VOGONS

STEAM xmas sales has started!

Topic actions

First post, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I recommend you only buy daily specials and just pick up anything you still want on the last day. That way you don't get "caught out"...

Bad Company 2 for 10 bucks and Prince of Persia Games for 2.50 / 5 bucks today only!

Another I thing I do for these sales is to list all games under 10 bucks and then sort by Meta Score. That way you get all the good games under 10 bucks.

Otherwise there are just to many games to sort through and many aren't that good...

Reply 1 of 44, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The problem with MetaScore for old games is that the scores don't reflect how well the games hold up over time.

For new games, the problem is that publishers attempt to artificially inflate their scores by not sending out review copies to reviewers that are known for not blindly giving positive reviews.

I looked over their xmas sale ad thing. Nothing caught my eye as something that I'd likely get around to anytime in the next year were I to purchase it. I think the only definites for me at this point are:
- Mass Effect 3 (not yet released, and still haven't finished ME2),
- Diablo 3 (not yet released), and
- Fallout: New Vegas when they release a bundle with all of the not-yet-released DLC for under $40 (still haven't finished Fallout 3 - let alone any of its DLC)

Anything else takes a back seat to the million other games I have in progress, including but not limited to:
- Quest for Glory 1 EGA/SCI0
- Baldur's Gate 1 (+TotSC) on laptop
- Descent
- System Shock 1
- Mass Effect 2
- Dragon Age: Origins
- Fallout 3
- Batman: Arkham Asylum

I've been trying to rotate through my "active" games, but I keep throwing new ones onto the top of the stack, and at this point I haven't played the games below ME2 for several months or more.

Reply 2 of 44, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Add the Telltale games to your list if you haven't already. muhahaha more games!

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 3 of 44, by BigBodZod

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
DosFreak wrote:

Add the Telltale games to your list if you haven't already. muhahaha more games!

Already have the ones I wanted like the Tales of Monkey Island series 😉

No matter where you go, there you are...

Reply 4 of 44, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Been trying to avoid those. My excuse so far is that I haven't finished the LucasArts Monkey Island (finished 1 & 2 only) and Sam 'N Max games (played but never finished).

Reply 5 of 44, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Sure the Meta Score isn't perfect but I must say it has worked really well for me. I picked up so many gems last year (Bioshock, Stalker, Splinter Cell Chaos Theory, Dead Space, FarCry, Riddick) and all for under 10 bucks per game!

And you get the bonus of not needing to have the latest machine and / or be able to play it maxed out at 100fps!

I also got the whole Tales of Monkey Island pack, but yea haven't played yet. Still working on Secret Files 2 and then Lost Horizon is next 🤣

Reply 6 of 44, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Forgot to mention that Bioshock was on the list. I picked up it and Red Faction: Guerrilla for $5 at different points this year. I'm a huge fan of waiting until games are super cheap, but I've been setting the threshold pretty high because I have a 25-year backlog of games I want to play 😀

Reply 7 of 44, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I'm very patient also. $10 max rule unless it's a point and click adventure or a multiplayer game (because these you need to play when they are HOT / plenty of players).

Bought these today:

The Deus Ex Collection 2.99 USD
Prince of Persia 4.99 USD
Prince of Persia: Forgotten Sands 4.99 USD

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 8 of 44, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I bought the Deus Ex collection for under $5 a while back, even though I had already beaten them in the past year or two. The first one is just so good that I wanted it on my Steam account :p

Prince of Persia was one of the only fairly tempting deals I saw. Lost interest in the franchise though after Prince of Persia 3D (I think I'm the only person on the planet who even remembers it ever existed) and Sands of Time (me: "woo, I can kill everyone with the same super-move! oh wait, that's boring...").

I agree about timing on multiplayer purchases, although I got L4D 1 & 2 together for a really low price around a month or two ago. Still a fair number of people playing those though.

Reply 9 of 44, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yea and also the "leveling" factor. E.g. if you start BC2 now you will die A LOT. With no good weapons and everyone else has every unlock in the Game 🤣

Die A LOT

My YouTube channel

Reply 11 of 44, by mr_bigmouth_502

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I used to play TF2 quite often, back when people cared about the actual game, though now it's all about those stupid fucking hats. 😜 I still log on every once in a while, but only if my friends are on and there's nothing better to do. 🤣

Reply 12 of 44, by Harekiet

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

Just need to play tf2 on servers that will ban people if they use the word "trade" And the default weapons for the classes i play are still pretty much the best.

Reply 13 of 44, by mr_bigmouth_502

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

My main classes are the Pyro, the Scout, and the Heavy (in other words, anything that's spray n' pray 🤣), and I actually use the alternate weapons with them, though I can definitely see why some people prefer the defaults.

Reply 14 of 44, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

New day, new sales:

I got:

The Witcher
- Resident Evil 5
- Tom Raider Game (only 3.60 if you already own any other Tomb Raider Game)
- Bioshock 2

My YouTube channel

Reply 17 of 44, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

GOG is great, however considering how hold these games are the prices are extremely high! Still at least there is an option to purchase these games.

GOG could need retro packs that give you 10, 25 or 50 classic games in one hit.

My YouTube channel

Reply 18 of 44, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Mau1wurf1977 wrote:

GOG is great, however considering how hold these games are the prices are extremely high! Still at least there is an option to purchase these games.

GOG could need retro packs that give you 10, 25 or 50 classic games in one hit.

Agreed. It does look like they try to throw in a lot of extras and things with a lot of their games, but I haven't been tempted enough to buy anything from them yet.

Edit: Bought The Witcher for $5. I hope it's good. The Penny Arcade guys couldn't stop talking about it for a couple months.

Also, regarding Ultima: I seem to remember that another reason I lost interest was that some of them use a high-res CGA composite mode not supported by DOSBox.