VOGONS

Reply 300 of 781, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

10 Roland MT-32 Games #1

In this video I have captured and recorded 10 games that I played as a young snapper. At the time I had a Sound Blaster and always dreamt of how the Roland MT-32 would sound like.

At around 2008 I finally purchased a Roland MT-32 and could listen to these games, but this time with the mighty Roland MT-32 in full action.

In this video you can listen to Wing Commander II, Red Baron, Code Name ICEMAN, Heart of China, Lotus III, Operation Stealth / The Stealth Affair, Monkey Island 2, Willy Beamish and Strike Commander

YouTube, Facebook, Website

Reply 301 of 781, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Thanks, Phil. That was fun. There was a period during this time that my brother let me use his MT-32 and I fondly remember the music from WC2 and Strike Commander in your video. The Ultima Underworld series also had excellent MT-32 support. Cheers!

The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know.
OPL3 FM vs. Roland MT-32 vs. General MIDI DOS Game Comparison
Let's benchmark our systems with cache disabled
DOS PCI Graphics Card Benchmarks

Reply 302 of 781, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
clueless1 wrote:

Thanks, Phil. That was fun. There was a period during this time that my brother let me use his MT-32 and I fondly remember the music from WC2 and Strike Commander in your video. The Ultima Underworld series also had excellent MT-32 support. Cheers!

Great that you liked it 😀

Reply 303 of 781, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Waveblaster Interface Board Review

This is a video review and demonstration of the waveblaster interface board from Serdaco. It lets you use any waveblaster / wavetable board and connect it externally to a MIDI interface on a sound card or USB MIDI interface.

This is very handy if your sound card doesn't have a wavetable header or if you want to play emulated games through DOSBox or ScummVM.

In this video I will provide an overview of the unit, the connectors, how to connect everything together, pricing, jumpers and much more. There are also audio recordings of some DOS games with General MIDI music featuring the DreamBlaster X1 on this wavetable interface board.

This is basically how it works:

Y2UWlAJl.jpg

Reply 304 of 781, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The 3dfx Voodoo 2 SLI sleeper PC

In this video I am building a 3dfx Voodoo II SLI sleeper PC. Unassuming and innocent looking from the outside, but turn it on and retro gaming goodness will rush through your brain!

Reply 305 of 781, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Driver Booster review

Stiletto advised me to check out Driver Booster a while ago, so I did!

I'm quite good at finding drivers and got a good driver archive on my home server, but for downgrading notebooks to Windows XP or if you're in a hurry, Driver Booster saves a lot of hassle and time.

It basically scans your hardware and then offers download and installation of drivers. I tried several machines and it works very well 😀

Last edited by PhilsComputerLab on 2016-02-25, 22:47. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 306 of 781, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
PhilsComputerLab wrote:
Driver Booster review […]
Show full quote

Driver Booster review

Stiletto advised me to check out Driver Booster a while ago, so I did!

I'm quite good at finding drivers and got a good driver archive on my home server, but for downgrading notebooks to Windows XP or if you're in a hurry, Driver Booster saves a lot of hassle and time.

It basically scans your hardware and then offers download and installation of drivers. I tried several machines and it works very well 😀

My name in lights! 😁 🤣

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto

Reply 307 of 781, by xjas

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Hey Phil,
how do you get your "super white" backdrops? Could you post a pic of your filming setup?

Just curious 😀

twitch.tv/oldskooljay - playing the obscure, forgotten & weird - most Tuesdays & Thursdays @ 6:30 PM PDT. Bonus streams elsewhen!

Reply 308 of 781, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
xjas wrote:

Hey Phil,
how do you get your "super white" backdrops? Could you post a pic of your filming setup?

Just curious 😀

I don't use any backdrops. The table I use is white though.

Reply 309 of 781, by b_rros

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
PhilsComputerLab wrote:

In this video I am building a 3dfx Voodoo II SLI sleeper PC. Unassuming and innocent looking from the outside, but turn it on and retro gaming goodness will rush through your brain!

Hi Phil, I know it will probably be to much work but, any chance of getting a list of the games played in this video?

Thanks

Reply 310 of 781, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
b_rros wrote:
PhilsComputerLab wrote:

Hi Phil, I know it will probably be to much work but, any chance of getting a list of the games played in this video?

Thanks

They should be in the video description!

Reply 311 of 781, by b_rros

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
PhilsComputerLab wrote:
b_rros wrote:
PhilsComputerLab wrote:

Thanks

They should be in the video description!

Oh! There they are 😊
What game is the NASCAR one?

And thanks again

Reply 312 of 781, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
b_rros wrote:

Oh! There they are 😊
What game is the NASCAR one?

And thanks again

That is NASCAR Racing 3!

Reply 313 of 781, by xjas

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
PhilsComputerLab wrote:
xjas wrote:

Hey Phil,

Just curious 😀

I don't use any backdrops. The table I use is white though.

Hah, interesting ... wouldn't have expected that. What do you use for lighting?

twitch.tv/oldskooljay - playing the obscure, forgotten & weird - most Tuesdays & Thursdays @ 6:30 PM PDT. Bonus streams elsewhen!

Reply 314 of 781, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
xjas wrote:

Hah, interesting ... wouldn't have expected that. What do you use for lighting?

Yea it's nothing fancy, everything I do is self taught, pretty much by watching YouTube videos 😁 I'm learning new things all the time and that's what makes this hobby so interesting, at least for me.

For the lights, I got two soft box lights from eBay.

Reply 315 of 781, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Intel vs AMD S1E2 - nForce2 joins the fight

Welcome to episode 2 of Intel vs AMD.

In the previous video, two iconic processors squared off against each other: Intel'sPentium 4 3.2 GHz and AMD's Athlon XP 3200+. Intel won the fight, but the war continues.

I received a lot of comments to use a nForce2 chipset motherboard instead of one with a VIA KT600, so that's what this video is about.

I am also using fast CL2 memory from Corsair in dual channel configuration.

Motherboard is the Abit NFS-7 and I am using the same graphics card from the previous video: Nvidia's GeForce 6600 GT.

With the power of nForce, can the XP 3200+ beat the Pentium 4? I have benchmarked 3DMark 2001 SE, AquaMark 3, Codecreatures Pro, Doom 3, Serious Sam Second Encounter and F.E.A.R.

Enjoy this video!

Reply 316 of 781, by Tiger433

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Can you compare that PIV to Athlon64 3200+ on Socket 754 or Socket 939, and use ATI videocard ? I hardly believe in that, I saw years ago that Athlon 2500+ Barton was far faster than PIV 2.8 on ASUS P4P800SE.

W7 "retro" PC: ASUS P8H77-V, Intel i3 3240, 8 GB DDR3 1333, HD6850, 2 x 500 GB HDD
Retro 98SE PC: MSI MS-6511, AMD Athlon XP 2000+, 512 MB RAM, ATI Rage 128, 80GB HDD
My Youtube channel

Reply 317 of 781, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Tiger433 wrote:

Can you compare that PIV to Athlon64 3200+ on Socket 754 or Socket 939, and use ATI videocard ? I hardly believe in that, I saw years ago that Athlon 2500+ Barton was far faster than PIV 2.8 on ASUS P4P800SE.

Athlon 64 will definitely feature in the near future!

Reply 318 of 781, by Kodai

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I love the little AMD and Intel logo space fight scene! BTW, I noticed in the video's comments section that you were thinking about RDRAM tests. If you do that, don't forget to test things other than games. Try some Office apps as well as media stuff like video and music apps. There are some things that RDRAM does better than SDRAM and most 1st gen DDR, but not many, and games on the X86 is one of the things it does poorly. It was the ram of choice for many consoles like the SNES, and when a system is designed to use it correctly, it does offer great performance in games. The PC ain't one of those systems, 🤣.

Reply 319 of 781, by Darkman

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Tiger433 wrote:

it depends on what games and applications are running.

I suspect that later games might have more P4 and SSE2 optimization, hence the boost in performance . I mean , by that point , devs had no choice but to optimize code for Netburst since it was the market leader (despite not being the superior product)