VOGONS

Reply 80 of 183, by Kordanor

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Thanks, yeah, that sounds in theory what I did, just with some additional steps.
I just tried 640x400, but that is cropping off a whole lot. And decimating it makes it look a whole lot worse for me.

That said, I think my result with just downscaling from 720x400 to 320x200 and then upscaled via OBS looked fine.
I mostly dislike that OBS has to do some scaling. That basically means that you can't set up VCS in a way that you have a fixed result for each game. Instead you would need to handle each game's resolution individually in OBS. And while I am not sure which game handles it that way, I am pretty sure that some games use multiple resolutions, e.g. when switching to a cutscene. The idea was to have VCS handle it, but automatically applying the proper scaling.
If a game uses 2 different resolutions, you would basically need to readjust everything in OBS for these moments. Like switching to a different source for the cutscene, as the cutscene would otherwise be tiny or huge. Or you set a fixed max size in OBS, but that would then apply to everything. So if your gameplay is 800x600 which you'd want to scale to 1440x1080 via an area upscaler and your cutscenes are 320x200 which you'd want to scale with nearest neighbour to 1280x1000, then that would not be possible that way. Unless there is a plugin for that which I am not aware of. Ofc that would be an extreme example, but same would be true for other resolution mixes. Best you could do for a game mixing 320x200 and 640x480 is to define a window in OBS of 1280x1000 and then have everything stretched to that view. Sure 1280x960 would have been better for that resolution, but you cant make that distinction. You could alternatively set a width of 1280 px, but then your 320x200 would automatically be scalled to 1280x800.

Attachments

• setup.PNG
    Filename
    setup.PNG
    File size
    11.69 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
  • decimated.png
    Filename
    decimated.png
    File size
    27.06 KiB
    Views
    File license
  • 720x400.png
    Filename
    720x400.png
    File size
    75.07 KiB
    Views
    File license
  • 640x400.png
    Filename
    640x400.png
    File size
    59.79 KiB
    Views
    File license

Reply 81 of 183, by vvbee

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Kordanor wrote on 2023-02-28, 12:17:

You can also use phase to shift the ghost from left to right, but never get rid of it (in general not just with decimate).

Try adjusting the analog horizontal size. Going by memory, some video cards don't put out a clean image at the exact size of the screen.

Kordanor wrote on 2023-02-28, 13:01:

As I don't see a way to split between a profile for 320x200 and 720x400 I wanted to do that via hotkey. However it seems like the hotkey does not work. The profile with the hotkey (as only condition) never gets activated by pressing the hotkey.

This could well be a bug. I can't remember the last time I used this feature.

Reply 84 of 183, by mockingbird

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
vvbee wrote on 2023-03-01, 08:04:

The 2.6.0 Windows binary was reportedly tagged as a trojan by Windows Defender. I've no way to verify it, so be aware.

Would you please send me a copy? (or better yet, build 2.6.1 for me)

mslrlv.png
(Decommissioned:)
7ivtic.png

Reply 85 of 183, by vvbee

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
mockingbird wrote on 2023-03-01, 14:22:
vvbee wrote on 2023-03-01, 08:04:

The 2.6.0 Windows binary was reportedly tagged as a trojan by Windows Defender. I've no way to verify it, so be aware.

Would you please send me a copy? (or better yet, build 2.6.1 for me)

I can give you the source code and build instructions, that's about it. Better that someone who actually uses Windows, can test the program properly with its hardware in that environment, and wants to correspond with Microsoft to deal with Windows Defender's heuristics maintains the Windows version.

Reply 87 of 183, by mockingbird

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
vvbee wrote on 2023-03-02, 01:17:

I can give you the source code and build instructions, that's about it. Better that someone who actually uses Windows, can test the program properly with its hardware in that environment, and wants to correspond with Microsoft to deal with Windows Defender's heuristics maintains the Windows version.

Yes, please. I'll take a shot at building it, eventhough I am completely inexperienced in this regard.

mslrlv.png
(Decommissioned:)
7ivtic.png

Reply 88 of 183, by havli

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I had the virus warning with the version 2.6.0 (using Windows Defender). After few days, it no longer reported the executable as infected, so I believe it was false alarm that was fixed at the Microsoft side. I have been using the VCS 2.6.0 since then almost every day and it works perfectly.

HW museum.cz - my collection of PC hardware

Reply 91 of 183, by agent_x007

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
vvbee wrote on 2023-03-02, 20:00:

Best for the Windows community if someone maintains the version and provides support for it. You can get better performance, 64-bit support, new features, etc.

Just to clarify :
Does this mean that ALL versions of VCS.exe made up to this point (ie. Windows ones up to v2.6.0), and that were previously available on Github, are permanently NOT available as download option via official channel (in this case, Github) ?

If above is correct :
Is uploading pre-made Windows version of VCS (that was previously downloaded from Github), to a cloud drive and/or upload website(service) for 3-rd party distribution, banned ?

Reply 92 of 183, by vvbee

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Basically GitHub was never intended as a permanent host for the binaries anyway. The couple of old Windows versions on there were no longer up since I want to direct people to the new version, and the new version is down because I can't guarantee it's clean, and with a malware warning many won't download it anyway. But I'd also rather see someone else take up the Windows work, so all in all I think it's better for me to force you guys into forking it proper rather than setting up mirrors of past versions where I'm the point of contact.

Reply 93 of 183, by agent_x007

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Which sucks for every Windows user, since even versions not flagged as malware are unavailable right now 🙁
I understand why you don't want to have anything to do with latest Windows version, but can last non-malware related one be put on Github or other downloadable service/website for archival purposes ?

Reply 94 of 183, by vvbee

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

All of the Windows releases ever starting from beta.1 in 2017 come from the same virtual machine, so I can't say much more for them than for the newest one. I think Windows Defender got it wrong, but that's just a guess - I can see where it's going though and I'm not interested in engaging in it.

I encourage you to put a version on GitHub. Fork VCS, branch from the 2.6.1 tag, and maintain it as a third-party Windows distribution. Pull new features from the VCS repo as applicable, and vice versa.

Reply 95 of 183, by Kordanor

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Before I was mentioning that the settings are not correctly applied. I stumbled over this again and I think I was able to narrow it down quite a bit.

So if you are capturing something on exactly 800 Horizontal size, this size is not applied. 799 and 801 work. 800 is the Size used for 640x480
I recorded a demonstration:
https://youtu.be/DJ64DnnECQM

Reply 96 of 183, by Kordanor

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
happy wrote on 2023-02-28, 21:45:

I should've read more closely what you posted, my bad.

Regardless of your output resolution, have you ever just set the resolution to 640x400 manually? Ignore what VCS auto detects it at. And horizontal size to 800.

Which version are you using?
Is it automatically applying in your case?
Check out the video i posted before. There is an issue with applying exactly 800. 801 and 799 works. But then the picture isnt sharp.

Reply 98 of 183, by vvbee

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I suspect the hardware doesn't support 641 x 480 as a capture resolution. There should be an error message in the console saying something to that effect, and the alias code doesn't handle the false return from the resolution forcer so the video mode doesn't get initialized properly. That's my guess anyway, as all alias functionality was removed in or after version 2.7.0.

Reply 99 of 183, by Kordanor

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
vvbee wrote on 2023-03-10, 11:04:

I suspect the hardware doesn't support 641 x 480 as a capture resolution. There should be an error message in the console saying something to that effect, and the alias code doesn't handle the false return from the resolution forcer so the video mode doesn't get initialized properly. That's my guess anyway, as all alias functionality was removed in or after version 2.7.0.

Ah, alrighty. Well, not a big issue anyways. Just something I stumbled over and wanted to note. 😀