VOGONS

Ancient DOS Games Webshow

Topic actions

Reply 1901 of 3347, by Gemini000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Just got the milestone video up on YouTube... and of course, hit by Content-ID because of the video footage of the title sequence for The Sims 3. >_>;

...honestly, because I'm getting numerous times more money from Patreon supporters than from ad revenue I don't really care to stress over the YouTube system anymore. If any videos get hit by Content-ID in the future yet are still watchable following (and the match wasn't completely erroneous) I'm just acknowledging it and adding side notes into the video description that it happened and that the revenue for any ads shown aren't going to me but to someone else. (Even non-monetized videos hit by Content-ID may have ads shown, with the revenue going towards the claimant.)

Ironically, knowing what I know about Google now... I think they WANT the system to be more friendly to content producers, but have their hands tied because of the DMCA and other such ridiculousness. I was reading their latest Content-ID policies and have noticed just from the wording and extra options available now for claimants that they're making an effort to discourage people/companies from using Content-ID to completely block/mute videos, even though those options are still available.

EDIT (just a few minutes later): ...and I just went to go back to recording footage for ADG and noticed that none of the past three hours of gameplay were captured for some reason even though I KNOW I hit CTRL+ALT+F5 properly... yet there's a screenshot in my capture folder from before I started playing...

*sigh*

--- Kris Asick (Gemini)
--- Pixelmusement Website: www.pixelships.com
--- Ancient DOS Games Webshow: www.pixelships.com/adg

Reply 1902 of 3347, by Great Hierophant

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The Tandy gray-background issue in Starflight has been fixed in the SVN for over a year. Any current build of DOSBox other than the official 0.74 should have the fix.

I don't think Kris stated whether his Test Drive supports Tandy sound, only Tandy video. His parents may have bought it from Radio Shack.

http://nerdlypleasures.blogspot.com/ - Nerdly Pleasures - My Retro Gaming, Computing & Tech Blog

Reply 1903 of 3347, by Gemini000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Great Hierophant wrote:

The Tandy gray-background issue in Starflight has been fixed in the SVN for over a year. Any current build of DOSBox other than the official 0.74 should have the fix.

Good to know. :B

Great Hierophant wrote:

I don't think Kris stated whether his Test Drive supports Tandy sound, only Tandy video. His parents may have bought it from Radio Shack.

It does not. Only the 16-colour graphics mode. And yeah, we did indeed get it from a Canadian Radio Shack store back in the day. Everything Tandy-related came from Radio Shack. ;)

--- Kris Asick (Gemini)

Reply 1904 of 3347, by cdoublejj

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

HOLY CROW!!! Some of the music in Highway Hunter reminds me of the music in Shadow run on the Sega Genesis.

http://www.shadowrun.com/forums/discussion/comment/14074

Reply 1905 of 3347, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
cdoublejj wrote:

HOLY CROW!!! Some of the music in Highway Hunter reminds me of the music in Shadow run on the Sega Genesis.

Wish I could listen at work, but why did that come up here?

Reply 1906 of 3347, by Gemini000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
HunterZ wrote:
cdoublejj wrote:

Wish I could listen at work, but why did that come up here?

I'm only up to Episode 68 on YouTube thanks to not having the time to get more videos converted and uploaded. Episode 67 was my Highway Hunter episode and thus it's one of the last (or first) ones people will watch if they go with YouTube instead of my website. On top of this, cdoublejj's post above is an exact copy of a comment left on YouTube, though the time indexes are so close it's hard to know which came first, his comment on YouTube or his reply here. :B

--- Kris Asick (Gemini)

Reply 1907 of 3347, by Gemini000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Just a quick heads-up that the next episode of ADG will be a little later than usual. Normally I try to get my episodes out before midnight, but I'm going to be heading to bed very soon yet I still have all the video editing left to do, so it probably won't be up until around 5 or 6 AM EDT.

I would never wish my sleeping issues on anyone, not even my worst enemies. >_<;

--- Kris Asick (Gemini)

Reply 1908 of 3347, by Gemini000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Ancient DOS Games Episode 142 - BioForge is online!
(Please note that this is a mature rated episode.)

Spoilers: This could be the lowest-rated episode of ADG I ever produce. :O

...I do not like BioForge at all. Before going into this, the last time I had played the game was a demo version included on a sampler CD I had from way back when I was a kid. I recall even then I had trouble playing it but recognized that it had interesting graphics for the time. Playing the full game for my first time this week though was an extremely frustrating and not-fun experience, not helped when I found out that something happened which mysteriously prevented the ALT key from being read when trying to start DOSBox recording at one point, thus I ended up with a screenshot instead of gameplay footage and had to replay a bunch of stuff... and while it was easier to do the second time around it was still needlessly hampered by the unresponsive controls. :P

But yeah, I tried my best to be fair to this thing by trying to focus on what I as a game designer would've done differently for each of the core issues that came up. I guess time will tell whether this episode or Episode 60 turns out to be lower rated. (Episode 60 was the one where I covered Raptor: Call of the Shadows and, at this moment, is currently my lowest-rated episode.)

--- Kris Asick (Gemini)

Reply 1909 of 3347, by SKARDAVNELNATE

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

As I recall there's a logbook entry that explains the character has some faulty wiring and if he uses the same attack twice in a row it's less effective. Also that crazy blue man doesn't seem the least bit bothered at having his arm cut off so they might be more evenly matched than you give him credit for. The guard in a cell however is a questionable opponent to lose to.

Personally I would have been interested in hearing you point out all the faults in it. For instance if you have the wrong IRQ the character doesn't bother to get out of bed at the start. Then there's how easy it is to completely miss the access code that reveals his identity.

Reply 1910 of 3347, by konc

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Dude it's July already, move on from June 😀
I couldn't agree more on the game though, I also had a first chance with it from a magazine cd offering its demo back then. Playing it recently didn't change my opinion about it.

Reply 1911 of 3347, by Gemini000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
konc wrote:

Dude it's July already, move on from June :)

?

*checks things*

...oops... XD

*fixes things*

;)

--- Kris Asick (Gemini)

Reply 1912 of 3347, by Harekiet

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

Even with all it's flaws BioForge is still fondly remembered by me. Mostly for the storyline, ancient alien stuff always does very well with me 😀

Reply 1913 of 3347, by switchblade

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I still have some fondness for BioForge, even though I have never played it back then. But I still can't get behind the terrible puzzles and combat which, let's be honest here, is crap. Also, didn't BioForge REQUIRE a 486DX2 at 66 MHz if you wanted to even run the game? I think you actually needed a Pentium at 90 MHz or above if you wanted the game to run at a playable frame rate.

Considering what Kris thinks of BioForge, I highly doubt he's going to enjoy Alone in the Dark either (or any of the first three Resident Evil games for that matter).... 🤣

Reply 1914 of 3347, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I thought of Alone in the Dark too when Kris described the controls.

I bought the AitD series on GOG during a sale because I remember having a bit of fun with it back in the day, but I was wondering myself how well it will stand up with the controls being what they were.

I've just barely passed up several BioForge sales on GOG. Sounds like I made the right move.

I never got into the Resident Evil games because of the bad camera angles in the pre-rendered scenes, but I think it was less forgivable by then.

Reply 1915 of 3347, by RadioPoultry

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I once picked up a copy of BioForge at a thrift store years ago (CD only), but I never got the game running, and I lost it somewhere. I don't feel so bad now.

I've not played BioForge, but the controls, as described, remind me of Twinsen's Odyssey. Between the controls and my compatibility issues, I don't know how I finished that game. (I still kind of liked that one, though.)

Reply 1916 of 3347, by switchblade

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Alone in the Dark isn't really bad "combat-wise" (but still kinda sucky) compared to BioForge, but the puzzles can be just as obnoxious and as difficult to solve. If you forget to pick up an item or you forget to do some small action early on in the game, you won't be able to actually finish the game, because of this obscure thing you didn't do early on. It also has some enemies that can't be killed, and one of them will follow you around everywhere to kill you if you're unlucky enough to get to it.

Surprisingly enough, AitD was popular enough to get 2 sequels whilst BioForge fell down the wayside. I suppose Resident Evil can be considered BioForge or AitD done right and much simpler? Still not really a fan of those tank controls, though.

Reply 1917 of 3347, by Gemini000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
switchblade wrote:

Considering what Kris thinks of BioForge, I highly doubt he's going to enjoy Alone in the Dark either (or any of the first three Resident Evil games for that matter).... :lol:

I have zero interest in the Resident Evil series. As for Alone in the Dark, it's in the top 10 most requested games now so I'll definitely be getting to it sooner or later. ;)

HunterZ wrote:

I thought of Alone in the Dark too when Kris described the controls.

See, the funny thing is that even though controls like that really don't belong in a fixed camera angles game, they're not THAT bad so long as they actually work and you can move around acceptably enough. In BioForge they're slow to respond, occasionally DON'T, and finicky when you want to try and run, so it just makes an already awkward control system annoying. :P

RadioPoultry wrote:

I've not played BioForge, but the controls, as described, remind me of Twinsen's Odyssey. Between the controls and my compatibility issues, I don't know how I finished that game. (I still kind of liked that one, though.)

Oh geeze... rest assured, the Twinsen games will get their time on the show at some point or another. Their overall design combined with the way they play has always made me curious who the intended audience was. >_>;

switchblade wrote:

Surprisingly enough, AitD was popular enough to get 2 sequels whilst BioForge fell down the wayside.

EVERYTHING Origin made fell by the wayside, regardless of if it was full of epic or fail. Origin is one of the greatest examples of a company with tons of talent and great ideas that just never got a break... sorta... Actually, I think the key issue with Origin may've been that they spent so much money making their games that the sales following were barely enough to keep them afloat. :/

--- Kris Asick (Gemini)

Reply 1918 of 3347, by switchblade

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Gemini000 wrote:

EVERYTHING Origin made fell by the wayside, regardless of if it was full of epic or fail. Origin is one of the greatest examples of a company with tons of talent and great ideas that just never got a break... sorta... Actually, I think the key issue with Origin may've been that they spent so much money making their games that the sales following were barely enough to keep them afloat. 😒

I don't want to even imagine how much money Origin pissed down the hole when filming all of those FMV's for both Wing Commander III and IV. That said, you can't really argue against seeing Mark Hamill, Tom Wilson, Malcolm McDowell, and John Rhys Davis in either VGA or SVGA graphics. 😀

Reply 1919 of 3347, by F2bnp

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Gemini000 wrote:
RadioPoultry wrote:

Oh geeze... rest assured, the Twinsen games will get their time on the show at some point or another. Their overall design combined with the way they play has always made me curious who the intended audience was. >_>;

Tread lightly, you're on a thin line after saying such things 🤣