Topic actions

Reply 2120 of 3347, by cdoublejj

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Gemini000 wrote:
vetz wrote:

Most of your YT problems seems to be from ISP and/or router stuff. No problems here.

It's entirely possible my ISP is to blame considering some of the other troubles I've run into, but my father is against changing to a new ISP, even if I paid for it. >_>;

I think he'll change his mind about that if and when we have a couple more moments where it's down for an hour or more. 😜

https://www.privateinternetaccess.com/

can't throttle youtube if they can't snoop/sniff the packets or detect the server! In America this is how we use youtube ...right before we hit our caps and incur insane overages.

Reply 2122 of 3347, by Gemini000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
SquallStrife wrote:

I think he just means his ISP is crap, rather than that they're doing anything insidious.

TBH, I'm not sure. :P

We're SUPPOSEDLY on an unlimited service with no caps, just relatively low bandwidth. There was a buyout of our ISP by another earlier in the year though and while the website for our old ISP existed just a few weeks ago, it's gone now. It's possible our problems were the result of switchovers from old ISP systems to new ones, but even then I can't be sure.

Next time I'm awake I'll have to dig a little deeper and see where I end up. For the moment, I'm pretty tired but still need to elaborate on some other ridiculousness elsewhere on the forum. :P

--- Kris Asick (Gemini)
--- Pixelmusement Website: www.pixelships.com
--- Ancient DOS Games Webshow: www.pixelships.com/adg

Reply 2125 of 3347, by Gemini000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally we were on a French service called "Youmano", though it was bought out by a company called "Mustang Technologies" at some point, thus we're under their banner now. Dad wanted something cheap without bandwidth caps and at the time, it was one of the better choices.

Even now, looking at their new plans, they're still one of the cheapest services to provide unlimited bandwidth and normally we hadn't had any major problems. It's only been the past month or so where things have been less than perfect, though for the past few days things have been back to normal so I'm hoping whatever nonsense was going on, either with my ISP or with YouTube, is finally sorted out.

--- Kris Asick (Gemini)

Reply 2126 of 3347, by cdoublejj

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
SquallStrife wrote:

I think he just means his ISP is crap, rather than that they're doing anything insidious.

it's common for ISPs in North America to throttle youtube, it discourages user from using it, thusly saving them bandwidth and reducing traffic/strain so they can keep milking their crappy infrastructure that they refuse to upgrade for every last cent.

Yes it's really that bad. if you frequent teksyndicate on youtube a lot they cover it most of their episodes as they follow the US's fight for better internet. I think the US's crappy policies and internet has started to spill over in to Canada, especially since most of canada population is near the border.

Reply 2127 of 3347, by Gemini000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
cdoublejj wrote:
SquallStrife wrote:

it's common for ISPs in North America to throttle youtube, it discourages user from using it, thusly saving them bandwidth and reducing traffic/strain so they can keep milking their crappy infrastructure that they refuse to upgrade for every last cent.

Yes it's really that bad. if you frequent teksyndicate on youtube a lot they cover it most of their episodes as they follow the US's fight for better internet. I think the US's crappy policies and internet has started to spill over in to Canada, especially since most of canada population is near the border.

You think YOU guys had it bad? Scroll back a little less than a decade and our typical bandwidth caps were 60 Gb a month and unlimited packages weren't offered by ANY of the big-name companies. We also dealt with massive throttling years ago by all the major players and even some of the minor players, but the CRTC got involved and implemented regulations, though it took up until only recently for the CRTC to really find any way of enforcing these regulations. As a result, complaints do still enter the system related to throttling but those complaint numbers are dropping fast.

Things have changed a bit in the past couple years and it seems everyone offers an unlimited bandwidth package now and still offers much higher bandwidth caps than before, so if anything, our internet in general was pretty terrible, but it looks as though it may finally be getting better.

The irony being, we had cable internet long before most anyone else did. :P

--- Kris Asick (Gemini)

Reply 2128 of 3347, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Reading this makes me glad to have internet in a country were bandwidth caps never took on. Some ISPs tried to implement it when DSL came along, but it caught on. I have been using fiberoptic since 2002, currently at 50/50 mbit now, more than enough, but I can order 1000mbit/1000mbit if I want to go crazy.

3D Accelerated Games List (Proprietary APIs - No 3DFX/Direct3D)
3D Acceleration Comparison Episodes

Reply 2129 of 3347, by jwt27

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
vetz wrote:

Reading this makes me glad to have internet in a country were bandwidth caps never took on. Some ISPs tried to implement it when DSL came along, but it caught on. I have been using fiberoptic since 2002, currently at 50/50 mbit now, more than enough, but I can order 1000mbit/1000mbit if I want to go crazy.

Wow.
I'm stuck with an 8192/512k plan, but barely receive 2048/256k because we live too far from the DSLAM 🙁

Reply 2130 of 3347, by JayCeeBee64

User metadata
Rank Retired
Rank
Retired
vetz wrote:

Consider yourself lucky. Like jwt27, I have DSL as my only practical option (7000k/875k on a good day); fiber is simply not available where I live (and probably won't be for a very long time 😒 ), and while the local cable company does offer much faster options, they throttle everything and anything they want without regard or care - for them, it's just "business as usual" (and no amount of complaints to any city/state official or regulatory agency has changed anything 😠 ). And as I have said before elsewhere, moving is not an option. At least I'm able to stream any ADG videos without much trouble.

Ooohh, the pain......

Reply 2131 of 3347, by Martha

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

If there was a way to watch adg carcasa piel nexus 6 on something like VLC or some other media fundas nexus 9 tablet player, that would work better for me than having to resort to installing flash protector pantalla nexus 5

Last edited by Martha on 2014-11-27, 02:27. Edited 2 times in total.

Reply 2132 of 3347, by Gemini000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Martha wrote:

If there was a way to watch adg on something like VLC or some other media player, that would work better for me than having to resort to installing flash

With the glut of advertising on videos to pay for bandwidth I seriously doubt any of the major video services out there are ever gonna make this possible... maybe if the external players themselves become capable of streaming the ads too, but then that would bypass the analytics which these services use to help sell advertising better. :P

We've actually been kinda spoiled online by the lack of ads. No really, compared to television, we have it easy, complete with buttons to skip long ads after 5 seconds. I wouldn't mind mid-rolls either if people implemented them better by actually formatting their videos to have slots to insert mid-rolls into. I hate it when a video SUDDENLY enters a mid-roll with no warning and blasts my eardrums because of the volume differential between the video I'm watching and the ad. x_x;

...that said, you'll never see mid-rolls on ADG unless I'm FORCED to start using them. :B

--- Kris Asick (Gemini)

Reply 2133 of 3347, by Gemini000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Ancient DOS Games Filler #43 - Wonder Boy in Monster World is online!

...and yes, I'm aware of the coincidence of covering two games in a row that both end with the word "World". :B

But yeah, there's actually a number of hack and slash platformers I enjoy, but it's a tricky genre to get right in my eyes. Dragon View on the SNES, Muramasa on the Wii and Rogue Legacy on Steam are high on my list, but near the bottom are some decent games like Strider and Ninja Gaiden that I just don't really like all that much, even though they're really not bad games at all.

Actually, Wonder Boy in Monster World, Dragon View, Muramasa and Rogue Legacy ALL have a lot in common. They all have exceptional visuals, they all have decent to excellent music, they all feature changing character sprites based on equipment, they're all part of the adventure genre as opposed to the arcade genre, and they all control beautifully. (Well... Dragon View's 3D overworld is really slow and jerky, but the actual hack-and-slash stuff is solid.)

--- Kris Asick (Gemini)

Reply 2134 of 3347, by SquallStrife

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Ah Wonder Boy, my favourite series!

Yeah,the Wonder Boy series is a cluster-chuckle of minced names and numbering. Did you know "Adventure Island" is the name of the NES game, AND of the version of Dragon's Trap for the PC Engine? *eyeroll*

VogonsDrivers.com | Link | News Thread

Reply 2135 of 3347, by Gemini000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

It's also kinda ridiculous that there technically never was a "Wonder Boy IV", even though Monster World II could be considered that, but it's never referenced that way as far as I can tell.

Names, man. x_x;

One of the Sega Ages 2500 collections for the PS2 released in Japan has all six Wonder Boy / Monster World games. 'twould be a neat thing to have, although considering I have access to five of the six games legitimately (except the arcade-styled Wonder Boy III) it might be redundant. :P

--- Kris Asick (Gemini)

Reply 2136 of 3347, by switchblade

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I used to own Wonder Boy in Monster World when I had a Genesis. I dunno why, but I enjoyed playing the hell outta that game despite its colorful looks (I had an older brother who preferred more "darker" graphics like Contra: Hard Corps, Castlevania Bloodlines, etc). That said, I never really finished the game back then. Watching this makes me feel like I should complete it now. 😀

Also, if I recall correctly, isn't there a port of this game for the PC Engine CD called Dynastic Hero? Almost looks and plays the same (no parallax scrolling and you have to press Run/Start to use items and magic), but the music is all red book audio and honestly I didn't really like it. Just didn't sound right compared to the Genesis tunes. Also, the English translation is much different in that version and the main hero isn't called Shion, I think.

Reply 2137 of 3347, by Gemini000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
switchblade wrote:

Also, if I recall correctly, isn't there a port of this game for the PC Engine CD called Dynastic Hero? Almost looks and plays the same (no parallax scrolling and you have to press Run/Start to use items and magic), but the music is all red book audio and honestly I didn't really like it. Just didn't sound right compared to the Genesis tunes. Also, the English translation is much different in that version and the main hero isn't called Shion, I think.

I own this port on the Wii Virtual Console and have beaten it. The gameplay is virtually identical with some minor technical differences due to the Genesis being more suited to how the game was originally made, but the characters, music, intro and ending are COMPLETELY different, since the whole thing with Wonder Boy copyrights is that Westone owns all the rights except for the characters. :P

Personally, I prefer the Genesis version for a variety of reasons, but if I had a TG-16 CD system back in the day instead of a Genesis, that version would've still probably found its way into my collection. ;)

There's ALSO a Sega Master System port which I've played emulated but don't own. It's... very inferior, but it's intriguing what they were actually able to pull off all the same given the hardware limitations of the SMS.

--- Kris Asick (Gemini)

Reply 2138 of 3347, by switchblade

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Gemini000 wrote:

I own this port on the Wii Virtual Console and have beaten it. The gameplay is virtually identical with some minor technical differences due to the Genesis being more suited to how the game was originally made, but the characters, music, intro and ending are COMPLETELY different, since the whole thing with Wonder Boy copyrights is that Westone owns all the rights except for the characters. 😜

That explains why the hero looks like a bloody stag beetle in the TG-16 CD version. 😀

Gemini000 wrote:

There's ALSO a Sega Master System port which I've played emulated but don't own. It's... very inferior, but it's intriguing what they were actually able to pull off all the same given the hardware limitations of the SMS.

To be fair, the game doesn't look THAT graphically intensive anyway. I imagine the SMS version would've looked the same if it had better colors and bigger tilemaps.

Also, I didn't learn about this until now, but there is a Brazilian adaptation of this game made by TecToy. 😲 Very interesting!

http://www.mobygames.com/game/genesis/turma-d … ra-dos-monstros

Reply 2139 of 3347, by Gemini000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
switchblade wrote:

Also, I didn't learn about this until now, but there is a Brazilian adaptation of this game made by TecToy. :exclamation: Very interesting!

Oh yeah. The Sega Master System was actually HUGE in that part of the world. If you want to see TecToy's analogue to Action 52, check out this video Clint made: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r7PgsNdZykI

--- Kris Asick (Gemini)