VOGONS

Winamp is Dead

Topic actions

First post, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Not entirely unexpected, I guess, but still something of a surprise.

Get it while you can.

http://arstechnica.com/business/2013/11/after … inamp-for-good/

Reply 1 of 47, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Any efforts on archiving the skin and plugin database? Some of them go wayyyyyyy back and Winamp's site are the only place to find them. We can't lose those to the mists of time like we've let the loss of desktop themes and screensavers happen!

Last edited by leileilol on 2013-11-22, 19:11. Edited 1 time in total.

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 6 of 47, by VileR

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

It might just be in line for a fate worse than death: http://techcrunch.com/2013/11/21/source-micro … inamp-from-aol/

[ WEB ] - [ BLOG ] - [ TUBE ] - [ CODE ]

Reply 7 of 47, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Robin4 wrote:

How do you want to back-up those?? Seems to me thats very hard to do.

It's relatively simple to write a crawler that will get the job done. People backed up GeoCities, after all.

Reply 8 of 47, by Reckless

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
VileRancour wrote:

It might just be in line for a fate worse than death: http://techcrunch.com/2013/11/21/source-micro … inamp-from-aol/

Not sure why Microsoft would want to spend any money on this.

Sad news but in reality Winamp all but died some years back. As long as it keeps working I'll still be using 😀

Reply 9 of 47, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Yes, news about Winamp (and there were few) all seemed to be about a good old friend that you spent great time together but got stuck in that past and never grew up 😉
That it dies now is no big loss IMHO.

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 11 of 47, by jwt27

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I would say good riddance, if it weren't for the fact that I completely depend on it... It's a pretty bad program in many ways, the interface is ugly, I hate the way it sorts my files and it crashes very often (especially if you have any plugins installed). But try naming one other program that can play all these exotic audio formats.

Wishful thinking here... Would be amazing if it went open-source. That way we might finally see some bugs disappear. But if MS gets to say anything about it, I don't see that happening anytime soon.

Reply 12 of 47, by VileR

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
F2bnp wrote:

I always use Winamp, I have no idea what you're talking about.

What music players do you guys use?

Winamp. ;)
My requirements from an audio player are pretty modest - support most formats I can think of, have a playlist function, and don't hog up my resources with useless crap.

Reply 14 of 47, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

I turned my back on Winamp when it couldn't keep up with a large music library. iTunes could and then there was the issue of filling my ipod which that plugin screwed up all the time ;(
And then I turned my back on Windows ... 😉

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 15 of 47, by Reckless

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

That has surely been the problem for Winamp [and similar players of the time] - there's a large amount of users who are led to the lock-in of Apple's ecosystem because of the hardware. I've never felt the need to have anything to manage my music.

Reply 17 of 47, by bristlehog

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I moved from Winamp to Foobar2000 several years ago. I don't know what exotic formats Winamp is able to play that Foobar2000 is unable to. However, I can think of Winamp strong sides. For instance, it can play all the variety of MIDI files (MID, XMI, HMI/HMP, MUS etc.) directly on a compatible hadware. Foobar2000 (in fact, kode54's FooMIDI plugin) also understands lots of exotic MIDIs, but is limited to emulation engines for playback.

Hardware comparisons and game system requirements: https://technical.city

Reply 18 of 47, by VileR

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Reckless wrote:

I've never felt the need to have anything to manage my music.

+1
I use my filesystem for that - find "artist\year. release", drag folder, hit play. Even in Winamp I never found a use for anything "library" related.

Reply 19 of 47, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
VileRancour wrote:
Reckless wrote:

I've never felt the need to have anything to manage my music.

+1
I use my filesystem for that - find "artist\year. release", drag folder, hit play. Even in Winamp I never found a use for anything "library" related.

Ditto here, too. There is little that a catalog has to offer me that I cannot easily do with the file system. Many of those are too heavy handed or bloated for my tastes, including iTunes.

The Sierra Help Pages -- New Sierra Game Installers -- Sierra Game Patches -- New Non-Sierra Game Installers