Ancient DOS Games Webshow

Topic actions

Reply 420 of 3354, by Gemini000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
WolverineDK wrote:

But Grandfather ? Sir, Pole Position came out before this game.. on pc to be exact :)

It's really difficult to judge how "first" or "last" games are in terms of anything, so a common catch-all you'll hear me state in my reviews is "one of", so as to encompass all games which might be considered a certain way.

My exact words were, "one of the grandfathers of computerized, formula one racing" because I knew there were others. ;)

Semantics! ;D

--- Kris Asick (Gemini)
--- Pixelmusement Website: www.pixelships.com
--- Ancient DOS Games Webshow: www.pixelships.com/adg

Reply 421 of 3354, by Gemini000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Ancient DOS Games Episode 60 - Raptor: Call of the Shadows is online!

This week's episode will be a true testament to my reviewing skills, with the comments and responses all of you send me indicating whether I'm doing it right or failing miserably. You'll see why just seconds after I open my mouth. ;)

Suffice to say, this was a very difficult review to do...

Not to mention the game's hard as nails too. I played through it several times and only managed to beat all 27 levels in one go once. The other times I either got slaughtered near the end of Tango or halfway through the Outer Reigons. (And I wasn't recording when I did beat the game, I was just practicing. Lame.)

--- Kris Asick (Gemini)

Reply 423 of 3354, by WolverineDK

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Gemini000: What a hard game, but I do not hate you. So if I ever get the chance, then I will buy you a beer. As long you are not religiously peeved about alcoholic or caffeinated beverages. Even if I hated you (which I do not), then I would still buy you a beverage , and I would not lace it with ex-lax either, to spite you. So whether you liked the game or not, then you did an excellent job of reviewing the game so thumps up mate 😀

Last edited by WolverineDK on 2011-09-17, 14:23. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 424 of 3354, by Gemini000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

My typical choice of hydration is soda pop. ;D

--- Kris Asick (Gemini)

Reply 426 of 3354, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I haven't tried for a few weeks, but it seems that I can no longer watch ADG via my Android phone 🙁 It says the "video cannot be played".

Regarding the Abuse episode: I agree with the assessments of the game, but the episode inspired me to try porting the open-source SDL version to the Wii as a homebrew project. I've actually managed to get it working in a playable state!

Reply 427 of 3354, by WolverineDK

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
HunterZ wrote:

Regarding the Abuse episode: I agree with the assessments of the game, but the episode inspired me to try porting the open-source SDL version to the Wii as a homebrew project. I've actually managed to get it working in a playable state!

Hmmm are you thinking of getting your homebrew project out in the open ? so other people can enjoy it on the Wii 😀

Reply 428 of 3354, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
WolverineDK wrote:
HunterZ wrote:

Hmmm are you thinking of getting your homebrew project out in the open ? so other people can enjoy it on the Wii 😀

Yes, I hope to do an initial release after I get a few last things cleaned up.

Reply 429 of 3354, by Gemini000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Actually, the Android phone issue is something I was made aware of just recently. Blip.tv recently updated the way video quality is handled as well as the way embedded links are generated in order to account for these changes, but for some reason it's broken Android phone viewing of the embeds for no logical reason. x_x;

I think one work around for now would be to watch ADG on the http://blip.tv/adg page but I'm not 100% certain. Another viewer of mine did some really in-depth investigating of what's up with Blip.tv and Android phones and submitted all the info to Blip.tv, so hopefully there'll be some progress on getting this all working again soon.

--- Kris Asick (Gemini)

Reply 430 of 3354, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Same issue at blip.tv/adg, but thanks for the info.

Maybe XBMC has a plugin that I can use to watch ADG on my HTPC. There's just something about Saturday mornings that makes me not want to sit in front of the computer to watch videos 😀

Reply 432 of 3354, by Novus

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Gemini000 wrote:

Another viewer of mine

Hi!

did some really in-depth investigating of what's up with Blip.tv and Android phones and submitted all the info to Blip.tv, so hopefully there'll be some progress on getting this all working again soon.

blip.tv hasn't responded to my message at all, so I guess we'll have to work around the problem for a while. It would be useful if viewers with Android phones could report whether ADG works for them or not, so we can determine how widespread this problem is.

The short version: blip.tv tries to auto-detect whether you're on a mobile phone or not both in the Javascript on the web pages and when sending the actual video stream. In both cases the user agent of the program contacting the server is checked.

On the HTC Desire, at least, the web browser is recognised but the streaming media player is not. This causes blip.tv to send the Flash player to the streaming media player, which is expecting an MPEG-4 stream. As you can expect, this won't work.

On the Desire, at least, you can restore the old behaviour (using the Flash player) by making the web browser appear to be on a desktop machine instead. To do this, enter

about:debug

into the web browser's location bar. This will open a new section in the settings (menu/More/Settings) containing Debug options. Changing the UAString option to Desktop makes newer ADG videos (as well as the rest of the blip.tv site) work fine for me.

I hope this helps.

Reply 434 of 3354, by VileR

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Novus wrote:

It would be useful if viewers with Android phones could report whether ADG works for them or not, so we can determine how widespread this problem is.

Just checked, works nicely on mine (Galaxy S2).

as for the latest installment: heh, I never really liked Raptor either. I'd even disagree with the comment about how spectacular it looked - although (or because?) the graphics have that unmistakable Autodesk Animator touch... anyone remembers that amazing piece of software?

[ WEB ] - [ BLOG ] - [ TUBE ] - [ CODE ]

Reply 436 of 3354, by lazygamereviews

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Fantastic to see Raptor featured! Loved playing that game, although Tyrian is still easily my favorite PC top-down shooter. Tough as nails though. I can totally feel you on the design issues, very fair points even if I disagree with some of them.

As for watching ADG on Android, that's how I watch the show most often is on my Samsung Galaxy S 4G. I use the Skyfire browser, which opens embedded videos through its own video player. It goes through some compression to use less bandwidth and also formats it to your specific display, so that may be why I have no issues. I highly recommend the browser to anyone who watches media on an Android device.

https://www.youtube.com/lazygamereviews

Reply 437 of 3354, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Hey phreakindee, didn't know you read VOGONS. Funny that you should post about my issue, as I actually watched your Covox oddware episode on my phone (instead of ADG) while eating breakfast last weekend :p

Thanks for the Skyfire tip. I might check it out.

Reply 438 of 3354, by WolverineDK

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

LGR: thy Covox speech thing episode was fucking awesome 😁 I am actually shocked to find how awesome that thingy sounded in comparison to the HORRIBLE PC Speaker. Hell I wish I had a Covox Speech thing to my mothers (first) pc, that would have saved a lot of ear pain.

Reply 439 of 3354, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I think I tried to build one of those in the 1990s once but tossed it when I couldn't get it to work. Now I'm thinking I was probably confused and trying to use it with software that expected it to be one of the other Covox things or the Disney Sound Source. Oh well.