VOGONS

Reply 1440 of 1699, by Falcosoft

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
dj.ti wrote on 2023-05-07, 15:05:

Hi

I have small sugestions to "BassMidiVsti.dll". I'ts possible to add option for XG standard and add more than five banks or add them dynamically ? Now only works GS standard. If I change LSB on midi out i see greyed label out and nothing change in banks.

Best Regards

Hi,
1.a. If you right click on the first aid like Reset button on the right hand side of the user interface you can select 'XG' as mode. Then push the Reset button. This will set Bassmidi to XG mode. But this mode actually can cure only XG drum channel problems (it allows you to apply XG style drum channel selection by settings Bank MSB to 127).

BassmidiVsti_XG.png
Filename
BassmidiVsti_XG.png
File size
69.78 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

1.b. The underlying Bassmidi library does not support full XG compatibility. This is partly because the SF2 soundfont format itself is not XG comaptible at all. While theoretically you can create a full SC-55 GS implementation with a soundfont (I mean the full program/bank combinations) you cannot implement even the XG Lite standard with a soundfont. The reason is the limitation of SF2 format itself. Soundfonts are tightly linked to GS and they can only use 128 banks that are usually addressable by Bank MSB. XG requires Bank MSB+LSB addressing (so 16384 possible banks) and uses Bank LSB for variation tones.
Overall if you want to play with XG tunes you should forget soundfonts and use S-YXG50 VSTi plugin instead.

2. It could be added, but in case of a VSTi plugin it does not make much sense since you can have as many Bassmidi VSTi instances loaded to a project in your DAW as you like. And all of them can use a different soundfont configuration. So instead of using a single Bassmidi VSTi instance that loads multiple soundfonts to different banks you can use the same number of Bassmidi VSTi instances as your soundfonts and configure each of them for a single bank.

Website, Facebook, Youtube
Falcosoft Soundfont Midi Player + Munt VSTi + BassMidi VSTi
VST Midi Driver Midi Mapper

Reply 1441 of 1699, by dj.ti

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thank you for your quick response 😀

The reason I asked about the ability to change LSB banks is because MidiPlayer has such an option, that is, after setting the XG mode, I can have a manual option to change LSB having sf2 bank loaded with MSB and PC. In Bass Midi Settings there is a switch "Use Bank LSB" which gives such an option to control sound fonts with MSB-LSB-PC set. Therefore, if it would be possible to do so in the plug-in "BassMidiVsti.dll" it would be great 😀 For this I would need a dynamic list with banks because theoretically I can have 128x128 MSBxLSB combinations.

Best Reagards

Reply 1442 of 1699, by Falcosoft

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
dj.ti wrote on 2023-05-07, 17:44:

Thank you for your quick response 😀

The reason I asked about the ability to change LSB banks is because MidiPlayer has such an option, that is, after setting the XG mode, I can have a manual option to change LSB having sf2 bank loaded with MSB and PC. In Bass Midi Settings there is a switch "Use Bank LSB" which gives such an option to control sound fonts with MSB-LSB-PC set. Therefore, if it would be possible to do so in the plug-in "BassMidiVsti.dll" it would be great 😀 For this I would need a dynamic list with banks because theoretically I can have 128x128 MSBxLSB combinations.

Best Reagards

In Midi Player multiple slots and 'Use LSB' option have much more sense since you can have onle 1 active soundfont configuration. And in Midi Player the 'Use LSB' option is for a setup that can be achieved in a DAW with BassMidi Vsti without such a setup.
Namely even in Midi Player you cannot get full XG compatibility regardless 'Use LSB' is active or not. In Midi Player 'Use LSB' mode is for completely independent full GS implementations such as SC-55 map, SC-88 map, SC-88Pro map in later SC devices (like SC-8820). You can easily achieve the same with multiple Bassmidi VSTi instances when you load full GS implementations to different instances.
When 'Use LSB' mode is not active in Midi Player the banks (in this case bank MSBs) are meant for variation tone overrides (the same way as SB hardware SF2 synths and Creative's Soundfont Manager work), not for complete GS soundfonts. BassMidi VSTi is always in this mode in order to achieve best compatibility with classic SB SF2 hardware. And Midi Player's 'Use LSB' mode can be achieved by separate instances.

BTW, multiple bank slots are not free. I have to iterate through all of them to calculate the active preset/program/instrument for a channel. So while it is theoretically true that you can have 128*128 banks, in practice this is not a viable option. In practice I have never met a Midi+SF2 demo that used more than 2 soundfonts at once (usually a main bank + 1 variation bank). You can select any Bank numbers for variations but you cannot use all of them at once for performance reasons.

Reply 1443 of 1699, by pumahane999

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello ! How do I get in contact with you regarding Bassmidi ? Would really like to use this program - but as soon as I visit your website - it say I can connect because it is not secure - I´ve tried everything - but it is totaly impossible to reach your site - any suggestions ?

Reply 1444 of 1699, by Falcosoft

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
pumahane999 wrote on 2023-05-08, 06:59:

Hello ! How do I get in contact with you regarding Bassmidi ? Would really like to use this program - but as soon as I visit your website - it say I can connect because it is not secure - I´ve tried everything - but it is totaly impossible to reach your site - any suggestions ?

Try with https. That is:
https://falcosoft.hu/

Reply 1445 of 1699, by Falcosoft

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
DOSShark wrote on 2023-05-05, 15:56:
Hello and thanks for the nice software you wrote. Id like to ask if it would be possible to have more than 4 VST slots. Id like […]
Show full quote

Hello and thanks for the nice software you wrote.
Id like to ask if it would be possible to have more than 4 VST slots. Id like to add some more visualisation plugins. These slots could be used just to have spectrum analyzers running or peak meters.
These visualisation plugins would only need input and their output could be ignored because they dont really change the audio.

Thanks for your time 😀.

OK, I have added 4 more effect slots. Please, test it and report back:
https://falcosoft.hu/midiplayer_62_test.zip

Reply 1446 of 1699, by stu_e_hughes

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi everyone. Apologies for hijacking this thread but maybe you could point me in the right direction. I'm trying to get a basic MIDI setup going in Dosbox-x. I've successfully setup Sound Canvas VA with Falcosoft's MIDI player and it works great for SC-55 stuff.

I just want to get other MIDI options added to the Falcosoft player though so I can also emulate MT-32, Yamaha etc and be able to switch between them for my DOS gaming. Ideally all through Falcosoft's MIDI player if possible?

The only problem is I can't find any guides of what to do or where to get the necessary software. I have obtained ROM files for the MT-32.

Many thanks!!!

Reply 1447 of 1699, by Falcosoft

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
stu_e_hughes wrote on 2023-05-10, 09:27:
Hi everyone. Apologies for hijacking this thread but maybe you could point me in the right direction. I'm trying to get a basic […]
Show full quote

Hi everyone. Apologies for hijacking this thread but maybe you could point me in the right direction. I'm trying to get a basic MIDI setup going in Dosbox-x. I've successfully setup Sound Canvas VA with Falcosoft's MIDI player and it works great for SC-55 stuff.

I just want to get other MIDI options added to the Falcosoft player though so I can also emulate MT-32, Yamaha etc and be able to switch between them for my DOS gaming. Ideally all through Falcosoft's MIDI player if possible?

The only problem is I can't find any guides of what to do or where to get the necessary software. I have obtained ROM files for the MT-32.

Many thanks!!!

Hi,
Since Munt VSTi (MT-32 emulation) is integrated into Midi Player's package you only have to download S-YXG50 VSTi plugin separately to have a GM/GS/XG/MT-32 setup.
Munt VSTi can be found in Midi Player's own VST\MuntVsti folder. S-YXG50 VSTi can be downloaded from here:
https://veg.by/en/projects/syxg50/
For GM/GS you can also use SF2 soundfonts (Bassmidi is also inegrated).
Then you should configure each plugin and save the configuration as a Configuration Preset. If you are ready you can switch between presets manually or even from DosBox with the help of SysEx messages. More info:
Re: Falcosoft Soundfont Midi Player + Munt VSTi + BassMidi VSTi
Re: Ways to make your MT-32 MIDIs sound right

In order to use SysEx switching you can download prepared files from here:
https://www.philscomputerlab.com/uploads/3/7/ … 621/midiemu.zip

Some How-to videos from Phil:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zRyPjvbDkvg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vSk9S1bkRS8

Reply 1448 of 1699, by DOSShark

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks for your quick reply about the additional vst slots. Cant wait for your new release 😀.
At the risk of sounding greedy - would it be hard to have the number of plugin slots dynamic? So users can choose e.g. 1-99 plugins?
I dont know if you treat these slots as objects in your programming code with an input / output stream which just would need to be connected by knowing which is the object after.

Again - thanks for your great software and your time 😀.

Reply 1449 of 1699, by Falcosoft

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
DOSShark wrote on 2023-05-10, 18:13:
Thanks for your quick reply about the additional vst slots. Cant wait for your new release :). At the risk of sounding greedy - […]
Show full quote

Thanks for your quick reply about the additional vst slots. Cant wait for your new release 😀.
At the risk of sounding greedy - would it be hard to have the number of plugin slots dynamic? So users can choose e.g. 1-99 plugins?
I dont know if you treat these slots as objects in your programming code with an input / output stream which just would need to be connected by knowing which is the object after.

Again - thanks for your great software and your time 😀.

Hi,
I think if you really need that many plugins you should use a real DAW instead. For FSMP that many plugins would cause a UI disaster.

Reply 1450 of 1699, by stu_e_hughes

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Falcosoft wrote on 2023-05-10, 10:35:
Hi, Since Munt VSTi (MT-32 emulation) is integrated into Midi Player's package you only have to download S-YXG50 VSTi plugin se […]
Show full quote
stu_e_hughes wrote on 2023-05-10, 09:27:
Hi everyone. Apologies for hijacking this thread but maybe you could point me in the right direction. I'm trying to get a basic […]
Show full quote

Many thanks!!!

Hi,
Since Munt VSTi (MT-32 emulation) is integrated into Midi Player's package you only have to download S-YXG50 VSTi plugin separately to have a GM/GS/XG/MT-32 setup.
Munt VSTi can be found in Midi Player's own VST\MuntVsti folder. S-YXG50 VSTi can be downloaded from here:
https://veg.by/en/projects/syxg50/
For GM/GS you can also use SF2 soundfonts (Bassmidi is also inegrated).
Then you should configure each plugin and save the configuration as a Configuration Preset. If you are ready you can switch between presets manually or even from DosBox with the help of SysEx messages. More info:
Re: Falcosoft Soundfont Midi Player + Munt VSTi + BassMidi VSTi
Re: Ways to make your MT-32 MIDIs sound right

In order to use SysEx switching you can download prepared files from here:
https://www.philscomputerlab.com/uploads/3/7/ … 621/midiemu.zip

Some How-to videos from Phil:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zRyPjvbDkvg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vSk9S1bkRS8

Thank you so much for taking the time to respond. It was really helpful and I have my MT-32 setup now and have been listening to some Monkey Island!!!!

I think as a newbie I was generally confused with the difference between instruments and sound fonts.

Thanks again for the help and for your great MIDI player!!!!

Reply 1451 of 1699, by stu_e_hughes

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Just one more quick question here about my MIDI setup. As the SC-55 also supports/plays/emulates (i'm not sure what to call it) MT-32 MIDI. Can I just run ALL of my MIDI for my DOS games (ones that were designed for MT-32) and play it through my Sound Canvas VA, and the SCVA will automatically convert/play the MT-32 MIDI for me?

Reply 1452 of 1699, by Falcosoft

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
stu_e_hughes wrote on 2023-05-12, 06:33:

Just one more quick question here about my MIDI setup. As the SC-55 also supports/plays/emulates (i'm not sure what to call it) MT-32 MIDI. Can I just run ALL of my MIDI for my DOS games (ones that were designed for MT-32) and play it through my Sound Canvas VA, and the SCVA will automatically convert/play the MT-32 MIDI for me?

No, neither SC-55 nor SC-VA can emulate MT-32 fully. Only Munt can.
Both SC-55 and SC-VA have an anemic MT-32 mode that can only be used for games/Midi files that do not use custom instruments/patches. These are a rather small subset of all MT-32 games/Midi files.
And there is no automatic conversion. You have to put SC-VA/SC-55 into MT-32 mode manually.
(In Midi Player's SysEx folder you can find 'GS_MT32_Mode.syx' so you can try this mode.)
More Info:
Re: Dreamblaster S2 - MT32 mode

Reply 1453 of 1699, by DOSShark

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello Falcosoft, i was able to test out your current development build from "now" and discovered, you already added 8 vsti slots. Wow - that was fast 😀.
If its ok id like to "bug report" my experiences.

The 4 new slots have bugs when i set a settings file for the plugin and have it auto load. The software says cant load plugin. In fact the plugins are loaded, but the settingsfile wont be loaded. If i uncheck auto load settings file - all is fine. Surprisingly loading the settingsfile manually after the plugin has been loaded works like a charm.

Hopefully i can help you with this feedback.
Thanks - DS

Reply 1454 of 1699, by Falcosoft

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
DOSShark wrote on 2023-05-12, 12:33:
Hello Falcosoft, i was able to test out your current development build from "now" and discovered, you already added 8 vsti slots […]
Show full quote

Hello Falcosoft, i was able to test out your current development build from "now" and discovered, you already added 8 vsti slots. Wow - that was fast 😀.
If its ok id like to "bug report" my experiences.

The 4 new slots have bugs when i set a settings file for the plugin and have it auto load. The software says cant load plugin. In fact the plugins are loaded, but the settingsfile wont be loaded. If i uncheck auto load settings file - all is fine. Surprisingly loading the settingsfile manually after the plugin has been loaded works like a charm.

Hopefully i can help you with this feedback.
Thanks - DS

Hi,
Thanks for the report. I think it's fixed now:

Reply 1456 of 1699, by basic

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi, Falcosoft.
Now I using 3 MidiPlayer, the one is playing MIDI files, other two are VST host because this can receive MIDI signal from each input port (Port A and B).
This is my best VST host application until now.
so I want to suggest...

Suggest 1. Want to disable Warning dialog when starting 2nd MidiPlayer with /tray option.
I set to launch two MidiPlayer with tray mode when start Windows.
but I watch warning dialog when every booting Windows.
can you add a command line option? (like '/quiet')

Suggest 2. Reset only active port from WinMM_MultiPortVsti.
I using two MidiPlayer for VST host, Port A used for MIDI Mapper, Port B used for DOS emulator.
But WinMM_MultiPortVsti send reset to all ports when starting MIDI files now, Port B is messed when I playing games with MIDI from DOS emulator.
I suggest, make a checkbox to toggle active ports or all.
I expect WinMM_MultiPortVsti can reset only assigned ports with 'Ch 01-16' when play standard 16ch MIDI files,
and reset only assigned ports with 'Ch 01-16' and 'Ch 17-32' when play 32ch MIDI files.

Thanks for making great software!

Reply 1457 of 1699, by DOSShark

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi Falcosoft - its me again.
Another "bug report" from my side:
I use your software on a windows pc with 2 screens. But the program doesnt save the window positions. It tries to put all windows on the screen where the main program is situated and all my window arrangements get lost. I dont think this was always the case - was it? Didnt it have multi screen support?

Have a nice weekend 😀

Reply 1458 of 1699, by Falcosoft

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
basic wrote on 2023-05-13, 12:43:
Hi, Falcosoft. Now I using 3 MidiPlayer, the one is playing MIDI files, other two are VST host because this can receive MIDI sig […]
Show full quote

Hi, Falcosoft.
Now I using 3 MidiPlayer, the one is playing MIDI files, other two are VST host because this can receive MIDI signal from each input port (Port A and B).
This is my best VST host application until now.
so I want to suggest...

Suggest 1. Want to disable Warning dialog when starting 2nd MidiPlayer with /tray option.
I set to launch two MidiPlayer with tray mode when start Windows.
but I watch warning dialog when every booting Windows.
can you add a command line option? (like '/quiet')

Suggest 2. Reset only active port from WinMM_MultiPortVsti.
I using two MidiPlayer for VST host, Port A used for MIDI Mapper, Port B used for DOS emulator.
But WinMM_MultiPortVsti send reset to all ports when starting MIDI files now, Port B is messed when I playing games with MIDI from DOS emulator.
I suggest, make a checkbox to toggle active ports or all.
I expect WinMM_MultiPortVsti can reset only assigned ports with 'Ch 01-16' when play standard 16ch MIDI files,
and reset only assigned ports with 'Ch 01-16' and 'Ch 17-32' when play 32ch MIDI files.

Thanks for making great software!

Hi,
1. OK, I think it can be disabled, but instead of using 2 hidden instances I suggest that you should use 1 instance and configuration presets to switch between the 2 input ports. I suspect you are using the 2 input ports exclusively that is either input port 1 or input port 2 is active but not both at the same time.

2. This is not the case. WinMM_MultiPortVsti does NOT send explicit Resets to all ports. Actually it sends reset to no ports at all.
It simply opens the ports that you select to to be active and initializes its own streams and buffers (by using standard WinMM functions) . It cannot do this other way since the plugin itself has no idea about "Midi files" so it also cannot tell the difference between 16 vs. 32 channel Midi files. In the plugin's context there are no such things as Midi files only separate incoming Midi messages.
I think you look at this the other way around. The port can be considered active only because you selected it to be active.

WinMM_MultiPortVsti only routes separate Midi messages to different active (opened) ports. It cannot open a port just before a message arrives since opening a port and initializing it is a lengthy process. Actually it is already rather complicated to synchronize the timings of independent ports. When you activate a new port the plugin has to restart all other active ports (more precisely streams) internally to achieve this.

PS: In traditional WinMM Midi Out port implementations the ports are not shared resources and only 1 client can use them at a given time.
Later clients that try to use already opened ports get an error message.
Some virtual cables implemented multi client capabilities but the burden is on the virtual cable how to treat such scenarios.
In this respect there can be differences between different virtual cables so you should try e.g. Midi Yoke if you use LoopMidi or vice versa.

Reply 1459 of 1699, by Falcosoft

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

@Basic:
"/traysilent" parameter has been added.

@DOSShark:
Yeah, VST/VSTi dialogs were set to be displayed on the same monitor as the main form. I do not remember the exact reason why so I have modified them to behave the same as other dialogs.

new test version: