VOGONS

First post, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Well as of just right now, Jazz Jackrabbit 1 and 2 and Epic Pinball so far. Hopefully their digital storefront debut breaks that mail order barrier that's been haunting the pre-Unreal catalogue for over 20 years...

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 2 of 10, by konc

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Excellent, thanks for the heads-up. We need these kind of things.
Edit: just saw the prices, oh well I'll just wait for the almost certain 80-90% discount once they age a bit in the catalog. Still, I applaud the addition and wish for more "good old games".

Reply 3 of 10, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
konc wrote:

Excellent, thanks for the heads-up. We need these kind of things.
Edit: just saw the prices, oh well I'll just wait for the almost certain 80-90% discount once they age a bit in the catalog. Still, I applaud the addition and wish for more "good old games".

Yep, me too. Into my wishlist and will wait some time for them to be eligible for huge discount sales 😉

@leileilol - thanks for the heads up.

If anyone nabs these, report back if they work on period correct hardware.

The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know.
OPL3 FM vs. Roland MT-32 vs. General MIDI DOS Game Comparison
Let's benchmark our systems with cache disabled
DOS PCI Graphics Card Benchmarks

Reply 4 of 10, by JayCeeBee64

User metadata
Rank Retired
Rank
Retired

Grabbed all three in a bundle yesterday 😊

Epic Pinball works great and without any issues in my P166MMX PC; it's the CD version with the African Safari bonus table. Just copy everything in the Epic Pinball folder (leave the DOSBOX folder behind 😈 ), run SETUP.EXE to configure your sound card, and play to your heart's content 😁

The Jazz Jackrabbit Collection also works great in my P166MMX; it's the CD version with the 3 extra episodes and Holiday Hare 94 😄. Holiday Hare 95 is also included in folder HH95. Copy all files inside the Jazz Jackrabbit folder, run SETUP.EXE, and play; for Holiday Hare 95, copy the HH95 folder. Maximum enjoyment awaits 😀

(To GUS users: for some unfathomable reason, Holiday Hare 95 is missing the GUS sound driver. Never fear though, go to the Jazz Jackrabbit folder and copy MDRV003D.MUS to the HH95 folder. Voila! The GUS option is available and works wonderfully! 😎 ).

Not much of a Jazz Jackrabbit 2 fan, so I haven't installed the Jazz 2 Collection yet. I've also read about some issues in the GOG forums (mostly DEP and episode/level selection related) so I'll wait for a bit to see if they get ironed out.

Extras are almost nonexistent; Epic Pinball doesn't have any, Jazz Jackrabbit has a PDF of the On-Disk Manual (text only), and Jazz Jackrabbit 2 has a PDF scan of the printed manual (multi language European version without the comic). Sorely missing are printed manual PDF scans for both Epic Pinball and Jazz Jackrabbit; hopefully GOG will correct this oversight at a later date.

qmlByLMl.png

Now to get back and continue playing Jazz Jackrabbit. Devan Shell must be crushed - again! 😏

PS: Almost forgot, Jazz Jackrabbit Collection is not patched against the Borland Runtime Error 200 issue. No biggie though, just go to this webpage and follow the outlined steps.

https://www.jazz2online.com/articles/view.php?articleID=17

Now you can play Jazz in any fast PC without any worries 😎

Ooohh, the pain......

Reply 5 of 10, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

@JayCeeBee64

Thanks for reporting that! Would you mind adding to Phil's Digital DOS spreadsheet as well? If not, I think you gave enough info that I could input them with what you reported.
Digital DOS games (GOG, Steam...) Retro PC Compatibility Sheet: We need your input!

The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know.
OPL3 FM vs. Roland MT-32 vs. General MIDI DOS Game Comparison
Let's benchmark our systems with cache disabled
DOS PCI Graphics Card Benchmarks

Reply 6 of 10, by JayCeeBee64

User metadata
Rank Retired
Rank
Retired
clueless1 wrote:

Would you mind adding to Phil's Digital DOS spreadsheet as well?
Digital DOS games (GOG, Steam...) Retro PC Compatibility Sheet: We need your input!

Done 😀

Will add a comment to that thread as well.

Ooohh, the pain......

Reply 7 of 10, by JayCeeBee64

User metadata
Rank Retired
Rank
Retired

Now that GOG has updated the Jazz Jackrabbit 2 Collection with hotfixes I went ahead installing it on my Win7-64 main PC to test it in my Win98SE gaming PC. Result: it works! \^^/

The whole process was actually painless, but you must first install the Collection in a current PC with Windows 7, 8, 8.1, or 10. To make it simple and easy to do, I followed these instructions I found at the GOG forums:

- Download Jazz Jackrabbit 2 Secret Files installer and run it.

- Download the installer for Christmas Chronicles and install it in the same folder as JJ2.

- Download the installer for JJ2+ from the goodies section and install it in the same folder as JJ2.

This way I got the game to work with sound, no crashes AND all the levels available in the episode select menu.

After making sure Jazz 2 is configured and works to your heart's content, copy the Jazz Jackrabbit 2 folder and run Jazz2.exe. You may have to reconfigure video, control and sound options but other than that you're done. Enjoy! 😀

Ooohh, the pain......

Reply 8 of 10, by Jolaes76

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Sorry for my ignorance,
but what does this mean in plain English ? Some titles were withheld from GoG re-releases without any reason...?

leileilol wrote:

Hopefully their digital storefront debut breaks that mail order barrier that's been haunting the pre-Unreal catalogue for over 20 years...

"Ita in vita ut in lusu alae pessima iactura arte corrigenda est."

Reply 10 of 10, by Jolaes76

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

That figures. Thank you for the heads-up!
Let's hope for the best (full Epic GoG releases at bargain prices).

"Ita in vita ut in lusu alae pessima iactura arte corrigenda est."