VOGONS

Ancient DOS Games Webshow

Topic actions

Reply 3200 of 3205, by Gemini000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Ancient DOS Games Episode 284 - Transport Tycoon Deluxe is online!

This week was kinda bad for me in real life so it's kinda crazy that I managed to push this video out, but it also meant I didn't have time to go back and address something which popped up while writing the script... After re-reading the manual I found a curious bit of info right at the end, just casually mentioned, which is actually an extremely pertinent and important fact about how this game is working under-the-hood which would've COMPLETELY changed my strategies had I known it was happening! D:

But, it just further reinforces how this game is ultimately presented: It's much more advanced than its predecessor, Railroad Tycoon, while being simpler in a number of ways, but with a much more relentless AI which demands you to play this game near flawlessly, even on lower difficulty settings, to succeed. However, given the extreme customization allowed with the difficulty you can just elect to turn the AI players off and treat this more as a software toy, so that's not really a hindrance to playing this thing if you enjoy the concept and aesthetics. :B

--- Kris Asick (Gemini)
--- Pixelmusement Website: www.pixelships.com
--- Ancient DOS Games Webshow: www.pixelships.com/adg

Reply 3201 of 3205, by Expack3

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

With how ubiquitous OpenTTD is these days, I think a post in your YouTube channel's Community tab clarifying why you find it to be legally-dubious is in order. I mean, I understand why you feel that way - unlike with, say, Daggerfall Unity, even without the original files (or the open-source replacements now available), the core gameplay is there in what may be a direct copy of the original game's - but most won't without a more lengthy explanation than can be afforded in a YouTube video description or pinned comment.

Reply 3202 of 3205, by Gemini000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Expack3 wrote on 2021-05-09, 14:31:

With how ubiquitous OpenTTD is these days, I think a post in your YouTube channel's Community tab clarifying why you find it to be legally-dubious is in order. I mean, I understand why you feel that way - unlike with, say, Daggerfall Unity, even without the original files (or the open-source replacements now available), the core gameplay is there in what may be a direct copy of the original game's - but most won't without a more lengthy explanation than can be afforded in a YouTube video description or pinned comment.

I already have an explanation in the video description; though it may not have been there when you first watched the video as I added it later. But here's some copypasta:

"There technically IS a way to play this game nowadays digitally for free, as there's a game out there called "OpenTTD" which is apparently an open-source remake of this game with various tweaks and updates to the original gameplay... but the legality of it has me somewhat worried. Admittedly, from the looks of it, it doesn't look to be a 1-to-1 copy of the original game's assets, but that doesn't matter if a copyright holder argues that your product has created market confusion because it's TOO similar. It even goes so far as to say "OpenTTD is not an abbreviation of anything" even though it blatantly is. :P"

--- Kris Asick (Gemini)

Reply 3204 of 3205, by Gemini000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Quick heads up for anyone who hasn't heard the news yet, but I've been having recurring intense stomach pain the past couple months and it's very likely going to affect my production schedule going forward, so expect the occasional missed Shovelware Diggers or delayed ADG for the next while. :(

Today's ADG is one such victim, delayed from its intended release last weekend, but finally, Ancient DOS Games Filler #87 - You Wanna Make Games in 2021? is online!

This is a video I've actually been meaning to make for quite awhile now, as my original "So You Wanna Make Games?" filler way back in 2013 had some good insights but is severely outdated and fails to address many of the things which have occurred to help spur on indie development over the past few years, including crowdfunding, social media, greater access to gaming storefronts not to mention greater access to game engines and dev tools in general, so it was high time to give some more useful tips and advice for anyone with gamedev ambitions, as well as a few more cautions for anyone with those ambitions but no experience, since gamedev is not always the right path for someone who has an idea as it's one of the hardest avenues of creative output to pursue and can leave nothing but a sour taste and worn emotions if you force yourself down that route without actually enjoying the journey. :|

--- Kris Asick (Gemini)

Reply 3205 of 3205, by Teggun

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Sorry to hear you haven't been feeling well, hope that you feel better soon enough, best of luck!

And very interesting video, i recently decided to check out Godot engine and it's been pretty fun experimentation.