First post, by gerwin
Doom MBF (Marine's Best Friend)
MBF is a Doom source port, created by Lee Killough, after he left the Boom team. Latest MBF source and executable release by Killough is v2.03 from 1/8/1999.
IMO This port is interesting for retro gaming because it:
- is a conservative port which retains the original Doom look and Feel.
- plays the stock Demos.
- runs any stock Doom IWad: Doom 1, Doom 2 etc. It can render complex maps, like NRFTL.
- was always aimed at DOS.
- supports 640x400 'high resolution', which reduces the pixelated look of Doom.
- is generally solid programming, with the source being used for several later windows ports.
The only real downsides compared to the original doom are:
- OPL3 FM timbres sound a little different. --> Fixed in v2.04!
- Generally the original Doom is 25% faster on 486s, because of the planar video Mode-X usage.
*fast forward to 2014*
I (Gerwin) worked on this MBF source a little in 2013+2014. First to just improve reliability. But later to add features for benchmarking. Most benchmarking tools have an emphasis on pentium instructions and linear frame buffer video access. Others tend to "overflow" on faster systems, when framerate is larger then anticipated. MBF is still 486 friendly, with minimal use of the FPU. On the other hand it runs fine on a Core 'Ivy bridge' System.
I took the liberty of just calling this MBF v2.04, instead of branching it to another name/project.
NOTABLE NEW THINGS IN v2.04
- Plays demos from the classic v1.2 version of Doom. Credits to the PrBoom authors for the necessary code.
- At least 10% better performance compared to MBF v2.03.
- Tolerant to running within Windows NT/2000/XP.
- Use the super shotgun in Doom 1, with parameter "-ssg -file ssg.wad", combined with "-unlock" in case of shareware.
- Parameters "-stdvid" and "-bestvid" for benchmarking under comparable game settings.
- FPS counter option (run a timedemo to unlock the 35 FPS framerate cap).
- Authentic FM music.
- Improved sound driver setup, with Doom theme.
- Added WSS, GUS PnP, ESS and Soundscape drivers. Improved Sound Blaster 2.0/Pro and MPU-401 driver.
- Reliable video initialization and access, independent from Allegro.
- Startup console similar to classic Doom.
- Imported many bugfixes from different sources.
Doom MBF v2.04: binaries + Shareware wad
Doom MBF v2.04 with additional fixes by crvs (Recommended. Merge with the above, but delete old .cfg files)
Doom MBF v2.04: Source
Included is a version history document: MBFUP204.txt
All the original 2.03 documents can be found in the included DOCS folder.
Some more background info on this project: Doom in DOS: Original vs Source Ports
--> ISA Soundcard Overview // Doom MBF 2.04 // SetMul