game instead, but considering the way things have been going I decided it would be best to stick to what I had planned. I'll do Realms of the Haunting eventually, since it's cheap on GOG.com. ;)

Also, Clint's latest LGR video happens to be an inventory-adventure / first-person shooter too! I swear we don't plan these coincidences! ^_^;
http://lazygamereviews.wordpress.com/2013/02/ … pc-game-review/

--- Kris Asick (Gemini)