https://www.youtube.com/lazygamereviews

Reply 1301 of 3347, by SKARDAVNELNATE

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
PushingUpRoses wrote:

Oh my, thanks for the welcome! I'm excited to be among computer game allies. 😁

We have been aware of you for some time.
PushingUpRoses explains DOSBox

Reply 1303 of 3347, by PushingUpRoses

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Neat.

In retrospect, I probably should have just used the Oregon Trail disc. Several things never came to mind because I legitimately own many of the games and found no harm in downloading the files for my own convenience, and honestly, I always found "abandonware" to be a bit of a gray area. I did that video so quickly and on a whim that I realize know there were more things I should have mentioned, like the dir/p command. I think I may do another DB tutorial anyway, so I can explain more things.

Also, I don't have a good reason for having oddly named folders. I swear, the BJ folder is completely innocent.

Reply 1305 of 3347, by Gemini000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Ack! Stuff happened while I wasn't here! :O

Anyways, thanks for the kind words, Roses!

I've kinda wanted to take a look at older non-DOS games myself, but I've dedicated my entire series to DOS titles and there's hundreds, if not thousands left, that I could be taking a look at, so for the moment, I feel it's best to stay the course. :)

Actually, that is one potential benefit to being on YouTube as well: I could do LPs, especially now that I'm more comfortable doing unscriptted, on-the-fly voice recording than I was when I started ADG. Then I could show-off my ability to beat games like Ninja Gaiden, Batman on the NES, and other tough ones. (Only ever been as far as Level 4 in Battletoads though.)

5 more days until my move... Should go OK; I'm half-packed at the moment and will be getting more done later today.

--- Kris Asick (Gemini)
--- Pixelmusement Website: www.pixelships.com
--- Ancient DOS Games Webshow: www.pixelships.com/adg

Reply 1307 of 3347, by PushingUpRoses

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Good luck finishing off the packing! And also, I can honestly say LPs are much more suited for youtube, simply because people actively search for them. Especially older games people want to revisit, but don't necessarily want to play themselves. 😀

Reply 1308 of 3347, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

That's exactly why I watch LPs. There are tons of old games that I've thought about playing but will never have time for, and being able to lay on the couch when I'm home sick and watch someone else play them lets me know what I would have been (or not been) missing.

Reply 1309 of 3347, by Gemini000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

They're also a good way to see if a game is worth getting or not. A great example of this for me was when Clint took a look at Retro City Rampage. He wasn't a big fan of the game but what I saw was intriguing to me so I figured I'd go for it and I did indeed enjoy playing through it. :)

Even a review where someone doesn't like a game can get someone interested in it... like 90% of James Rolfe's AVGN videos. XD

Funny story: I had a dream of playing a GOOD "Back to the Future" game on the NES awhile back. It was even just a good idea for a game in general so I wrote down the basics of it after I woke up. It was actually an open-world driving game. It involved time getting fractured and going around to different time periods from an overhead view, placing special Temporal Cores to reset time back to normal using a variety of vehicles.

Then, when I was done writing it out, I went online, looked up the Cinemassacre website to see if there was anything new, and freshly uploaded was James' review of several Back to the Future games, including a good one that was only available in Japan! :O

--- Kris Asick (Gemini)

Reply 1310 of 3347, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

If you are going to do LPs, please don't do it as 90% of the others are doing it.... the lazy way. The lazy way is to just unpreparedly boot up the game and start recording. No editing and no preperation whatsoever. Many are misusing LPs as a cheap way to put out videos and get views.

Edit it and show the interesting parts, cut away on stuff showing nothing (like you trying to jump on a rock for 3- minutes), and think through what you're going to say in advance so that the commentary doesn't go stale.

3D Accelerated Games List (Proprietary APIs - No 3DFX/Direct3D)
3D Acceleration Comparison Episodes

Reply 1311 of 3347, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

32516_123829344313724_1114373_n.jpg
"F*** IT, WE'LL DO IT LIVE!"

Yeah, it's definitely appreciated when LPers fast-forward the footage or pause recording when going through a tedious and/or repetitive part.of a game.

Reply 1313 of 3347, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I tell you what, some of the modern games these days, I don't buy them any more, I just watch it on YT.

I'm sure I'm a minority as otherwise these videos would be banned. In a way it's like putting a whole movie online as soon as it's released. Many modern games are really like movies. Zero choice, script after script but with a decent story 😀

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 1314 of 3347, by Gemini000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I'm not a fan of games that play like watching a movie. Case in point: I don't like Bioshock. :O

Yeah, I'm REALLY in the minority for that one. But the thing is that the game gives you so little room to go beyond its bounds that I just started getting bored. If not for the photo-taking mechanic, it would've lost me two hours before I finally just said, "This is boring. It looks fantastic, it controls great... but I really have no interest in what happens next."

With Portal II, I basically just watched the game from start to finish when it was brand new through someone else's LP. Spent the entire day going through all of this videos. But, not too many months ago, I did indeed get both Portal and Portal II together. Why? Firstly, HUGE sale. Got both games for really cheap. Secondly, because Portal II has level editing and I'm a big fan of games with built-in editors. Thirdly, I completely forgot the finer details of the story. Fourthly, I finally wanted to explore the worlds a bit and try things for myself.

*eyes an old Trackmania title* ...granted, SOME editors aren't exactly easy to use... >_>;

--- Kris Asick (Gemini)

Reply 1315 of 3347, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Bioshock and Call of Duty are good examples? But Portal 2? Really?

That game had me hooked from start to finish. Not because of the story but because the puzzles got me hooked.

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 1316 of 3347, by Gemini000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Mau1wurf1977 wrote:

Bioshock and Call of Duty are good examples? But Portal 2? Really?

I think you're reading too fast. :D

Portal 2 is fun and continues to be fun thanks to its level editing.

Bioshock couldn't hold my attention for more than 6 hours. :P
(At least, I think it was 6 hours. Could've been as many as 10. I only got as far as getting past the whole Fisherman's Wharf area.)

I think the difference here may just be a preference in the KIND of story. Bioshock is not a comedy in the slightest, whereas Portal 2 is all about the humour. I'm not one for straight-on drama with minimal action, which is what Bioshock felt like most of the time. Not to mention the actiony bits were either stupidly easy or retardedly difficult, which was another thing I didn't like about the game: the erratic difficulty curve.

--- Kris Asick (Gemini)

Reply 1317 of 3347, by SpooferJahk

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Gemini000 wrote:
I'm not a fan of games that play like watching a movie. Case in point: I don't like Bioshock. :O […]
Show full quote

I'm not a fan of games that play like watching a movie. Case in point: I don't like Bioshock. 😳

Yeah, I'm REALLY in the minority for that one. But the thing is that the game gives you so little room to go beyond its bounds that I just started getting bored. If not for the photo-taking mechanic, it would've lost me two hours before I finally just said, "This is boring. It looks fantastic, it controls great... but I really have no interest in what happens next."

With Portal II, I basically just watched the game from start to finish when it was brand new through someone else's LP. Spent the entire day going through all of this videos. But, not too many months ago, I did indeed get both Portal and Portal II together. Why? Firstly, HUGE sale. Got both games for really cheap. Secondly, because Portal II has level editing and I'm a big fan of games with built-in editors. Thirdly, I completely forgot the finer details of the story. Fourthly, I finally wanted to explore the worlds a bit and try things for myself.

*eyes an old Trackmania title* ...granted, SOME editors aren't exactly easy to use... >_>;

You are not the only one who did not like Bioshock that much, I personally didn't like it coming off of playing System Shock 2 not too long before it came out. I loved System Shock 2 at that time and when I heard Bioshock was a spiritual successor I was excited... then I played it and got really bored after a while to the point where I couldn't push myself to finish it.

Reply 1318 of 3347, by DonutKing

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

You are not the only one who did not like Bioshock that much, I personally didn't like it coming off of playing System Shock 2 not too long before it came out. I loved System Shock 2 at that time and when I heard Bioshock was a spiritual successor I was excited... then I played it and got really bored after a while to the point where I couldn't push myself to finish it.

This was very much my feelings as well. System Shock 1 and 2 were RPG's, the Bioshock series are shooters. I was very disappointed with how many gameplay elements were simplified or removed in Bioshock and it seems to have gotten worse as the series progressed.

Bioshock Infinite seems to have streamlined the gameplay even more so as the focus was on the setting and the plot.
The gun play felt a bit like COD. While the sky rails were novel, much of the game is in doors and the skyrails aren't available. I actually found the gun play to be quite boring.
And to be honest the plot isn't as great as its cracked up to be. It's like an episode of Doctor Who. I wonder, if it wasn't a video game, instead it was a book or movie, if people would still think it was such a great story.

If you are squeamish, don't prod the beach rubble.

Reply 1319 of 3347, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I loved SS2 as well, and also don't find Bioshock to be much of a successor nor very engaging. System Shock 2 was much more of a Metroidvania FPS, while Bioshock feels more like a conventional highly-scripted corridor shooter. Honestly SS1 feels more interesting to me; I really need to play all the way through that one.

Basically, the original Deus Ex ruined FPS games for me over a dozen years ago by showing me that the genre had/has more to offer. I haven't been able to play a lot of conventional FPS games ever since (Half-Life 1-2 being a notable exception).

I still want to try to force myself to play through Bioshock 1 & 2 at some point, since I bought them (albeit at $5 or so each) and a lot of people liked them. I need to finish the Fallout: New Vegas DLCs and then go back to Dragon Age: Origins first, though.