Ancient DOS Games Webshow

Topic actions

Reply 1980 of 3346, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
DracoNihil wrote:

and worse some companies and websites make their ENTIRE index page a giant flash object.

This trend has been going back to 1998 really. It doesn't cache well. Even worse with Scaleform this Flash-everything trend has been seeping into games for no reason other than to shutup the investor's fears.

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 1981 of 3346, by jwt27

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I believe the Skyrim menu system uses Flash too... 😳

Anyway I do have Flash installed, but just block it with NoScript so it won't activate until you click it.

Reply 1982 of 3346, by DracoNihil

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Anything that gives you the Scaleform logo is basically flash... Scaleform is even owned by Adobe I think?

“I am the dragon without a name…”
― Κυνικός Δράκων

Reply 1983 of 3346, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
DracoNihil wrote:

Anything that gives you the Scaleform logo is basically flash... Scaleform is even owned by Adobe I think?

Autodesk.

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto

Reply 1984 of 3346, by mr_bigmouth_502

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'm not a huge fan of Flash either, but it was a much better platform at one time, especially before Apple made a point of not supporting it, and started the whole "Flash is evil" movement. Ironically, ever since that happened, Flash has become much more bloated and buggy, and frankly I hate it more now than I used to when I was younger. My thinking is that instead of improving Flash, Adobe thought "well, now people think Flash sucks, so there's no point in trying to make it any better", and they just sort of let themselves go with it.

Reply 1985 of 3346, by Gemini000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Hunh... The last time I had major issues with Flash was using it in Windows 98 after Microsoft stopped supporting Windows 98... *shrugs*

Anywhoo, Ancient DOS Games Episode 145 - Street Rod is online!

So... if my voice seems different in this episode compared to others... you're not the only ones who noticed. I'm still puzzled why I sound ever so slightly off... maybe I need to stop recording voice overs when I'm dead tired. XD

Also, I intentionally didn't show the effects of crashing in this game... if you do it at a high enough speed there's actually blood splatters. o_o;

--- Kris Asick (Gemini)
--- Pixelmusement Website: www.pixelships.com
--- Ancient DOS Games Webshow: www.pixelships.com/adg

Reply 1987 of 3346, by DracoNihil

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

If there was a way to watch adg on something like VLC or some other media player, that would work better for me than having to resort to installing flash for no good reason.

Also that death scene is hilarious.

“I am the dragon without a name…”
― Κυνικός Δράκων

Reply 1989 of 3346, by Gemini000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
DracoNihil wrote:

If there was a way to watch adg on something like VLC or some other media player, that would work better for me than having to resort to installing flash for no good reason.

Well, I'll be caught up on YouTube eventually, especially now that uploads have resumed there and I have every video file ready to go, it's just a matter of finding time to do uploads. Should be plenty after next week since I'll have two weeks straight off from ADG, during which I'll mostly be coding, thus I can do uploads and code at the same time. :B

HunterZ wrote:

I've never really heard of Street Rod. Is it coincidence that it strongly resembles the early Test Drive games?

Good question... Considering it has the same red dot for the steering system yet none of the people who worked on Test Drive worked on Street Rod, I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that Street Rod was heavily inspired by Test Drive. :P

--- Kris Asick (Gemini)

Reply 1991 of 3346, by kolano

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
awgamer wrote:

Nice, a shame the DOS port never got the nicer 256 color graphics seen there.

Eyecandy: Turn your computer into an expensive lava lamp.

Reply 1994 of 3346, by cdoublejj

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Nice to see the Street Rod video. One of these i'm going to get SR3 going again once we figure how to work with Unity 3D. But, that wouldn't be a DOS game though. 🤣

Oh, btw i think the new paper changes each time you start a new game if not then i think it's fixed in SR2. I may be thinking of SR2 but, i think you can also remove the muffler and replace the rearend. I think the timing goes out of place due to time and wear and tear like in real life though i could be wrong and it could just be from getting bumped.

Also i have found vwith SR2 cycles are critical because if they are too high the opponents can take off and dissapeer long before you can get off line. IDK if you will ever cover SR2.

Reply 1995 of 3346, by Gemini000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
cdoublejj wrote:

Nice to see the Street Rod video. One of these i'm going to get SR3 going again once we figure how to work with Unity 3D. But, that wouldn't be a DOS game though. :lol:

Oh, btw i think the new paper changes each time you start a new game if not then i think it's fixed in SR2. I may be thinking of SR2 but, i think you can also remove the muffler and replace the rearend. I think the timing goes out of place due to time and wear and tear like in real life though i could be wrong and it could just be from getting bumped.

Also i have found vwith SR2 cycles are critical because if they are too high the opponents can take off and dissapeer long before you can get off line. IDK if you will ever cover SR2.

I'm fairly certain the news paper being different is SR2 only, as I had started three games in total and all of them had the exact same listings in the paper. :P

As for covering SR2 on ADG, since the game's freeware now I probably will eventually, no guarantees when though. :P

--- Kris Asick (Gemini)

Reply 1997 of 3346, by Gemini000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The regularly scheduled ADG filler video is going to be a day late... D:

I've run into a number of technical issues with the footage I've captured and while I can work around these issues with some of it, the rest I need to recapture over again with different codec settings. This wouldn't be so bad if this filler video was only a few minutes long, but this filler video is turning out to be the longest video I've ever made, topping out at nearly FORTY minutes long! :O

So... yeah... there's simply nowhere near enough time left in my day to finish this, so I'm gonna have to get it done tomorrow. Should definitely be worth the wait though. ;)

--- Kris Asick (Gemini)

Reply 1998 of 3346, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

What issues if you don't mind sharing?

I remember rendering my 3h+ Roland MT-32 tutorial. The upload to YT was the worst. I think it took 9 hours.

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 1999 of 3346, by Gemini000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Mau1wurf1977 wrote:

What issues if you don't mind sharing?

I recently updated Bandicam and noticed it could now capture directly to an H.264 codec. I tested this and saw no issues playing back the video data in Media Player Classic and VirtualDub so figured I was good to go.

However, it turns out my editing software, Sony Movie Studio Platinum, does NOT like videos rendered this way. It can't read the audio data at all for some reason in the files that were created, so I've been having to use VirtuaDub to strip the audio out and manually sync it in with its appropriate footage inside Movie Studio, which is annoying and time consuming, but not all that difficult. Beyond that though, there seems to be video decoding issues dealing with full-screen scrolling, which so far has thankfully only affected the footage I captured from visiting the websites I'll be talking about, but it means I have to spend time figuring out why this problem exists now so that I can capture footage that won't look like a decoding nightmare when I go to render. :/

Basically, I still have around three to five hours of work ahead of me, on top of the hour I'll need to render a 720p video that's nearly 40 minutes long, and the two hours I'll need to upload it following, and I'm probably going to be dead tired by midnight, which is only a couple hours away. >_<;

Actually, I've run into technical issues every single time I've updated any single piece of software that's a part of my production process, but usually it's not with a video as big as this one so I can typically work my way through the problem and still remain on schedule. :P

--- Kris Asick (Gemini)