VOGONS

Reply 1040 of 1688, by Ar2r4eg

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello, i have some problem with midi emulation
I use SOFTMPU with Configured MUNT plugin with MT-32 roms. I can't hear any sounds loading over midi with strl game, like PQ3 and HOC.
I use cheap usb-midi cable from ali like that https://aliexpress.ru/item/4000223511863.html … searchweb201603_

And loading parts have no names in channels lisl (see screenshot).
problem.jpg

Is any wron setting i do in MP5 ? Can help me please.

PS In GM mode with Roland, Yamaha plugins or loaded soundfont i have no issue.
PS2 Also i try to connet directly to music quest MPU-401 interface - result is the sane, i can hear some parts.

My hardware:
enough for my wife to hate

Reply 1041 of 1688, by Falcosoft

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Ar2r4eg wrote on 2020-04-11, 13:11:
Hello, i have some problem with midi emulation I use SOFTMPU with Configured MUNT plugin with MT-32 roms. I can't hear any sound […]
Show full quote

Hello, i have some problem with midi emulation
I use SOFTMPU with Configured MUNT plugin with MT-32 roms. I can't hear any sounds loading over midi with strl game, like PQ3 and HOC.
I use cheap usb-midi cable from ali like that https://aliexpress.ru/item/4000223511863.html … searchweb201603_

And loading parts have no names in channels lisl (see screenshot).
problem.jpg

Is any wron setting i do in MP5 ? Can help me please.

PS In GM mode with Roland, Yamaha plugins or loaded soundfont i have no issue.
PS2 Also i try to connet directly to music quest MPU-401 interface - result is the sane, i can hear some parts.

Hi,
To determine if the problem is the cable/hardware or your software configuration first you should try your games with a local DosBox instance and a virtual Midi cable (like LoopMidi). If your games work with local DosBox + LoopMidi then your problem is definitely not Midi Player related but your hardware (either cable, or too fast host Dos PC, etc.)

@Edit:
Someone earlier had a similar problem and it was CPU speed related:
Re: Falcosoft Soundfont Midi Player + Munt VSTi + BassMidi VSTi
You should also read the few posts before the above linked one to get a broader picture about other troubleshooting steps.

Website, Facebook, Youtube
Falcosoft Soundfont Midi Player + Munt VSTi + BassMidi VSTi
VST Midi Driver Midi Mapper

Reply 1042 of 1688, by Ar2r4eg

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello, thank you for answer.
I use loopmidi virtual interface with dosbox and all works perfectly
noproblem.jpg

DOS host machie is 486DX2-66. Its normal pc for DOS, but i try disable L1 and L2 chaches, wait around 10 min when pathes is loadig, but result is bad - some parts not play.
Have methods to diagnose problem in data transfer over midi-usb cable ? Maybe some logs or something ?

My hardware:

Reply 1043 of 1688, by Falcosoft

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Ar2r4eg wrote on 2020-04-11, 14:16:
Hello, thank you for answer. I use loopmidi virtual interface with dosbox and all works perfectly https://i.ibb.co/190SLH5/nopro […]
Show full quote

Hello, thank you for answer.
I use loopmidi virtual interface with dosbox and all works perfectly
noproblem.jpg

DOS host machie is 486DX2-66. Its normal pc for DOS, but i try disable L1 and L2 chaches, wait around 10 min when pathes is loadig, but result is bad - some parts not play.
Have methods to diagnose problem in data transfer over midi-usb cable ? Maybe some logs or something ?

You can use Midi-OX to compare bad with good transfer. You can also try games that do not use custom instruments (that usually involves huge SysEx transfers). This way you can determine if the problem is SysEx transfer related or not.
Try e.g. Monkey Island 1 or Dune 1. According to your tests so far my number one tip is a cable/interface problem. Cheap cables notoriously have problems with huge SysEx chunks while work with simple Midi messages. If you can afford try a reliable Roland made cable instead.

Reply 1044 of 1688, by Ar2r4eg

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Yes, definitely problem is cheap cable. Money1 and Dune plays perfectly, but any game with massive sysex transfer not work.
But that cable also is glitchy and some times hangs. Need to off\on to resume operate.
I will go find some one roland cable.
Thanks for your help

My hardware:

Reply 1045 of 1688, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The cheap Chinese MIDI adapters are known to have issues with long SYSEX messages. The Linux USB MIDI driver has a fix patched in to address the problem, but I'm not aware of a Windows driver with such a fix.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 1046 of 1688, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

There are ways to fix these cables if you have the components and soldering skills, do a search on Google.

I looked into it at one point but bought a second hand M-Audio UNO instead and never looked back.

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 1047 of 1688, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

There's the issue with construction, but the FIFO also has problems. As I said, the Linux USB MIDI driver splits long SYSEX messages to work around it.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 1048 of 1688, by DevanWolf

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

There is a bug on Windows XP. When sending start/stop/clock messages enabled to external device I keep getting a Division by zero error. 5.7 on Windows Vista and later or 5.6 and earlier (has no Clock send support) on Windows XP work fine. What's going on there?

Reply 1049 of 1688, by flyingsaucer

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

First all thank you a lots Falcosoft for this wonderful piece of software. I would ask you the possibility to add a resizeable and detachable Piano ala "vanbasco". I think that midisoft player will become "The Facto" first midi player of all the time.
Best regards
Tony

Reply 1050 of 1688, by Falcosoft

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
DevanWolf wrote on 2020-04-16, 00:25:

There is a bug on Windows XP. When sending start/stop/clock messages enabled to external device I keep getting a Division by zero error. 5.7 on Windows Vista and later or 5.6 and earlier (has no Clock send support) on Windows XP work fine. What's going on there?

Hi,
Thanks for your report. I think I have found the problem but it's not XP related. It affected Midi files that have lower than 24 PPQN resolution. Maybe you have not used the same files under XP as under Vista+.
Anyway here's the new version you can try:
http://falcosoft.hu/midiplayer_58_test.zip

Reply 1051 of 1688, by Falcosoft

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
flyingsaucer wrote on 2020-04-16, 04:58:

First all thank you a lots Falcosoft for this wonderful piece of software. I would ask you the possibility to add a resizeable and detachable Piano ala "vanbasco". I think that midisoft player will become "The Facto" first midi player of all the time.
Best regards
Tony

Hi,
Maybe later. Currently I have no much free time so only bug fixes and minor modifications are possible.

Reply 1053 of 1688, by Falcosoft

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
kolderman wrote on 2020-04-30, 03:31:

Hi falconsoft can i run multiple instances at once, muting one or the other, so I can easily switch between them without restating the game?

Hi,
There is nothing in FSMP that prevents you to do this. Why have not you tried it?
The question is if you have a multi client capable Midi port. If you use DosBox you can use virtual Midi ports.
Midi-yoke/LoopMidi ports are multi-client capable so many instances of FSMP can connect to the same Midi In port.
But to tell you the truth I do not think this is the simplest solution. There are 'Configuration Presets' in FSMP so you can switch between different configurations with a single hotkey or even by sending SysEx commands directly from DosBox.
An example from me:
https://youtu.be/6CdJ7sEt8UM
And another from Phil:
https://youtu.be/zRyPjvbDkvg?t=12m6s

Reply 1054 of 1688, by kolderman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I will try it. My concern was that if the midi emulator did not recieve the initial commands from the game, it will sound broken when switching half way through. I am using a UM1 usb midi adapter as the primary input.

Reply 1055 of 1688, by Falcosoft

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
kolderman wrote on 2020-04-30, 06:31:

I will try it. My concern was that if the midi emulator did not recieve the initial commands from the game, it will sound broken when switching half way through. I am using a UM1 usb midi adapter as the primary input.

Ah OK, I understand now. You want to switch while the game is running. In this case yes, missing initial messages would cause problems.
So you should try, your success depends on the port not FSMP. If your port is not multi client capable you still can use +1 instance of FSMP as a router that receives messages from your UM1 and then sends messages to a multi client capable virtual port that other instances of FSMP can connect to.

@Edit:
Once James-F needed a similar solution and +1 instance of FSMP as a router worked for him:
Re: Falcosoft Soundfont Midi Player

Reply 1056 of 1688, by kolderman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

So I gave that a try and it works! Some nice suggestions - a mute button on the main interface would make it easier to switch one on/off rather than dragging the volume slider for each. Also, some kind of gain settings would be nice, as for me SCVA is very quiet at the same volume settings compared to the Yamaha plugin. That would allow me to match the volume levels nicely.

Thanks!

PS: Also, is there anything special I need to do to make it a dumb router? I.e. are all the other settings like midi maps and sysex settings ignored? All I did was unselect "Use Bass" and unselect "Midi Mapper", and then choose the output port as LoopMidi.

Reply 1057 of 1688, by Falcosoft

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
kolderman wrote on 2020-04-30, 09:31:

So I gave that a try and it works! Some nice suggestions - a mute button on the main interface would make it easier to switch one on/off rather than dragging the volume slider for each. Also, some kind of gain settings would be nice, as for me SCVA is very quiet at the same volume settings compared to the Yamaha plugin. That would allow me to match the volume levels nicely.

Thanks!

PS: Also, is there anything special I need to do to make it a dumb router? I.e. are all the other settings like midi maps and sysex settings ignored? All I did was unselect "Use Bass" and unselect "Midi Mapper", and then choose the output port as LoopMidi.

1. Maybe later 😀
2. You can use VST effect plugins for gaining. In FSMP's package you can find my SimpleGainVST plugin in the VST folder. It works well as a constant gain solution. But you can also use LoudMax as a more advanced gain plugin.
https://loudmax.blogspot.com/
3. No, you do not have to do anything special. By default no filter/modification is applied to incoming Midi messages. (Make sure 'SysEx Options' -> 'Enable SysEx from Midi in' is enabled. It is by default)

Last edited by Falcosoft on 2020-04-30, 10:14. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 1058 of 1688, by kolderman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I also realized that *always* using the usb2loopMidi router is ideal ... so all my other FSMP instances always just point at loopMidi for input ... and if I decide to change the input to the router I can do so without having to change the configuration of the actual emulator instances.

And I am not too fussed at the mute button ... as I discovered having both SCVA and XG50 running at the same time actually produced a very rich, nice sound so I just left it that way! 😂

PS: and I will check out the gain solution, but I realized I also have an analogue solution which is to use my mixer as a pre-amp for just the midi input so that SCVA is playing at nice levels, then just set XG50 at a lower setting to be the same volume. I am sure the X-Fi software also has ways to boost volume output as well.

Reply 1059 of 1688, by Falcosoft

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
kolderman wrote on 2020-04-30, 10:14:

PS: and I will check out the gain solution, but I realized I also have an analogue solution which is to use my mixer as a pre-amp for just the midi input so that SCVA is playing at nice levels, then just set XG50 at a lower setting to be the same volume. I am sure the X-Fi software also has ways to boost volume output as well.

I do not think it will work as you described. You cannot use analogue pre-amp for Midi input signal. Midi messages are digital data. Also while X-Fi software must have ways to boost volume but it will affect both SC-VA and S-YXG50 output.
But lowering S-YXG50's inner volume is a nice idea since actually S-YXG50 is prone to clipping (too loud) by default. But if you want to increase SC-VA's volume level only I think the best way is a VST gain plugin.