PX player: play MID and XMI files under DOS

Schedules and announcements about program releases.

Re: PX: a versatile MIDI player

Postby bristlehog » 2019-1-23 @ 08:27

Logg wrote:
bristlehog wrote:It turns out that this driver doesn't support any configuration (it effectively ignores any config parameters passed). Thus, only default configuration is supported

I found this quote from 4 years ago, and I think this applies to the SBP2FM driver as well? I made a SBP2FM.CFG in the same directory as SBP2FM.ADV, and when I run the command "PX DEMO.XMI SBP2FM.ADV" it ignores the I/O address I put in SBP2FM.CFG and fails to initialize.

No, it doesn't apply to SBP2FM.
Hardware comparisons and game system requirements: https://technical.city
bristlehog
Oldbie

Re: PX player: play MID and XMI files under DOS

Postby Gernot66 » 2019-5-21 @ 23:58

bristlehog

A big hug from me, i was searching the web up and down for a player which i can use in a batch plays midi (xmi) via the various virtual boards in DOSBox, outputs nothing if i redirect to NUL and whatever else, it's just great for the use i've planned.
Mainly for a purpose like this:

https://youtu.be/FJLdTGmpvP4

Of course it's useless rubbish (the sound selection) but i like it. (it's just to distract me for some time from working on my models, every now and then i need a pause from that)
Foremost it allows me now to use only one player and i can even playback via SBFM to have an impression how it will sound in the game, this i missed most even when it sounds tard and i will probably never play the game in this way if there are better sounding configurations.

Intentionally i just liked to make a couple of midi comparison clips to show off the differences between lousy MSWS, astonishing GUS and the use of a recent wavetable soundfont. But it turned out to this what you see in my clip even if that is only useful to capture it. Settlers i will play via GUS anyway the sometimes quite large soundfonts aren't bad but less balanced as GUS. Other games using the virtual midi synth it depends on which i like best for the game there would be no need to select a different soundboard.

Just one thing i like to ask, does it return an errorlevel if i break using ESC?
That would be fine because then i can even return to the previous screen.

But i can check this myself no problem.

Priama commander bristlehog

---

"Phoenix" former "Sputnik" ;)
Gernot66

Postby Gernot66 » 2019-6-03 @ 22:33

Any reason why "GMT32MPU.ADV" isn't included?
It's not exactly like "MT32MPU" and specifically ment for the Roland LAPC-1.
I found this driver in SimCity Classic (might be used by other games as well)
For SimCity Classic (and it's limited music) it's a matter of choice when you run it emulated which you prefere, both sound well but different.

Thanks to "PX" i stumbled over some weird old MIDI from "Space 1889", the game only supports PC speaker / Covox and if you play back the "ROL" usually they have only Piano as instrument, using PX you can hear how they was ment to sound (strange - the files are in the zip below).

GMT32MPU.zip
(23.85 KiB) Downloaded 17 times

The bankfile used for the conversion from ROL to MID could have an effect but played back else it still only plays piano chords.
However the music in the game sounds like the conversions as far as you can compare a speaker output to music.
Of course they was never ment to be played back via soundcard (resp. plays them back only via speaker) but it must have been sequenced as and only using the miles sound drivers they sound correct.
Gernot66

Postby bristlehog » 2019-11-06 @ 09:29

Gernot66 wrote:Any reason why "GMT32MPU.ADV" isn't included?

Because I never heard of it. Are there any improvements over MT32MPU?
Hardware comparisons and game system requirements: https://technical.city
bristlehog
Oldbie

Postby Mok » 2019-11-07 @ 07:54

bristlehog wrote:
Gernot66 wrote:Any reason why "GMT32MPU.ADV" isn't included?

Because I never heard of it. Are there any improvements over MT32MPU?

AFAIR this is a simple GM->MT32 remapper. No extra instruments at all.

Gernot66 wrote:Thanks to "PX" i stumbled over some weird old MIDI from "Space 1889", the game only supports PC speaker / Covox and if you play back the "ROL" usually they have only Piano as instrument, using PX you can hear how they was ment to sound (strange - the files are in the zip below).

This is not true. Very early adlib games required external SOUND.COM to be launched before starting the game. The ROL files are normal adlib sequences with instruments stored inside STANDARD.BNK as usual.
Mok

Previous

Return to Release Announcements