VOGONS

First post, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Since this is turning out to be a series and with the release of a new episode, I felt I should start a new thread in this section.

Newest episode number 15: Descent on Nvidia NV1, 3DFX and DOS software

API(s) in this episode:
NVLib
Glide
Software

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_4l_2Bqbi9Q

Previous episodes:

• Episode 1 - Indycar Racing II - Rendition Speedy3D vs SVGA Software
    Episode 2- SODA Offroad Racing - Rendition Redline vs DirectDraw software
    Episode 3- Whiplash / Fatal Racing - 3DFX/Rendition/S3 Virge/SVGA Software
    Episode 4- Virtua Cop - Nvidia NV1 vs DirectDraw software
    Episode 5 - NASCAR Racing - Nvidia NV1/Matrox Millennium/SVGA software
    Episode 6 - HAVOC - S3 Virge vs DirectDraw software
    Episode 7 - POD - 3DFX/PowerVR/ATI RAGE/S3 Virge/Direct3D/DirectDraw software
    Episode 8 - Resident Evil - PowerVR/Direct3D & Playstation
    Episode 9 - Destruction Derby - S3 Virge vs DirectDraw software
    Episode 10 - Assault Rigs - ATICIF & Software
    Episode 11 - Mechwarrior 2: 31st Century Combat - 3DFX/PowerVR/ATI RAGE/S3 Virge/Matrox Mystique
    Episode 12 - Wipeout - ATICIF, software & Rage I/II/Pro
    Episode 13 - Battle Arena Toshinden - 3D Blaster/3DFX/Matrox Mystique/NV1 & SVGA
    Episode 14 - Rave Racer on PowerVR **SPECIAL**
Last edited by vetz on 2013-03-03, 20:41. Edited 15 times in total.

3D Accelerated Games List (Proprietary APIs - No 3DFX/Direct3D)
3D Acceleration Comparison Episodes

Reply 1 of 45, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Finally back from a short vacation. New episode: HAVOC

API(s) in this comparison:
S3D
DirectDraw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SM7Wx4tteVQ

Reply 3 of 45, by Svenne

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hehe, this is really nice. It's interesting to see side-by-side comparisons of what these cards were capable of, and also I'd say that this helps when choosing the right card for your games.
Also, I like how the hardware-accelerated NV1-version of Virtua Cop looks far worse than the software version, not to mention it runs at a lower resolution. Who thought it would be a good idea to release that? Sure, it might help offload weak CPU's, but wouldn't simply turning down the game detail do the same thing?

Intel C2D 2.8 GHz @ 3.0 GHz | ASUS P5KPL | ASUS GTS250 1 GB | 4GB DDR2-800 | 500 GB SATA | Win 7 Pro/Ubuntu 9.10

Reply 4 of 45, by MaxWar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

hehehe, S3D ftw!! 😁

A while ago a tried to get good FPS in Terminal Velocity with S3D. Problem is it will not work well with the newer S3D cards, It always had glitches unless i used the original virge, even with all the patches. I tried overclocking the crap out of the virge and it sure helps but its still not butter smooth :p

FM sound card comparison on a Grand Scale!!
The Grand OPL3 Comparison Run.

Reply 5 of 45, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
MaxWar wrote:

hehehe, S3D ftw!! 😁

A while ago a tried to get good FPS in Terminal Velocity with S3D. Problem is it will not work well with the newer S3D cards, It always had glitches unless i used the original virge, even with all the patches. I tried overclocking the crap out of the virge and it sure helps but its still not butter smooth :p

Hmm, I don't recall having any glitches when trying Terminal Velocity on my S3 Virge DX card. I have not tried the patched retail version, but the OEM version. Maybe there is a difference? Still need S3DTOOL to make the game run on the DX. I plan to do a video on this game at some point, and then I'll try out the patched version too to see if there is glitches or not 😀

Working on the next video, will probably be POD, but it is quite some work, as it runs on Glide, S3D, SGL, ATI RAGE and also Direct3D along with software mode. It is alot of footage to capture and edit. Can tell you that I prefer Glide and D3D the most and S3D mode runs in a good FPS which is quite surprising.

Reply 6 of 45, by MaxWar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
vetz wrote:
MaxWar wrote:

hehehe, S3D ftw!! 😁

Hmm, I don't recall having any glitches when trying Terminal Velocity on my S3 Virge DX card. I have not tried the patched retail version, but the OEM version. Maybe there is a difference? Still need S3DTOOL to make the game run on the DX. I plan to do a video on this game at some point, and then I'll try out the patched version too to see if there is glitches or not 😀

Now that i think about it, maybe i tested this stuff on a P4, which is not exactly period accurate... In retrospective could very well be the source of the glitches i experienced. Ill have to revisit this one someday, i have quite a bunch of virge cards in storage.

FM sound card comparison on a Grand Scale!!
The Grand OPL3 Comparison Run.

Reply 8 of 45, by RoyBatty

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yeah these tests are very cool, subbed.

Would like to see a MechWarrior 2: 31st Century Combat and Mercenaries comparisons, since a lot of different cards got special versions. Also dos vs pentium edition versus windows 95 versions. So many versions of these games.

Reply 9 of 45, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Would like to see a MechWarrior 2: 31st Century Combat and Mercenaries comparisons, since a lot of different cards got special versions. Also dos vs pentium edition versus windows 95 versions. So many versions of these games.

Would love to do these versions! It will happen someday, it is on my list, but it takes alot of work.

I started with POD for the new episode and thought it would be less difficult and time consuming that it was. The Direct3D versions are glitchy and picky with drivers/cards so I had some trouble trying to get it to run properly.

I'm editing the episode now. It will be a bit longer than normally. Here is a screenshot of the intro with all the cards, resolutions and APIs for the game as a teaser.

Hope there's a PCX2 in the collection for future episodes somewhere B)

hehe, I love the PCX2 for capturing, never any problems with games tested so far 😉 It's making its debut in the next episode.

Attachments

Reply 10 of 45, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

New episode: POD

Glide
SGL
ATICIF
S3D
Direct3D
DirectDraw

http://youtu.be/DU5Zi69QPQs

Next game will most likely be Resident Evil with comparison between Direct3D, PowerVR and software.

Reply 11 of 45, by WolverineDK

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

vetz: You are doing a magnificent job. Now I am just wondering, if you are thinking of some kind of Mech Warrior 3D card comparison video (which hopefully will be a bit longer), with the insane amount of different versions of that graphics cards enhanced game. Unless that is an impossibility , because of the lack of game variations. Also I seem to remember and old thread about the MANY different versions of that game to the cards, and there was even a link to a site where it had pictures of the different versions.
Also I must point out, that I can not remember which MW game it was. That had an amazing amount of different graphics card versions.

Reply 13 of 45, by WolverineDK

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
F2bnp wrote:

Dude, he spoke about that just a couple of posts above.

Dude ! ! !

Okay, I got it, it is MW2.

Remember to shove what is nagging you a bit harder. Cause it seems to slip out every now and then, from your rear.

vetz: you are doing a great job !

Reply 14 of 45, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
vetz wrote:
New episode: POD […]
Show full quote

New episode: POD

Glide
SGL
ATICIF
S3D
Direct3D
DirectDraw

http://youtu.be/DU5Zi69QPQs

YES! Thank you thank you thank you! 😁

You may want to document everything you did to fiddle with the Direct3D and so on sometim, I remember POD to be a real bitch-and-a-half to get going right. 3dfx was the way to play though..

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto

Reply 15 of 45, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Stiletto wrote:

You may want to document everything you did to fiddle with the Direct3D and so on sometim, I remember POD to be a real bitch-and-a-half to get going right. 3dfx was the way to play though..

I had no problems getting the Voodoo cards to run both the Direct3D versions. They also ran on the S3 Virge and the ATI Rage Pro, but on the Virge the framerate wasn't exactly good. On the PowerVR I never got any of the versions even started and I didn't fiddle much with it.

My main work was done with the Geforce 4 MX as my plan was to run it with 4x AA and 2x AF. I only got it running in the end on the DirectX3 patch., though only with drivers; 53.04 and 77.72 (56.64 and 71.84 probably also works). Anything else and it would refuse to either start or it would crash when the race was loading. For the DirectX5 I got a crash to desktop nomatter what I tried. I even booted up in Windows 95 to see if there were any difference, but here I never managed to get anything running on the Geforce 4 MX.

All in all the DirectX3 seems to be an accelerated version of the ATI, S3D and DD draw versions, but it has alot of glitches. The DirectX5 seems to be based on the Glide patch as they look very much alike, especially if you look on the skybackgrounds.

And as you say, 3DFX is the way to go for this game. To enable 800x600 for 3DFX, go to ubi.ini in the C:/Windows/Ubisoft folder. Find the Displaymode value, or add it yourself under the [POD2_0] heading. Set it to Displaymode=6.

Reply 16 of 45, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

New episode: Resident Evil

PowerSGL
Direct3D

and some footage from the Playstation version.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u2LVfam6w1o

Reply 17 of 45, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

New episode: Destruction Derby

API(s) in this episode:
S3 Virge
Software

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DFVcYvOvCrs

Next episode will most likely be Tomb Raider with 3DFX, PowerVR, S3 Virge, Rendition, ATI Rage and Matrox Mystique 😀

Reply 18 of 45, by YCH

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
WolverineDK wrote:
Dude ! ! ! […]
Show full quote
F2bnp wrote:

Dude, he spoke about that just a couple of posts above.

Dude ! ! !

Okay, I got it, it is MW2.

Remember to shove what is nagging you a bit harder. Cause it seems to slip out every now and then, from your rear.

vetz: you are doing a great job !

26921147.jpg