VOGONS

Reply 1500 of 1726, by Monokuma

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
RetroGamer4Ever wrote on 2023-08-24, 13:50:

For Roland Sound Canvas, I just use the old Roland VSC-MP1/Virtual Sound Canvas, which is a 32-bit Roland Sound Canvas VST that Roland released over 20 years ago, for Roland GS MIDI creation and playback. The current Roland Sound Canvas VST (Sound Canvas VA) discontinued it's 32-bit releases in favor of 64-bit, as 64-bit Windows is the dominant OS by a wide margin and they don't want to waste support resources on 32-bit software anymore.

I'm not sure if this is the same one I have in my archive:
Edirol%20Virtual%20SoundCanvas%20VSC-MP1%20-%2001%20-%20Screen.png
I admit, this is a point, it's 32bit library/VST - and it works fine with MidiPlayer.
You may agree with me or not, but in my opinion newer version of Roland SC having richer flavour of sound.

Reply 1501 of 1726, by Monokuma

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Falcosoft wrote on 2023-08-24, 14:05:
Hi, 1. SC-VA v1.1.6 i rather new than old. The original 'old' offline verison offered both 32-bit and 64-bit plugin versions. Th […]
Show full quote

Hi,
1. SC-VA v1.1.6 i rather new than old. The original 'old' offline verison offered both 32-bit and 64-bit plugin versions. The new cloud version only offers the 64-bit plugin. You still can download the old offline trial version but AFAIK you cannot get the license legally anymore. But old trial version with 32-bit plugin can still be legally downloaded:
https://static.roland.com/assets/media/zip/sc … a_win_trial.zip
2. If you cannot get a 'workaround' to use the 32-bit SC-VA then you should use the 64-bit version of Midi Player together with JBridge v1.76+:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/zqkhao2rjy16u2o/jBr … ersion.zip?dl=1
Midi Player has built in JBridge support so after installing it you can open 32-bit plugins from th 64-bit version of Midi Player (and actually vice versa). Since S-YXG50 is the more simple and compatible plugin it works better with JBridge. That's why I recommend to use the 64-bit version of Midi Player with the native 64-bit SC-VA and the 32-bit verision of S-YXG50 through JBridge.
3. Right above your post you can find a video about nice sounding Roland specific Midi files 😀 But here it is again:
https://youtu.be/edHM21rWXRg
4. If you want authentic Roland or Yamaha Midi sound SoundBlasters will not help much ( and never helped). Depending on the exact SB model they only offer you hardware SF2 soundfont compatible synths. So you can use soundfonts but nowadays I think software solutions like Bassmidi can offer the same or more in terms of quality and features.

Hi Zoltan, thanks for all your answers.

1. As you may've seen on my previous post, I still have some even older Roland VST, comparing to my 1.1.6 offline version. Sure, I may accept the solution trying to use trial version of newest one, but not sure it it's worthy to use it, if it will be beneficial for any reason.
2. I will try to use JBridge and see if this solution is better for me, or maybe is good idea trying to keep both 32 and 64 bit versions. But obviously I got this point and uderstand common sense of migration to 64bit versions.
3. It really hard to bring those memories back I had more than 20 years ago. I'm not remember titles, artists or even model of Roland I heard back then. I lost so many MIDI files from my huge collection, and now I will try to rebuild it back. I realise I was changed over those years, and my taste changed as well, but I will be trying to find my favourite flavour again.
4. SoundBlaster and SoundBanks - are just good memories. It can't be compared as this hardware or software is not in my posession anymore. I agree with you and don't want rely on soundfonts and most interesting thing is using VST plugins.

One more question, before I forget. I have seen Roland, Yamaha, but what about Korg? Is not popular or maybe is so complicated and not really compatible to use any plugins if they are existing?

Reply 1502 of 1726, by Falcosoft

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Monokuma wrote on 2023-08-24, 14:41:
.... 1. As you may've seen on my previous post, I still have some even older Roland VST, comparing to my 1.1.6 offline version. […]
Show full quote

1. As you may've seen on my previous post, I still have some even older Roland VST, comparing to my 1.1.6 offline version. Sure, I may accept the solution trying to use trial version of newest one, but not sure it it's worthy to use it, if it will be beneficial for any reason.
One more question, before I forget. I have seen Roland, Yamaha, but what about Korg? Is not popular or maybe is so complicated and not really compatible to use any plugins if they are existing?

1. Once again: your 64-bit version is the newer one. The offline trial version that is still available for download is from 2017 and has a version number of 1.0.3. I do not think that your v1.1.6 can be 'offline' legally it's one of the cloud versions 😀
2. Sincerely I have never met a full featured Korg VSTi plugin so far but I have to admit that I have not looked for it thoroughly either.

Last edited by Falcosoft on 2023-08-24, 14:56. Edited 1 time in total.

Website, Facebook, Youtube
Falcosoft Soundfont Midi Player + Munt VSTi + BassMidi VSTi
VST Midi Driver Midi Mapper

Reply 1503 of 1726, by RetroGamer4Ever

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

All the KORG VSTs I've seen are for advanced music creation and not for simple MIDI playback or creation like the ones we discuss here, so there's no reason for you to go chasing those down, unless you somehow have MIDI files that fit with the old KORG hardware workstations. KORG unsuccessfully dipped their toes into the desktop MIDI module market and released some XG-compatible hardware, but none of those ever took any market share from the Roland and Yamaha user market that also used VSTs and Software Synth.

Last edited by RetroGamer4Ever on 2023-08-24, 15:03. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 1504 of 1726, by RetroGamer4Ever

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Monokuma wrote on 2023-08-24, 14:09:
I'm not sure if this is the same one I have in my archive: https://ia904506.us.archive.org/4/items/virtual-sound-canvas-vsti-vsc […]
Show full quote
RetroGamer4Ever wrote on 2023-08-24, 13:50:

For Roland Sound Canvas, I just use the old Roland VSC-MP1/Virtual Sound Canvas, which is a 32-bit Roland Sound Canvas VST that Roland released over 20 years ago, for Roland GS MIDI creation and playback. The current Roland Sound Canvas VST (Sound Canvas VA) discontinued it's 32-bit releases in favor of 64-bit, as 64-bit Windows is the dominant OS by a wide margin and they don't want to waste support resources on 32-bit software anymore.

I'm not sure if this is the same one I have in my archive:
Edirol%20Virtual%20SoundCanvas%20VSC-MP1%20-%2001%20-%20Screen.png
I admit, this is a point, it's 32bit library/VST - and it works fine with MidiPlayer.
You may agree with me or not, but in my opinion newer version of Roland SC having richer flavour of sound.

Yes, I use that one and I find it works wonderfully for pretty much every GM/GS game and MIDI file that I throw at it, whereas the XG VST can be hit or miss with GM/GS usage. If you leave it in GS mode, it should work perfectly for gaming and MIDI file playback, if you are using the latest VST MIDI Driver referenced elsewhere. For GM2/GM, the Roland Hyper Canvas VST is just a bit better, but it's also somewhat buggy, so your results may vary with that.

Reply 1505 of 1726, by Monokuma

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Falcosoft wrote on 2023-08-24, 14:51:

1. Once again: your 64-bit version is the newer one. The offline trial version that is still available for download is from 2017 and has a version number of 1.0.3. I do not think that your v1.1.6 can be 'offline' legally it's one of the cloud versions 😀

I didn't wanted to mislead anyone or confused. This version has been given to me.

RetroGamer4Ever wrote on 2023-08-24, 15:00:

Yes, I use that one and I find it works wonderfully for pretty much every GM/GS game and MIDI file that I throw at it, whereas the XG VST can be hit or miss with GM/GS usage. If you leave it in GS mode, it should work perfectly for gaming and MIDI file playback, if you are using the latest VST MIDI Driver referenced elsewhere. For GM2/GM, the Roland Hyper Canvas VST is just a bit better, but it's also somewhat buggy, so your results may vary with that.

As mentioned before, I'm trying to re-build my MIDI collection and this is a reason I'm trying to find more old songs and for now, I realise I found one with better flavour on "old" Roland than new one. Not in GS mode, but in GM2.

Reply 1506 of 1726, by RetroGamer4Ever

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

GM2 files are pretty much non-existent and it was never used in games, so the only thing you'll get out of a GM2 synth like Hyper Canvas is good GM sound for your GM files and games. I use HyperCanvas with the QuestStudios MIDI files and it sounds awesome with the GM ones, though sometimes the EQ/balancing is off, because they were intended for old GM/GS hardware that performs differently than a software synth.

Reply 1507 of 1726, by Monokuma

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

@RetroGamer4Ever - I'm not saying I found good GM2 file, just saying one of my old midi files got a better flavour, is giving me more nostalgic memories when I'm listening in GM2 mode. I can't tell what was closer to original. My come-back to MIDI world is not related to games at all, just purely for old music listening and bringing good memories.

Reply 1508 of 1726, by Falcosoft

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

@Offtopic:
An interesting story about the host detection method of VST plugins written in the JUCE framework:
Re: VST Midi Driver Midi Mapper

Reply 1509 of 1726, by RetroGC

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

HI.

Sorry for bothering again; I don't remember if already asked for this. Can you add other kind's of interpolation (not only Sinc interpolation), maybe cubic and others? As sinc imho sometimes produce noisy results.

Thank you for your help.

Aldo

My Videogames Music Channel:
https://www.youtube.com/c/RetroGamesClub

Reply 1510 of 1726, by Falcosoft

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
RetroGC wrote on 2023-10-21, 23:38:
HI. […]
Show full quote

HI.

Sorry for bothering again; I don't remember if already asked for this. Can you add other kind's of interpolation (not only Sinc interpolation), maybe cubic and others? As sinc imho sometimes produce noisy results.

Thank you for your help.

Aldo

Hi,
No, I cannot. Only linear (2-point) and 8/16 point sinc interpolation is availabe in Bassmidi:
https://www.un4seen.com/doc/#bassmidi/BASS_AT … B_MIDI_SRC.html

In case of FSMP sinc off means linear and sinc on means 16-point sinc interpolation.

BTW, I do not think that cubic (which is 4-point) would produce better results than 16-point sinc interpolation.
https://csoundjournal.com/ezine/summer2000/in … nals/index.html

Reply 1511 of 1726, by RetroGC

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Can you let me select 8 or 16 point please? Cubic on bass imho is absolutely better, sinc is usually good but produce artifact especially at higher level.
If you can let me select 8 / 16 point sinc interpolation adding a box I would really appreciate it. Recording single channels, depending on instruments results may change so I think for what I do it would be great.
Thank you.
Aldo

Reply 1512 of 1726, by Falcosoft

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
RetroGC wrote on 2023-10-22, 07:04:
Can you let me select 8 or 16 point please? Cubic on bass imho is absolutely better, sinc is usually good but produce artifact e […]
Show full quote

Can you let me select 8 or 16 point please? Cubic on bass imho is absolutely better, sinc is usually good but produce artifact especially at higher level.
If you can let me select 8 / 16 point sinc interpolation adding a box I would really appreciate it.
Thank you.
Aldo

First I need evidence. The claim "sinc is usually good but produce artifact especially at higher level" is against the theories I know. But here is a test version that uses fixed 8-point sinc interpolation when the corresponding sinc on option is selected.
So try it, and report back if it is really better than 16-point for you.

Filename
MidiPlayer_8pointsinctest.zip
File size
421.8 KiB
Downloads
40 downloads
File license
Public domain

Reply 1513 of 1726, by RetroGC

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

HI,
starting to work with Nintendo DS soundtrack has been almost a nightmare. It's about 20 days' I'm figuring out how to obtain the best results, but I think Bass Midi is not the way, as Nintendo DS Soundfont are usually with poor sample. Trying to find a solution i discovered this internet site:
https://www.schristiancollins.com/generaluser.php
And one of his video really interesting concerning Bass Midi:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qid15khj68k&t=497s
I've done tons of recording , and I've to say that fluidsynth output according to my ear and my taste produce a 1better output, maybe for differences in lowpass filtering, but there's no software able to record midi with it for my needs.
Maybe in future you could consider to implement that library too.
Aldo

Reply 1514 of 1726, by Falcosoft

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
RetroGC wrote on 2023-11-05, 20:33:
HI, starting to work with Nintendo DS soundtrack has been almost a nightmare. It's about 20 days' I'm figuring out how to obtain […]
Show full quote

HI,
starting to work with Nintendo DS soundtrack has been almost a nightmare. It's about 20 days' I'm figuring out how to obtain the best results, but I think Bass Midi is not the way, as Nintendo DS Soundfont are usually with poor sample. Trying to find a solution i discovered this internet site:
https://www.schristiancollins.com/generaluser.php
And one of his video really interesting concerning Bass Midi:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qid15khj68k&t=497s
I've done tons of recording , and I've to say that fluidsynth output according to my ear and my taste produce a 1better output, maybe for differences in lowpass filtering, but there's no software able to record midi with it for my needs.
Maybe in future you could consider to implement that library too.
Aldo

I think the key point is starting at 5:04 in the video that you linked above. Namely Bassmidi deliberately wants to emulate the SB line of soundcards from Creative. This is not restricted to filter behavior but also to bank addressing modes and other aspects. Personally the reason why I always liked Bassmidi better compared to FluidSynth is that it emulated better the SB hardware SF2 synths. This aspect of Bassmidi is confirmed in the video.
The Nintendo DS is not and has never been an SF2 using device. So called SF2 soundfonts are just an afterthought in order to be able to use the Nintendo DS sounds on other platforms.
FSMP in its original form was meant to be used only on SB hardware. It was a relief to discover a library (BassMidi) that has the same feature set as SB HW synths so you could handle and play soundfonts the same way as on SB HW.
FSMP has never been meant to be used as a recording station for all kinds of sound engineering.
I do not think that adding another soundfont engine to the project would be so useful that it would be worth the efforts.

Last edited by Falcosoft on 2023-11-05, 21:43. Edited 2 times in total.

Reply 1515 of 1726, by RetroGC

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Falcosoft wrote on 2023-11-05, 21:15:

The Nintendo DS is not and has never been an SF2 using device. So called SF2 soundfonts are just an afterthought in order to be able to use the Nintendo DS sounds on other platforms.

Absolutely, I agree!! I think that chance to have nintendo DS music (as well as GBA and other system) as General midi and SoundFont 2.0 has been a great improvement.
It's possible to have single tracks, mix and apply VST to each track individually. I think this is great! But some track produce artifact, that's why i'm going mad 🙁 to reduce that kind of issue and to my ear output produced by fluidsynth is really good and sometimes, reduce this kind of artifacts. That's why I was asking.

Reply 1516 of 1726, by Roland User

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi Zoltan Bacsko!

Please make vst plugin for passtrought midi ) now very no comfortable what need select devices for WMP and games in DOSBOX and other emulators ) me neeed select which midi ports I want use in application) I want do so be , to I onece select port for input , and in plugin can select for output )

Reply 1517 of 1726, by Falcosoft

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Roland User wrote on 2023-11-29, 10:56:

Hi Zoltan Bacsko!

Please make vst plugin for passtrought midi ) now very no comfortable what need select devices for WMP and games in DOSBOX and other emulators ) me neeed select which midi ports I want use in application) I want do so be , to I onece select port for input , and in plugin can select for output )

Hi,
If I understand you correctly then I think this plugin has already been written. It is called WinMM Multiport VSTi and can be found in Midiplayer's package in the VST folder.

Reply 1518 of 1726, by Roland User

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Thank you ) yes , this then what I search

But I have question)
Whether there is a opportunity make 64 bit wrapper for 32 bit VST plugins ? This need for YAMAHA Vampire , because if create very googd samples for this synthesizer , to need load over 2 GB samples , now VST load in SAVIHost x86 with limit 1,8-1,9 GB for samples) I very want have VST wraper x64 which can recive 32bit dll and load this dll in 64 bit address space ) this possible ?

Reply 1519 of 1726, by Roland User

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

But WinMM Multiport VSTi can improve in this version plugin can resend midi to select device , and plugin have button Reset / Resync All synths , but hovewer this no work , if accuracing , this not give select as reset synths , GM , GM2 , GS , XG , MT-32 , as add modes for reset ?