VOGONS

Ancient DOS Games Webshow

Topic actions

Reply 840 of 3347, by Gemini000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Ancient DOS Games Episode 87 - Space Quest is online!

Yeah, still not 100% better so I kinda sound like I'm dying. Funny thing is that beyond sounding half-dead, I'm actually feeling fairly well, short of still having a nasty cough and blowing my nose every 20 minutes or so. :/

In any case, I figured I was well enough to go back to the usual episodes. :)

BTW: Exciting thing happened this week: I've been interviewed by TechRepublic! Here's a link to anyone who wants to read it and learn more about my DOS gaming interests: http://www.techrepublic.com/blog/geekend/inte … kris-asick/9603

The review even made it to the top of their newsletter which has... umm... done interesting things to my viewership numbers. GOOD interesting things! :3

--- Kris Asick (Gemini)
--- Pixelmusement Website: www.pixelships.com
--- Ancient DOS Games Webshow: www.pixelships.com/adg

Reply 841 of 3347, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

That took me right back 😀 I really like the first SQ because it was the first Sierra game I did finish when I was a kid (thanks to the help from a hint book at a bookstore which I never purchased but had a look after school whenever I was stuck).

Something I noticed with this video was that I kept getting distracted by the game footage and had to rewind and pay attention to what you are saying.

The thing with the vouchers is interesting and I didn't know about as the game I had as a kid was indeed a copy 😒

There is one puzzle with multiple solutions (the spider robot you can avoid it, or drop a rock on it or lure it into the cave with the monster).

The VGA version also has a magnet at the start of the game which you can use to trick the machine in the bar and win easily).

There are also a few puzzles on the final ship that have choices. At least I do know that you usually don't finish with the max score when beating the game the first time.

And finally the Apple IIgs version is the best. Fantastic stereo music, sound effects and mouse control.

I also didn't know about the "leaving the name blank" thing as I always put in my name 😀

Really enjoyed this video and well done for aspect correcting your footage. So many let's play videos that are stretched 😜

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 842 of 3347, by eL_PuSHeR

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Does anybody know why ADG videos don't show up for me anymore under Firefox? I have even reinstalled FF from scratch to no avail.

It works properly under IE. Running Win7 x86.

I have installed Adobe's plugin but it isn't listed under about:plugins either.

I have updated plugins. No dice.

Oddly enough Season 1 videos work just fine. It's just season 2 ones that fail.

Reply 843 of 3347, by Gemini000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Works for me in Firefox. :/

However, based on your description, I don't think it's a problem with Firefox. You might want to try clearing the cache, or removing Flash entirely and reinstalling it.

Failing that, if you could provide more details about what exactly is going on, I can pass them on to Blip and see what they say.

Things that would be helpful to know is:

* What shows up where the video should, if anything?
* If it's empty space, what happens when you right-click inside it?
* Do the new videos play back fine from http://blip.tv/adg ?
* Flash version, Firefox version, recently installed software?

--- Kris Asick (Gemini)

Reply 844 of 3347, by eL_PuSHeR

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Thanks. Let's see...

Firefox version is 12.0. I have installed it from scratch.

I have used two different Flash versions: 11,2,202,228 and 11,2,202,235 (latest one I think). It made no difference

I am getting an empty space with no way of clicking on it.

If I enter from http://blip.tv/adg/episode-87-space-quest-6166523 IT WORKS.

But not from http://www.pixelships.com/adg/ep0087.html

That's pretty weird.

Reply 846 of 3347, by eL_PuSHeR

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

OK. I fixed it. Not sure how though.

Uninstalled Flash completely. Reinstalled it. Omitted pixelships from my proxy. Cleared all caches/cookies from FF. It's now working... meh.

Lame Flash.

About the video. Nice one and your voice sounds good enough.

Reply 847 of 3347, by Gemini000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The cache can be a source of major frustration. Also, Flash has this very unusual thing going where it stops working properly with certain Flash applications if it's not completely up to date, even if the newest version is only minutes old. Despite being a programmer I haven't the vaguest idea why or even how that makes such a huge difference. >_<;

--- Kris Asick (Gemini)

Reply 848 of 3347, by eL_PuSHeR

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I wish we could get rid of flash for good. Anyway, enough of this. I do not want to hijack this thread.

I remember having started playing Space Quest a long time ago. I never finished it. I found it quite complicated at that time. It was a good adventure as you point out in the video.

Best regards.

Reply 849 of 3347, by rcblanke

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Amazing how my mind keeps repeating the Astro Chicken 'soundtrack' over and over, while watching your '31 horrible ways to die in Space Quest' intro... 😀 That pool of acid can be a real killer! "Let's see that again in slow motion".

Enjoyed watching it, keep 'm coming Kris!

Reply 850 of 3347, by The Gecko

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Worth noting as well, Two Guys from Andromeda are back and trying to make a new Space Adventure (SpaceVenture?) game with Kickstarter funding:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/spacevent … rs-of-space-que

If all else fails, use fire.

Reply 851 of 3347, by Gemini000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I did indeed notice that... but the extreme overuse of Kickstarter to fund new projects nowadays is bothering me so I didn't want to link to it.

Yeah, I know, Kickstarter has its place and that some of these projects may never happen without it, but it really concerns me just how many things are using it to essentially squeeze money out of fans just for a CHANCE to make something. That's really what it comes down to, because if something on Kickstarter reaches it goal, gets started, but then goes overbudget, how do you finish it and give back to the fans you just took from? Ask for MORE money from them? x_x;

Plus, there's some completely pointless stuff on Kickstarter too: Things that shouldn't take more than spare time and hard work for a single individual and shouldn't be on Kickstarter at all. The overuse of Kickstarter concerns me and I don't really want to promote anything on it at the moment.

Just my two cents. Take 'em or leave 'em. :P

--- Kris Asick (Gemini)

Reply 852 of 3347, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I agree and decided that I will purchase the finished games at the full price once completed rather than up-front.

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 853 of 3347, by kolano

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Looking forward to your upcoming episode. Hoping you'll cover both the somewhat copyright infringing early version, as well as the remade 2.0 version.

Eyecandy: Turn your computer into an expensive lava lamp.

Reply 854 of 3347, by The Gecko

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Gemini000 wrote:

Yeah, I know, Kickstarter has its place and that some of these projects may never happen without it, but it really concerns me just how many things are using it to essentially squeeze money out of fans just for a CHANCE to make something. That's really what it comes down to, because if something on Kickstarter reaches it goal, gets started, but then goes overbudget, how do you finish it and give back to the fans you just took from? Ask for MORE money from them? x_x;

You use the principle of "buyer beware" - not all kickstarters are created equal. Tim Schafer's adventure game is a better bet than a complete unknown with an unrealistically low budget and nothing to show for it, because Tim has a working company (doublefine), a history of being able to ship (very, very good) games, and so forth.

The Shadowrun KS is a better bet than your no-name startup, because likewise, Jordan Weisman has a resume of doing things well (Shadowrun, Battletech, Earthdawn) and has a functioning company with products on the market.

And yes, there is nonzero risk in funding a project, but the publishing industry that only funds "sure things" churns out drek like Call of Battlefield: Modern Combat Evolved XVIII - Generic Brown Manshooter Waist-height Cover Edition! And sadly, that seems to be where we're stuck right now.

So you use your brain. You already do this anytime you're making a nontrivial purchase. You don't just go into a car lot and buy the first thing you're offered at sticker price. You don't go to eBay and buy from the guy with terrible grammar and -400 feedback. You buy medication from a reputable pharmacy, not the homeless guy with a bag full of unmarked pills on the street corner.

Gemini000 wrote:

Plus, there's some completely pointless stuff on Kickstarter too: Things that shouldn't take more than spare time and hard work for a single individual and shouldn't be on Kickstarter at all.

"There is some stuff on X that's bad, therefore all stuff on X must be bad" is a pretty weak argument (it's called a composition fallacy).

Gemini000 wrote:

The overuse of Kickstarter concerns me and I don't really want to promote anything on it at the moment.

Just my two cents. Take 'em or leave 'em. 😜

Well, you're certainly entitled to not promote anything you don't want to, but I like to think of KS, where it can be successful, as an alternative to developers having to run through an abusive publisher like EA or Activision, produce things that don't meet strict requirements for maximising profit while minimising price (don't confuse this with "not turning a profit"). Overuse is a red herring - if it's a successful method for self-publishing, of course people will use it. You don't see anyone bemoaning the overuse of "publishers", although there are certainly complaints about the content and conduct from said publishers. But the take-away is that becoming popular or well-recognized doesn't automatically make something bad.

And this system certainly isn't unprecedented in history. If you look back before the era of consolidated commercial publishing, most art was created by means of a patronage arrangement. A wealthy individual would typically sponsor songwriters, artists, composers to create content and entertainment for them.

The rise of crowdfunding reminds me of this - we're seeing a form of a patronage system here, except we're able to apply it to a connected world. We're no longer limited to only nobles and the wealthy being able to afford creative content, since we have a near effortless way for very large numbers of fairly average individuals to converge on a product or producer and effectively create a distributed patronage.

In the end, though, I do think it's worth at least considering each individual proposal as an individual proposal, rather than automatically writing it off under a blanket stereotype that all crowdfunding projects are empty money grabs, and doomed to fail.

Reply 855 of 3347, by Gemini000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
The Gecko wrote:

In the end, though, I do think it's worth at least considering each individual proposal as an individual proposal, rather than automatically writing it off under a blanket stereotype that all crowdfunding projects are empty money grabs, and doomed to fail.

But then why use "Kickstarter" specifically?

This is a big part of what concerns me is that within just a few months, "Kickstarter" has become a buzzword of epic proportions and I can't go anywhere online anymore without someone talking about something that's being "Kickstarted" or that they themselves are "Kickstarting" something.

I specifically said, "I know, Kickstarter has its place and that some of these projects may never happen without it". My problem is with Kickstarter itself, not the people using it or the projects being created through it. No one should have to rely on buzzwords to get a truly good thing going. "Kickstarter" is unfortunately a buzzword now and it urks me whenever I hear it, and I hear it on an almost daily basis. (And yes, even typing it several times in this response bothered me.) x_x;

That said, I'm not a big fan of crowd-funding in general for one very specific reason: If you take out a bank loan to produce a project and it fails, you lose. If you have a crowd of people fund your project and it fails, the crowd loses. It's diverting the loss from yourself to the people who want it to happen, and to me, that kind of thinking is selfish.

Anyways, let's not turn this into a big rant about crowd-funding. Besides, you know where I live and I can already see you pointing your Fusion Particle Masers at me from here. ;D

--- Kris Asick (Gemini)

Reply 856 of 3347, by The Gecko

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Gemini000 wrote:

But then why use "Kickstarter" specifically?

Because that's the name of the crowdfunding service they're using.

Gemini000 wrote:

This is a big part of what concerns me is that within just a few months, "Kickstarter" has become a buzzword of epic proportions and I can't go anywhere online anymore without someone talking about something that's being "Kickstarted" or that they themselves are "Kickstarting" something.

Because that's the name of the crowdfunding service they're using.

Gemini000 wrote:

I specifically said, "I know, Kickstarter has its place and that some of these projects may never happen without it". My problem is with Kickstarter itself, not the people using it or the projects being created through it. No one should have to rely on buzzwords to get a truly good thing going. "Kickstarter" is unfortunately a buzzword now and it urks me whenever I hear it, and I hear it on an almost daily basis. (And yes, even typing it several times in this response bothered me.) x_x;

It's not a buzzword, it's the name of the crowdfunding service they're using. I'm not sure how you could refer to a Kickstarter project, or refer or link people to a Kickstarter project without using the word Kickstarter somewhere.

Kickstarter. Kickstarter. Kickstarter. Kickstarter.
(that last bit was ALL for your benefit!)

Gemini000 wrote:

That said, I'm not a big fan of crowd-funding in general for one very specific reason: If you take out a bank loan to produce a project and it fails, you lose. If you have a crowd of people fund your project and it fails, the crowd loses. It's diverting the loss from yourself to the people who want it to happen, and to me, that kind of thinking is selfish.

The difference is distributed risk. If Two Guys have to take out a $500k+ loan to make their game properly, there's a good chance that IF they couldn't make at least $500k in sales, they would be seriously personally pooched. They can't personally afford that level of risk, so it wouldn't get made.

With crowdfunding, if they don't raise the $500k+ in the first place, the project doesn't even start, nobody loses money. If for some reason, it is funded but never reaches completion, most funders are out two or three days' worth of coffee. That still sucks for the funders, but nobody's going bankrupt and ruining their life over $15 (and if they are, maybe they shouldn't be putting it into crowdfunding?)

Gemini000 wrote:

Anyways, let's not turn this into a big rant about crowd-funding. Besides, you know where I live and I can already see you pointing your Fusion Particle Masers at me from here. ;D

You know, they actually let me play with 12kW transmitters in the 29MHz band? And I think I found an old laser lying around the observatory basement once...

Reply 857 of 3347, by Gemini000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Actually, it's kinda funny how divided we are on the crowd-funding thing. Normally we see things eye to eye... or close enough that it doesn't matter. ^_^;

But yeah, I see your point. It doesn't change my opinion but at least I can understand yours.

Speaking of unpopular opinions though, I'm actually going to be revealing something in Episode 89 that could shock justabout everyone who watches the show. Should be interesting to see how well received it is and if it raises or drops viewership. Quite frankly, I have no idea what's going to happen following, but I'm making sure to approach it as comedy so that no one takes it too seriously. ;)

...and just to quell any rumours that start from me saying that: It has nothing even remotely to do with sex... unless you're a pervert and want to rule 34 it or something. The internet is such a wonderful place. >_>;

--- Kris Asick (Gemini)

Reply 858 of 3347, by The Gecko

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Gemini000 wrote:

...and just to quell any rumours that start from me saying that: It has nothing even remotely to do with sex... unless you're a pervert and want to rule 34 it or something. The internet is such a wonderful place. >_>;

$5 says it's ponies.

Reply 859 of 3347, by VileR

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Gemini: I'm usually much like you in this regard - always dismissive (and mostly suspicious) of whatever the newest internet buzzword happens to be these days. So I know where you're coming from, but in this case I just can't see anything particularly wrong with Kickstarter.

Speaking of unpopular opinions though, I'm actually going to be revealing something in Episode 89 that could shock justabout everyone who watches the show. Should be interesting to see how well received it is and if it raises or drops viewership. Quite frankly, I have no idea what's going to happen following, but I'm making sure to approach it as comedy so that no one takes it too seriously. 😉

Whatever it is, I'm already looking forward to Wolverine_DK's reaction!

[ WEB ] - [ BLOG ] - [ TUBE ] - [ CODE ]